Hacking Acekard 2i + DSi + 1.4.4U firmware = BAD?

ihatefixingcrap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All,

I have an Acekard 2i (HW 81) running on a DSi (with firmware 1.4.4U) I'm using Akaio version 1.9.0. (I've tried 1.8.9, 1,8.8, and others too)

The card is seen by the DSi and it loads properly. But no games will run. Sometimes they start but freeze. I installed the latest Moonshell and I am able to play videos and mp3s - so I think the MicroSD card is fine.

I ran the firmware update (following the awesome instructions here: http://wiki.gbatemp....AK2i_Bootloader)
And now when the card loads I see an icon for "RAFA NADAL TENNIS". Is this correct?

But games still won't run. I don't know what else to try. Is it possible to make this card work with 1.4.4U? Am I just wasting my time?
I'm hoping the experts on this board can help me out.

Thanks,

-Paul

loco365

Trophies
XP
Perhaps is it contact issues? Try putting a thick piece of paper behind the card and insert the Acekard in there after. Try after.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backup your games and saves, do a full format of your SD card using Panasonic SD Formatter, re-download a fresh copy of AKAIO 1.9.0, and put it all back on your SD card. If you continue to have issues, then I recommend you try using a different SD card. If you still continue to have issues, then it is likely the flashcart itself.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/AKAIO#Quick_Guide

ihatefixingcrap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lacius - I just tried everything you suggested. No luck. I did a full format (erase disk) and copied 1.9.0 back to it. No good. I then tried the 4gb MicroSD disk that I bought earlier tonight. No good with that disk either. Argh! Guess I need to RMA the disk. I'll contact the vendor.
Should this work though? Are there people out there with 1.4.4U + DSi + AKAIO 1.9.0? And it works? From what I've read, this is a valid configuration and it SHOULD work.

The really annoying thing is I've set up 2 Acekard 2i's (for my friend's 2 kids) and then when I try to do it for my son's DSi, it won't work. Great...

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
please turn on your dsi. when you see the acekard in the menu, start moving around your dsi. hold it above your head. hold it backwards. hold it upside down. even shake it a few times in each position.

now tell me, does it ever lose contact and the acekard icon disappears?

-another world

Strength

xenbld 4 ever!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Had the same problem a while back, for me the problem was i had both aio_ and and ak_ folders in my root then i deleted ak_ and it wokek..so make sure ur sd card dosnt have the folder ak_ on firmware 1.8.9.

JoshHamel

Trophies
XP
Where did you buy the card from?and where did you download the files for the firmware and games and stuff? THe card might be a clone

ihatefixingcrap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World - I'll give that a try to see if it loses contact. But what does Moonshell work with no problems? If it was a contact issue, I would think Moonshell would have problems playing videos.

Josh - I bought it from a site called Red Hot Stuff. It has the little shiny sticker on back with the serial number imprinted below it. Looks legit, I guess. I've purchased 2 other carts from here and those worked fine.

Firmware? Hmm. Don't recall where I got that from. I suppose I should be getting that from the Acekard site? I'll double-check that. And I'll check if I've got aio_ and ak_ folders in the root of the disk.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm kinda lost here....

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
it could be that those times you had moonshell working that everything was working in your favor. i really need to know if you can force the contact issue before i make more suggestions. contact issues can happen intermittently and at complete random. you can game for hours and not have an issue then all of a sudden you lose contact, the game won't save, etc. i've noticed far more contact issues on the dsi/xl than my other ds systems. in fact, i have a set of 10 cards set for beta testing that all have contact issues on my xl but not on my ds lite.

please check the anti-counterfeit code sticker found on the back. you can do so at acekard.com.

here is a guide for doing just that:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Anti-counterfeit_code

-another world

ihatefixingcrap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I formatted the SD card and re-installed AKAIO 1.9.0.

There doesn't seem to be an issue with card contact - I can shake the DSi and move it around and there are no problems.

I downloaded the latest firmware from here: http://www.acekard.com/download.php and installed it. (Again, I get the "RAFA NADAL TENNIS" icon when the DSi boots - I assume this is correct?)

I could play one game, but then I tried 2 or 3 others and they did not run.

I've tried a 4GB SD card and an 8GB SD card. I've formatted them using the Panasonic SD Formatter under both Windows and OSX. Still no luck. At this point, I give up. I submitted a request with the vendor for a replacement. (The place I got it from is actually called "Real Hot Stuff".) Hopefully, I can get this thing replaced quickly.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
are you putting on previously backed-up copies of files? it is possible that your msd card is fine, the fresh install of akaio is fine, but the backed-up files are all corrupted causing the card to corrupt. i've seen corruption issues caused from 1 single file that resulted in games not loading, the akaio menu displaying odd colors, soft-reset failing, etc. once that single file was found and replaced everything worked as expected.

you should consider verifying your roms as good/clean dumps by CRC against a known good set listing.

here is the one i like:
www.advanscene.com

also, please do check the anti-counterfeit code sticker.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Anti-counterfeit_code

-another world

ihatefixingcrap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I just tried my 8GB SD card in a neighbor's Acekard 2i. It worked fine.

I think I spotted the problem though. He has firmware 1.4.1. I have firmware 1.4.4U. His Acekard icon is Deep Labyrinth. My Acekard icon is Rafa Nadal Tennis.

According to the list here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Updating_the_AK2i_Bootloader

I should be seeing the Deep Labyrinth icon. Why do I get the Rafa Nadal one? That appears to be only for a 3DS firmare.

I'm getting the firmware from here: http://www.acekard.com/download.php

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the updated bootloaders support UP-TO that system revision. meaning that Rafa Nadal Tennis supports up-to dsi version 1.4.4. i have acekards flashed with it running on 1.4.1.

you could try downgrading to an older firmware, but if that is the reason it works it will be complete coincidence.

i think the problem is that your ak2i is having contact issues and his is not. does his ak2i work in your dsi? -- that would be an important step to see if the issue is with your dsi slot-1 or the ak2i itself.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom