Hacking Question Accidentally bricked my friend's Switch - black screen on OFW & CFW boot after NAND restore

BejittoSSJ5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I had tried to update my friend's Switch to 9.1 via ChoiDuJourNX and I think I corrupted the NAND.

It initially gave me a pkg2 decryption failed / failed to launch HOS! error when trying to boot, so I tried to restore what I think is a 6.2 rawnand backup. Same issue as before.
Then I tried restoring the backup along with mattytrog's clean BOOT0/BOOT1 files for 6.2, and this allowed Atmosphere to boot up to its splash screen but afterwards the console is stuck on a lit black screen on both CFW & OFW. I was also able to backup and decrypt pkg2 from this restored rawnand combined with the clean boot files.

The files I have on hand to restore my friend's console are his prodinfo (atmosphere backup), the rawnand, prod.keys and that is it, sadly. I have a biskeys backup (atmosphere again) but I do not know how to decrypt it.

I am stuck to say the least and trying to repair my mistake is making me want to pull my hair out, so I figured I would come here and ask what to do before I proceed any further as I don't want to mess anything up.

Could anyone help me with this? Thank you much in advance.

EDIT: Obtained my biskeys! Now I can decrypt my NAND backup using HacDiskMount.

Last edited by BejittoSSJ5,

BejittoSSJ5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little late but you should read the post in my signature about downgrading
I see, I see.

Thank you, just read the post. Makes sense, I usually don't do things this rashly or uninformed but I was in a rush when I tried to upgrade his Switch. For the time being I'm letting him use mine, so hopefully I should be able to make some progress with this.

Reactions: Kafluke

BejittoSSJ5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I finally figured out the firmware version of the NAND backup. It's 7.0.0. The clean Boot0/Boot1s in mattytrog's package are 7.0.1 however, which would explain the close-but-not-quite mismatch that causes it to boot into a black screen. Is there any way I can generate another Boot0/Boot1 or obtain a clean 7.0.0 boot?

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I finally figured out the firmware version of the NAND backup. It's 7.0.0. The clean Boot0/Boot1s in mattytrog's package are 7.0.1 however, which would explain the close-but-not-quite mismatch that causes it to boot into a black screen. Is there any way I can generate another Boot0/Boot1 or obtain a clean 7.0.0 boot?
Oh boy,,,

Should of made a backup of rawnand and boot0/1 before you updated..

Anyway, Just get yourself system files for 7.0.1 to match mattys boot0/1 if you like, and then use Choidujour.exe on PC to make your own rawnand image to restore..
https://switch.homebrew.guide/usingcfw/manualchoiupgrade

Or restore nand backup with matching boot0/1

Goodluck.

Reactions: BejittoSSJ5

DragonMax08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica

how did you figure it out? I think i am having the same issue. i went to restore my nand to a backup i had without the knowledge of downgrading etc and i got everything tested and verified okay but when i select reboot to ofw i got black screen. the console not booting it unless i using the rcm loader or tegra. i having been trying to figure out which system version i had when i did the nand back up but no luck as yet. i downgraded to 9.0.1 and run back the nand restore but same prob system not reboot system not rebooting. i am currently trying to downgrade to 8.1.0 to see if thats the original firmware. sigh!!

DragonMax08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
update. i tried 8.1 and still no ofw. can somone tell me if i am doing the right thing. that is keep downgrading until i get the right firmware or i should not be doing this. forgive the ignorance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol