Hacking Absolutely stuck - Old modded Wii needs updating/unhacking for Zelda

McBacon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. Wonder if you could help point me in the right direction.

My Wii is softmodded on 4.2E, and the Homebrew Channel is installed (but nothing else - the SD card I used got corrupted! Yikes!)

I realise I'm a tad behind the curve, and worry that when Zelda appears on Friday (legit, PAL version) it will not run or, worse, brick my Wii.

I'm wondering what's the best course of action? Should I update to the latest custom firmware, and how would I go about that?

Or should I just unhack my Wii (not bothered - only used it for emulation, but can do that elsewhere now). How do I do that?

Yes, very vague and unhelpful, I realise. It also has a Cyclowiz modchip installed (previous owner's), but I don't think that's doing much these days. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks, I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As XFlak said it's a 20minute process but might take longer since this is your 1st time updating. I know how people have the tendancy to look back and double check themself. After you done it a few times it'll only take about 15 mins. The only time you will need a Custom System Menu if you do not want to bother with having to rely on homebrew apps to update your wii; there are draw backs however these can be overcome by already known apps for windows or on the Wii itself.

Custom System Menu Pros:
  • Can do an offical update whether disc or Wifi doesnt matter. Your system menu is what detects and deletes hacks so you will continually be safe when updating
  • keeps friends, family, children, or strangers from bricking your Wii if an update does occur
  • You never have to rely on homebrew to update your IOS again
  • No need to enable any more Priiloader hacsk :) some just dont like it albeit I don't know why....
Custom System Menu Cons:
  • Some cIOS like 249 will STUB when updating. (this can be fixed by changing the version# to 65535 with homebrew like WiiMod3.0 or by ShowMiiWads via PC)
  • Boot2 will update to the latest (this is probably the biggest flaw here but I'm not concerned about it)

If I left anything out let me know; the easiest and simplest way is still ModMii; I myself wont have time to keep updating the IOS of all the Wii's I've soft-mod and this method better suits them.

Naguz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was really surprised they didn't bake in some new updates or AP measures in Skyward Sowrd. I was sure they were gonna do that. When they didn't use that opportunity to push system updates or AP measures, I guess it's safe to say they are too busy with Wii-U to mess up our old HW.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
I havent updated for a long time either but have no problem running anything so far (apart from my wbfs corruption problem lol),
4.2 PAL CIOS10, bootmii, HBC, used modmii about 6 months ago to try get wiiplaymotion working but failed.
would Skyward Sword work for me? in this case would I be better off trying to play from disc or should I give the USB loader a try?

Also if I like this game I will be purchasing it, will I have any problems playing from original disc?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have Priiloader/Bootmii installed, you can tell the Wii to bypass all mandatory disc and online updates, as you will be able to play any new games without forcing you to update to the latest firmware. That's what I did.

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it should be noted that simply blocking update doesn't guarantee all games are playable. The IOS the game requires must also be installed (doesn't need to necesarily be the latest version of that IOS though)
True... And for first-time WM+ users, you'll need to IOS Reload Block on some games.

Naguz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'd just install the latest HBC, then do an official Wii System Menu, then redo the HackMiiInstaller to reinstall bootmii. Then you can install the latest version of your favourite USB loader, an the latest d2x vrsion availible from the d2x installer you run on the Wii (d2xv7b1 or something). I believe that is close to the best (and easiest, as setting for absolutely most games are autodetected) setup to have currently.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As XFlak said it's a 20minute process but might take longer since this is your 1st time updating. I know how people have the tendancy to look back and double check themself. After you done it a few times it'll only take about 15 mins. The only time you will need a Custom System Menu if you do not want to bother with having to rely on homebrew apps to update your wii; there are draw backs however these can be overcome by already known apps for windows or on the Wii itself.

Custom System Menu Pros:
  • Can do an offical update whether disc or Wifi doesnt matter. Your system menu is what detects and deletes hacks so you will continually be safe when updating
  • keeps friends, family, children, or strangers from bricking your Wii if an update does occur
  • You never have to rely on homebrew to update your IOS again
  • No need to enable any more Priiloader hacsk :) some just dont like it albeit I don't know why....
Custom System Menu Cons:
  • Some cIOS like 249 will STUB when updating. (this can be fixed by changing the version# to 65535 with homebrew like WiiMod3.0 or by ShowMiiWads via PC)
  • Boot2 will update to the latest (this is probably the biggest flaw here but I'm not concerned about it)
If I left anything out let me know; the easiest and simplest way is still ModMii; I myself wont have time to keep updating the IOS of all the Wii's I've soft-mod and this method better suits them.
All those pro's kind of go out the window now that ninty's pretty much stopped putting out updates.

Didn't Nintendo mention they are going to release a new Wii w/o gamecube support and wouldn't this require a new update?

Here is the source however I believe it was being discussed on here. Also I would rather not take the chance of someone bricking my Wii cause they feel it needs to be updated LoL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo