PS1/2 About to get a PS2, few questions.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I am planning to get a PS2. Problem is that I don't know which model to get. Some say that Phat is better while others say otherwise. Also I plan to get roughly 15-20 games for this PS2, so what size of memory card should I get?

If you must know, I'm getting this PS2 to primarily play Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Tales series, Metal Gear Solid, Fatal Frame, and few more games.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
So I am planning to get a PS2. Problem is that I don't know which model to get. Some say that Phat is better while others say otherwise. Also I plan to get roughly 15-20 games for this PS2, so what size of memory card should I get?

If you must know, I'm getting this PS2 to primarily play Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Tales series, Metal Gear Solid, Fatal Frame, and few more games.

Okay.

First of all, do you plan to SOFTMOD your PS2 to play backups, or are you going to BUY all of your games?/chip it?

If you're going to SOFTMOD it, get any model EXCEPT for the SPCH-9000x (superslim) models. Most SPCH-9000x models made since the third quarter of 2008 do not allow the booting of the PS2's most used homebrew/booting menu. With one of these you need a swap disc or modchip JUST to boot games and emus/homebrews. However if you're going to chip it anyway it's not a problem.

If you plan to BUY all of those games (or just chip your PS2), GET a SPCH-9000x new. Since they're new, their laser will last longer than used older models, and you'll be able to enjoy your games more.

ALSO, you should really never get any MCs besides SONY and NYKO 8MBs. Pretty much any other card (or size) will crash on you sooner or later and your saves will be lost or garbled and stuck on the card.

trumpet-205

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm leaning towards SCPH-9000x (for brand new) and a modchip. Though I'm not sure if I can find a modchip that supports SCPH-9000x.

Does Duo 3 Ultra works with SCPH-9000x?

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about the duo 3 ultra (on their site they list it as "maybe") but Modbo 4.0 and any newer modbo, and Matrix infinity 1.93 and any newer MI work.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Duo3 and Modbo 4 (1.93 & 1.99) works... many of them still work. The only ones I installed on 9000x so far are with these two chips so I cannot say about other ones.

trumpet-205

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do these modchips offer 100% compatibility? With their official websites down are there any support left?

Also what memory size should I be getting? How much saves can a 8MB card hold (just roughly)?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
Do these modchips offer 100% compatibility? With their official websites down are there any support left?

Also what memory size should I be getting? How much saves can a 8MB card hold (just roughly)?

There aren't going to be any support. Support on most, if not all PS2 chips died out already. Modbo is a clone of a Matrix Infinity and runs on the Matrix Infinity firmware. Matrix Infinity chip is no longer updated and the modbo aren't update-able anyway. There are decent chips for their price.
http://swei.cc/chip/modbo/Modbo4.0%28New%2...H-071-42%29.jpg

As with memory card size, it depends on the game that you are playing. I never had problems with unofficial cards and corruptions as long as they were used correctly and with memory that isn't hacked. Some sports game take 1MB of save data. But most are smaller. Unofficial 16MB memory cards are quite cheap and have better compatible with some games compared to sizes bigger than 16MB.

UnitGGChamp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 90001 version is the best bet.. I owned the fat and 3 old slim models..The 9000 series is the only ps2 I had where I play 4-5 hours straight and no overheating or hot disc(warm) The last model used better technology thus lacking the vents created on the fat and slim..

mad567

D. Gregar
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Greece
Well a friend gave me a fat ps2 he bought a PS3........
I use it only for dvd and to play san andreas since i Have only 2 games
tongue.gif

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
Hmm...... Dead support for modchips. Dunno. Gotta look into Swap Disc now.

As for memory card, Sony only sells 8MB card right?

I seen 3rd party 16MB with Sony logos on it and stuff, but not sure if there is a official one. Swap Disc support has been dead too. Swap Magic Coder was released about 4 years ago and there is no new update. There isn't really anything to fix though, since both swap disc and modchips are working quite good already. But modchips could be fixing up their bugs and swap magic could be updating their cheat codes.

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
Dealextreme now has modbo modchip clone at 4$ this is the best compatibility youll get and this price cant go wrong.

As for memory cards kingdom hearts 2 among many others will not take anything else that 8 mb unless you put the save on the card. I have both a 64mb and 8mb its easier that way use 64mb and swap if there a problem. does not have to be 1st party just 8 mb.

But you can also do the freemcboot softmod the best would be buying a fat a network adapter and change the HDD and load off that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30