Hacking Acekard 2.1 freezes when writing .sav file

By PoLOr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I received my "replacement" from DX yesterday it has the same issue. Now I have two cards that only play older games. Oh well. Hasney let me know if you get another one out of them. Looks like I need to shop for a different brand of flashcard. Any suggestions?

Gariscus

Former Team Cyclops Mod
Trophies
XP
Country
Get a Acekard 2i. Basically the same as Acekard 2.1 but without the save problem and DSi compatibility.

Corpus Scotty

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just to add to the melee,
I bought 5 AceKard 2 from Price Angels after Xmas and none of them would work with the microSD I also got from them.
Turns out the memory was fine - Kingston 8G - but the carts wouldn't play the roms on other memory I have from other cards bought last year from DX.
Got no response from AceKard, as I expected but did eventually get a reply from PA.
BTW, I also prised apart the carts, photographed the innards and forwarded these to AceKard for verification.

-I hope I managed to get them into this having never done it before-

Anyway, I think the replyer from PA was passing on a message as it didn't quite make sense:

"Could you try use kernel file v 1.4 please?

Have a nice day/evening
Jenny
PriceAngels Support team"

I figured this to mean AKAIO v1.4 which I eventually tracked down and installed. It works but I note it is dated Feb 2009 so I suspect some roms released after then might have issues.

So, I am relatively satisfied having learned on this forum AceKard isn't making AceKard 2s anymore and we have old stock that still runs old firmware and old roms. What else can we expect.

Cheers,
Scotty form Aus,
but why is my flag American?

theADDict

Trophies
XP
Country
Where exactly has this 'old batch' confirmation come from ? Seems more like a new batch that needs new firmware to me.
Has anyone received a different batch AFTER receiving troublesome cart ? I haven't head of any. Are they still producing these non saving on new firmware carts ??

Corpus Scotty

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now I'm in a quandry.

When I hadn't heard from Price Angels after 2 emails I started dispute resolution with PayPal.
I didn't hear anything through that forum and then jenny from sales replied to my earlier email and asked me to use "kernel v 1.4" as above.
PA have now replied through the dispute resolution in which the brief message was return the goods for exchange.

Christ on a stick!

I feel compelled to return the 5 carts and chance they will be exchanged for working ones.

None of this makes sense.

Why would PA be flogging really old stock that only runs really old firmware - as it turns out not all the roms make decent readable saves under akAIO v1.4 as I thought, (and sprouted above), but a lot of them do. The carts work better with akAIO v 1.4 than with later updates but the most reliable firmware seems to be ak v 4.07 that predates soft-rest and other system enhancements.

The AceKard 2s I have are version 2.1

This is all getting too hard as an earlier forum member identified. This will be my last hurrah then I will give up and order something new and other. But what?

Compos Scotty Mentis

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Corpus Scotty said:
Now I'm in a quandry.

When I hadn't heard from Price Angels after 2 emails I started dispute resolution with PayPal.
I didn't hear anything through that forum and then jenny from sales replied to my earlier email and asked me to use "kernel v 1.4" as above.
PA have now replied through the dispute resolution in which the brief message was return the goods for exchange.

Christ on a stick!

I feel compelled to return the 5 carts and chance they will be exchanged for working ones.

None of this makes sense.

Why would PA be flogging really old stock that only runs really old firmware - as it turns out not all the roms make decent readable saves under akAIO v1.4 as I thought, (and sprouted above), but a lot of them do. The carts work better with akAIO v 1.4 than with later updates but the most reliable firmware seems to be ak v 4.07 that predates soft-rest and other system enhancements.

The AceKard 2s I have are version 2.1

This is all getting too hard as an earlier forum member identified. This will be my last hurrah then I will give up and order something new and other. But what?

Compos Scotty Mentis

It's not PA, these bad carts are everywhere.

I would be nice in how you handle PA. Someone posted on here today they put in a dispute for the same bad batch carts from DX, and PayPal told them to shove off when they tried to get their money back. If you try to esculate the dispute PayPal may not do anything.

Canker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Got my replacement from DX today. Another HW 80 AceKard, which can't save games. Since I have two, I have opened one up and will tell you what exciting thing lives inside.

Here is what I found. The PCB is black, one side has hand written in what looks like a sharpy, "12." The other side has an IC on it which is made by spansion, with this written on it.

S29AL016J70TFI02
932BB274 K
© 07 SPANSION

Google told me me it's a 16MB 3V 70NS BTM SECTOR PBF.

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
after few hours of reading forums and almost breakin my nerves on this asskards
biggrin.gif
2.1 i finally got i working with every games even new ones like zelda
just use akaio 1.4.1 proper
edit : it was too good to be true... it doesn't reload my saves on mario inside browser

Canker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, cheers.

I tried the same thing and had no luck though.
frown.gif

keyra said:
after few hours of reading forums and almost breakin my nerves on this asskards
biggrin.gif
2.1 i finally got i working with every games even new ones like zelda
just use akaio 1.4.1 proper

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
second try with ak2_407_a15_20080626_release
this time zelda keeps its save, kirby too and i can play other mini games after rebooting first time
looks like we have a winner

Hasney

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They've offered me $5 store credit, or I can return the cards for a full refund.

I'm taking the credit, saves a lot of hassle and I can give the cards as gifts to friends who don't need the latest games and they might even be fixed eventually with software.

MisterKilroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I take it that buying one of these right now isn't such a fantastic idea?

You see, the only experience I have with this is a friend who has a TopToy. I looked at one of those, but an Acekard 2 seems to be the superior choice. Now I'm not so sure.

Terribly confused.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MisterKilroy said:
So I take it that buying one of these right now isn't such a fantastic idea?

You see, the only experience I have with this is a friend who has a TopToy. I looked at one of those, but an Acekard 2 seems to be the superior choice. Now I'm not so sure.

Terribly confused.

Acekard 2i yes, Acekard 2.1 no. Even if you don't have a DSi and will never ever get one, still buy the 2i instead of the 2.1.

adder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The crooks at the focal price now tell me they don't have any in stock and don't know if they will get any and are offering me half the refund I paid.

Why make be pay for postage for tracking if you not got the item in stock!

I'll advice anyone not to use focalprice for anything. As a heads up.

karyuudo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately I just bought one from Kick Gaming myself. I'm emailing them right now to see if anything can be done as far as an exchange is concerned. If I had known about this problem prior to buying I wouldn't have ordered the Ace2Kard and gotten a Ace2Kard2i instead
frown.gif

Checked it HW ID and it's 80 just like the others
frown.gif

TSYA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well - add another vendor to the list of the "bad batch".

Ordered my 2.1 from 0Shipping late Jan. Received it early Feb (shipping was actually quite fast).

HW ID 80 and SAV's causes the system to freeze. Some games complain that the sav is corrupt.

So following your thread's advise and thank you very much to the person that discovered that 4.07 works fine - I downloaded and installed the 4.07 official firmware and its running on the older games.

karyuudo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've found that if you use AIKIO 1.5.1 and AK RPG firmware 4.11 with your Ace2Kard you can play and save games except for Zelda Spirit Tracks.

I'm not sure what the extent of the compatibility is, but I've been able to play a few. It just upsets me that I bought something that doesn't work as it should
frown.gif

Sonia

Resident Bikini Gal
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
karyuudo said:
I've found that if you use AIKIO 1.5.1 and AK RPG firmware 4.11 with your Ace2Kard you can play and save games except for Zelda Spirit Tracks.

I'm not sure what the extent of the compatibility is, but I've been able to play a few. It just upsets me that I bought something that doesn't work as it should
frown.gif

Interesting... I'll test this to see if it works with mine.

karyuudo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonia said:
karyuudo said:

frown.gif

Interesting... I'll test this to see if it works with mine.

Let us know the results of your testing. Hopefully this can be a minor workaround for the time being.

This problem also has been reported on AIKIO's website forum. Apparently the reason for this problem with the ACE2KARD's is that there's 2 different teams working on them now... so somebody, somewhere dropped the ball releasing these faulty cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: