About FOOD

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I was watching cooking videos and saw an American making Tacos.
This thread is not a rant but rather a curiosity.

I'd like to ask you: What kind of food you'd like to try and which you'd definitely say NO?

As you can see in my avatar the Mexico flag below means that I'm Mexican.
And I've tried food that it could be considered taboo in other cultures.
For example:
Liver, Eyes, Tongue, Skin, Blood, Cartilage, Foot, Brains, Intestines, Insects such as Grasshopper, Stinkbugs and Worms.
These are ingredients easily found in street tacos and I've tried them all.
Mind you, when I refer to organs I'm talking about Cow, Pig, Chicken and Ram (what kept the animals alive should in theory maintain me alive... huh?), and obviously Fish (just the meat for the latter, if you've de-gutted fish you know how much of a hassle it is) and last but not least, Rabbit

I admit I'd like to try Rat, Snake and Gator meat.

I would probably never try Turtle because I happen to own 2 as pets, and definitely not trying Dog or Cat (neither Bat *giggles*)

So, what are your thoughts? What's the weirdest/tabooest food you've ever had?
What's something you'd like to try?

Last edited by JuanMena,

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright then :creep:, do you want your bat soup with or without salt ?
Dude if your dieing of hunger and I mean actually going to die if you don't eat something, you would eat anything.

Also at my local reptile store I've seen and heard some Asian people their buying live rats for eating. I guess those would be safe to eat compared to catching wild one cause those are raised in safe/sterilized environments.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Alright then :creep:, do you want your bat soup with or without salt ?
I clearly said NO BAT.

And Field Rat meat is literally cleaner that processed meat for Rats on their natural habitat consumes what they're supposed to consume naturally.

That's why Rat sounds appealing to me :ha:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There’s a butcher near me that sells “exotic” meat. I’d never dare eat any, but they sell Kangaroo, Emu, and Bear meat...
Wow.
That sure sounds exotic.
I've heard we have a market that sells all kinds of meat, but it's quite far from the place I live... So I won't be eating Snake, Gator or Rat anytime soon

Last edited by JuanMena,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I
For example:
Liver, Eyes, Tongue, Skin, Blood, Cartilage, Foot, Brains, Intestines, Insects such as Grasshopper, Stinkbugs and Worms.

For the "innards",yes I am on your Side.:D

- Liver from Pig/Calf/Chicken - breaded and prepared like the "Wiener Schnitzel" or sauted with Onions,Bacon and Apple or Pineapples.
- Liver from the Beef - for Leberknödel -> Liver Dumplings

Something Special is the Beuschel.

You cook Lungs, liver, heart, spleen and kidneys from the Calf
It is like a Gulasch but not Red.:D

For the Preparation,the Lungs and the other Offal are cooked in a sour Mixture of Water,Vinegar,Sugar,Salt,Peppercorns,
Bay Leaf and Onions.
Then you sieve out the Condiments and cut the Meat in fine Slices/Strips.
The Brew is bound with a brown Stoving.
You can use some whipped cream or crème fraîche to refine it.
Aside Dish:
Serviettenknödel

Mahlzeit.:D

antiNT

:)
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Dude if your dieing of hunger and I mean actually going to die if you don't eat something, you would eat anything.

Also at my local reptile store I've seen and heard some Asian people their buying live rats for eating. I guess those would be safe to eat compared to catching wild one cause those are raised in safe/sterilized environments.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
I would probably eat a human if i was about to die of hunger haha

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We have done this one a few times before, including somewhat recently.
Still

Is liver a taboo in another culture?

I will give that I don't meet too many younger types that go in for it as is, or maybe had a bad experience (I can choke down a badly done steak or dry rubber chicken, badly done liver... no thanks).
Personally I love lamb liver (fry up some onions and garlic, chuck it in, make up some gravy and after the liver is almost cooked shove in the gravy to finish it up), and pate (which is often all about that liver) is plenty popular too.
Beef liver I can eat but lamb is my first love there, chicken is mostly good for stock and demi-glace type deals where it is something of a serious flavour enhancer.

Kangaroo and emu. Fairly standard. Kangaroo is actually quite nice.
Never had bear myself, my dad has though. Says it is lovely, though you do want to know it is properly prepared as that is not squirts for a weekend as much as a year or so of hell.

Eyes
Fish or animal? Can still get them I guess. Not much taste really so mostly just a party trick/dare.

Tongue
Cow/ox tongue is available in the supermarket. Tastes OK I guess.

Skin
Chicken/poultry and fish is fairly standard. I don't much like chicken skin though.

Blood
If pure culture then I guess Islam would have something here. Personally some say they could never be one because booze or bacon. I say I could never be one because I do like me some black pudding.

Cartilage
There is some debate as to whether people going purely for muscle meat and ignoring the connective tissue means they are missing out on some of the minerals. Anyway I can and do make my own stock.

Foot
Pig trotter jelly in a pork pie... what is not to love? I don't know that I have ever had chicken feet but it is more opportunity than lack of desire.

Brains
Mad cow mostly put an end to that one but had it prior to that.

Intestines
I can be boring and use other sausage casing. Unless you mean offal in general and yeah fairly standard ingredient in pies.

Probably should add kidneys to this. Steak and kidney is a popular pie type probably available in most fish and chip shops, and kidneys available in just about every vaguely well stocked supermarket.

As far as owning as pets so wouldn't.
I have ridden horses. Horse as a concept is fine.
Turtles are apparently delicious and can also make other things delicious.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They are indeed vile and disgusting things, things I avoid wherever I can, have no desire to consume and the rare occasions I let one slip in (their powder is put on so much, to the point where I have to read ingredients on just about everything*) I find myself sitting upon the throne regretting my lack of diligence.

*really I have found it in stock cubes, seasoning, crisps, cheese, most sauces out there, so much premade food and the list goes on. Also makes it more of a only go to restaurants when I actually like the person type job as I know I will suffer later, though as long as we avoid Italian food (which is a pity as I love Italian food when it does not have tomato sauce involved) and go for the Bengali rather than Pakistani takes on Indian food I can usually get by.

Video I have done before but proof that robots are our friends

Video I watched while trying to stop myself from retching

I have however after much experimentation figured out a nice substitute that allows me to enjoy lasagna.
Find a jar of roasted peppers. Lidl in the UK do a nice one but they are available everywhere, in the US I tended to only find them in Greek and Mediterranean type stores. Have not tried making them myself as they are so readily available here.
Drain them (they are usually in a nice vinegar so if doing meat I will save it for that)
Slice them up
Slice up some onion (about 5:1 ratio).
Gently fry the onions (I like olive oil here but most things will do) to make them translucent and soft.
Chuck in peppers, maybe some garlic, herbs and salt if you want (that might come in other parts of the dish -- for lasagna then the meat likely has all that).
Get everything piping hot (the peppers are already cooked).
Chuck into a blender and blend until you have what you want. Can return to the heat if you want.

I would then put some of the sauce in with the mince and reserve the rest but you do you.
Also works well for wraps in the oven that would otherwise be using tomato sauce, pizza sauce substitute (haven't made a yeast base but scone and poor man's pizza with wraps work very well).

Can be a bit expensive using jarred peppers rather than tomato sauces that they normally give away for next to nothing (presumably why such sauces became popular in the first place) but if, like me, you only discovered your body's dislike of tomatoes (I have never liked the taste of the fruit for as long as I can remember) after tastes had been established then it allows something.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, eyes, eh? Never really thought about ingesting that from any animal. Hmm...

I don't know, for me, perhaps the most uncommon, at least here in the States, would likely be tongue, but it's been a long, long time. My mother used to cook it maybe once or twice a year. We all loved it as kids. It kinda tasted like deli meat you'd put on a sandwich.

Reactions: Alexander1970

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Amongst all the animal parts I've eaten, I'm still neglecting the Jawl.

Many, many years ago I ate Jawl (pork) on a Taco booth in a place called Central de Abastos, and the taste was far from pleasant even with all the toppings, lime, salsa and veggies I added.

Then, 3/4 years ago, my mom made us Pozole with Jawl, Cheeck, Loin, Ribs, all pork, which is the traditional recipe. Most people prefers Loun and Ribs... but the bony parts of the pork is what gives any broth it's flavor.

I got my plate served with a piece of the Jawl, a little bit of the nosetril + cheeck... unaware of what was going to happen next, I took a big bite of the meat... and it tasted EXACTLY as the smell of an armpit.
I gently refused the meat and asked mom why it tasted like that, mom said with a poker face:

That's why I never add Jawl to this, I did it because your father wanted to

I then remembered the sweat flavor I tasted way back in Central de Abastos. :unsure:
And it's kind of funny because other parts mike the guts, tongue, eye and brain does not has a strong flavour.

I think Fast is kind of being a masochist with those videos except with the gorish one (they gets stabbed)
But something strange is that I can't eat anything hot that happens to has tomatoes on it such as soup, or broth involving tomato juice on it's preparation.
But raw, sliced diced, pizza tomato pure I can take it anyday. Heck sliced Tomato and Onion, cooked Potatos, sliced Cucumber, shredded Lettuce and Line Juice is a nice complement for any meat.
What it's internationally know as Cactus, known in my country as Nopales is something very common to eat too.

And I'm sure Fast and Amanda would love to know that they're nightmares about tomatoes are going to get even weirder with this Cactus + Onion + Tomatoes + Cilantro + Fresh cheese salad:
images

It's super weird knowing that Tomatoes are hated around the world. I grew up eating raw tomatoes so that's an acquired taste rather than personal preference.

Last edited by JuanMena,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol