about ios's...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by externalist, Apr 2, 2010.

Apr 2, 2010

about ios's... by externalist at 6:15 PM (902 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. externalist
    OP

Newcomer externalist Member

Korea, South
    Can anyone point me to a link or post on a list of which ios is responsible for which functionality? I'm trying to understand more about ios's but having a hard time finding info... Also, I've always been wondering if there was some kind of process or ios running on the wii during the whole time the wii is on. From what I've read so far, when you run a game, or hb channel or any other big function on wii, then the running ios stops and a new ios loads for the new game/function so no one process/ios can be running the whole time. Is that right?
    Thanks.

2. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    You know the Wii has 2 processors right? The main PPC cpu and an ARM9. The ARM9 controls all the I/O, and that's where the IOS's run, a bit like a glorrified set of drivers, while the game code runs on the PPC. So IOSs and game code run at the same time.

This should give a better explanation http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS. You might want to bookmark that site.

3. fairlyevenparents

Member fairlyevenparents GBAtemp Fan

United States
    how many IOSs are there?
    we can install CIOSs in slots over IOS 200 right?

4. gameking66

Member gameking66 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You can install a cIOS anywhere. A cIOS is simply an existing IOS modified and placed into a different slot (or the same one).

5. externalist
    OP

Newcomer externalist Member

Korea, South
    So from my understanding of what I read on wiibrew, only one IOS can run on the ARM core and since different games and system menus use different IOS's and no single IOS can run completely in the background throughout the whole time wii is power on right? And is it the IOS that's responsible for whatever is going to be run on the PPC cpu? like does the IOS 'initiate' the process/program to be run on the PPC? And overall, it is impossible to have any code that is constantly running in the background throughout the whole term wii is on power on state right? Thanks.

6. Bumpman

Member Bumpman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No. From what I know, sneek runs on the ARM9 core alongside the IOS and stays there even if the currently running IOS is changed to another IOS