Gaming About Dragon Quest.

Zonix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm playing Dragon Quest: Jokers right now(well I don't really play it so much), and my question is should I stop playing it and get Dragon Quest IV instead?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you find that a normal RPG is more fun than a slow grinding repetitive monster collecting game then yes. Joker is about doing the pokemon style with the leveling up of separate monsters and in this unlike pokemon you fuse. IN DQ4 it's a normal RPG broken into separate chapters with each of the heroes who will eventually form up a full party for the last parts of the game. DQ unlike Joker is backed with a rich and fun story that's got some depth, Joker really has little to no story as the monster raising is the point.

Whatever works for you, personally I ditched Joker as it was a snore.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Joker was epic fail compared to the original Dragon Warrior Monsters for the Gameboy, even DWM2 was bad because it took one awesome game and split it into two games that required breeding between two people to get a certain monster since only specific ones were in each game much like Pokemon. Joker is ok but severely lacked the monster content that the original has. Dragon Quest 4 is fun but it's a totally different kind of game. All I know is that the final boss in DWM games are some of the hardest freaking bosses to beat in any handheld RPG I have ever played, although Joke was insanely easy so long as you have a decent party of good worthwhile monsters.

If you like the monster collecting games, go and play the first one, you will enjoy it more then Joker because the grinding doesn't suck as much and there are far more monster choices (even more in DWM2 though, like 300 I think). The challenge is obtaining the boss monsters and getting some can take you hours of breeding time to do but they are worth it if you want to fight other people, Joker blows cause even in online mode the battles suck cause most of the teams are hacked. I had to hack just to get into the top 50.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had DWM years ago and that original game was well handled and I can't remember how many dozens of hours went onto it in bed at nights for most of it. The sequel I tried in ROM format and it sucked, but even as a split it was better than Joker which was just badly mishandled and I think honestly was trying to live off that beautiful shaded graphics setup more than anything.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joker wasn't that bad really just had some things that bugged alot of people......

1.Running speed of the hero (This one annoys me the most)
2.Grinding of levels,but it's not to bad once you can fight metals slimes and such
3.Dark Crystals were way to damn easy to find
4.Lack of a REAL story
5.More monsters?

I'm sure you can add to the list but it was an overall decent game.....

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
WileCoyote said:
Joker wasn't that bad really just had some things that bugged alot of people......

1.Running speed of the hero (This one annoys me the most)
2.Grinding of levels,but it's not to bad once you can fight metals slimes and such
3.Dark Crystals were way to damn easy to find
4.Lack of a REAL story
5.More monsters?

I'm sure you can add to the list but it was an overall decent game.....
If you think about it, point 1 and 2 are moot because you can simply use cheats. :\ Faster running speed + 2x EXP (or 4x if it's that slow...) and you're set.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coyote 1/2 that list of yours is why I quit on it about 15hours or less into it. I remember getting to a few islands, seeing the beach with the pit, the castle one and so on. The problem was that you had to capture so many things, grind the hell out of them excessively(even for Dragon Quest standards) and then meld them into stronger but weak lv1s if I remember so you had to re-grind to meld some more. Combine that with it having ZERO story outside the opening and it honestly felt pointless to bother which is why I stopped.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
Coyote 1/2 that list of yours is why I quit on it about 15hours or less into it. I remember getting to a few islands, seeing the beach with the pit, the castle one and so on. The problem was that you had to capture so many things, grind the hell out of them excessively(even for Dragon Quest standards) and then meld them into stronger but weak lv1s if I remember so you had to re-grind to meld some more. Combine that with it having ZERO story outside the opening and it honestly felt pointless to bother which is why I stopped.

Na only the first one was me,but I do see your point about the story but level wise those are easy to get back...i'd love a sequel or a new "Monsters" game cause I enjoy the games with monsters more then I do with people in my party,of course I have enjoyed DQ IV even tho you can't have monsters in your party like the monster titles.....

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WileCoyote said:
Vampire Hunter D said:

Na only the first one was me,but I do see your point about the story but level wise those are easy to get back...i'd love a sequel or a new "Monsters" game cause I enjoy the games with monsters more then I do with people in my party,of course I have enjoyed DQ IV even tho you can't have monsters in your party like the monster titles.....
You can get monsters in your party occasionally. But it's usually story related.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol