about boot9strap and sighax

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by mike a, May 22, 2017.

1. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    alright, some time ago I hacked my 3ds, and put luma cfw, arm9lh and godmode9 on it. I then obviously put fbi, and and decrypt9wip on it.

so basically through this, I can convert .3ds files into cias, go into the freeshop and CIAngel.

but I see a lot of you are "upgrading", your arm9lh into bootstrap9 and using sighax. I just want to know what is the point? if I have already hacked my 3ds, and I can do all of this already,, why then would I risk any chance of bricking my 3ds to hack an already hacked 3ds??? I don't understand that at all. the only thing I can see is that I would have to do that in order to update luma..

so what are the pros and cons to putting that on my 3ds?

2. iAqua

iAqua GBAtemp Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Right now there's really no need to upgrade, once something that you want requires sighax, go ahead.

sleepymanakete likes this.
  3. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N I have graced this thread with my presence.

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Sixth Circle of Hell
    Also, I'm going to add how some apps like GodMode9 take advantage of entrypoints exclusive to B9S. In addition, Luma has dropped support for A9LH, so if you want to future-proof your system, you should probably install B9S.

4. erman1337

erman1337 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2015
    Belgium
    Brussels
    Luma dropping support for A9LH is mostly the only reason everyone is switching

5. thund3rstruck

thund3rstruck Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2005
    United States
    [QUOTE="mike a, post: 7327735, member: 355524"
    so what are the pros and cons to putting that on my 3ds?[/QUOTE]

I hate the idea of upgrading something that's already working but I hate the idea of running lumaupdator and having my consoles boot to a black screen even worse. Obviously it's easy to restore A9LH but I might have a stroke in the meantime. I went ahead and upgraded while I had time to do so.

6. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    are the instructions to upgrade on 3dsguide.com? what are the chances of bricking?? can I do it w/ just my smartphone??

7. thealgorithm

thealgorithm GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    If you follow the guide carefully, chance of bricking via 3ds.guide is very low. The safeupdater is very stable and all bricks are user error

8. sleepymanakete

sleepymanakete GBAtemp Regular

Mar 10, 2016
    United States
    all i can think of is faster boot time and future updates on Luma
    https://3ds.guide/updating-to-boot9strap

i think bricking is really rare.

9. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    First of all Sighax has a 0% brick rate when using the guide to upgrade.No downgrading or extracting otp's are required.Second,it's a step ahead of a9lh since it can take advantage of arm11 aswell as arm9 since it boots way before the kernel.This also means we can run custom os's and fork over all the previous arm9 exploits and convert them so they work with .firm (we currently have a fork of ctrbootmanager which can run some of the old bin files from a9lh).And finally the main reason you should switch,luma updates will no longer support a9lh so all the new features that come will be exclusive to sighax.As for cfw veriety Reinand,cakes and corbenik don't support sighax yet but will probably go over soon.

Last edited by Ominous66521, May 23, 2017
  10. mario-lucis-caelum

mario-lucis-caelum GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2016
    You can do it with your smartphone. That's how I upgraded on mine via an FTP Android app. Make sure you remove your 3DS' back plate (if you have a N3DS XL) before starting as you need to eject the SD card at some point in the guide.

I didn't on mine and I almost shat myself when I accidently turned off the 3DS while I was in the middle of removing the cover plates while in godmode9 and the sd card ejected. Fortunately, I didn't brick lol

11. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    Well ill have to do it later, but I don't know what ctrbootmanager,cakes, reinand and corbenik are so whatever lol. I am also still on 11.3,

Also in that guide page it doesn't say how or what to do with sighax, I'm assuming its on the main guide then. And it says to delete the whole boot9strap folder, but at the bottom it says you can dump the otp, and arm9-11 bootroms to it. Do you have to do that

Last edited by mike a, May 23, 2017
  12. Naked_Snake

Naked_Snake Constant Miscreant

Oct 6, 2013
    Hyrule Field
    Where does the bootrom and opt get dumped with start+select+X pressed at boot

13. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    boot9strap folder on the SD card root.

14. Naked_Snake

Oct 6, 2013
    Hyrule Field
    Cheers pal, what is the bootrom file called?

15. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they're called boot9 and boot11.

BL4Z3D247 and Naked_Snake like this.
  16. Aletron9000

Aletron9000 3DS Master

May 10, 2016
    United States
    3DS ARM9 CPU
    boot11.bin for arm11 bootrom
    boot9.bin for arm9 bootrom

Naked_Snake likes this.
  17. Naked_Snake

Oct 6, 2013
    Hyrule Field
    Thanks guys

18. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

Oct 22, 2008
    United States
    I'm so high, I don't even know!
    CTRBootManager is a boot manager. Cakes, Reinand and Corbenik are old CFWs. If you're on 11.3 with A9LH then it's really easy to upgrade to B9S, if not it's still pretty easy.

The guide for both upgrading and installing B9S tell you where to put the files and what to do to install it. You can delete the boot9strap folder but like it's been stated that's where boot9, boot11 and OTP are dumped to. I don't think you need to dump them other than if you want to back them up or use them PC side for decrypting games, etc.

Also SigHax Installer (beta) v0.2 is not recommended as it has just about a 50% chance of bricking while B9S has a 1%(and that's only if you don't follow the guide right).

Last edited by BL4Z3D247, May 23, 2017
  19. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    The only way you are going to brick using SafeB9SInstaller to upgrade from A9LH is if lightning literally strikes your 3DS in the middle of the process.

While it is theoretically possible to brick, saying that it is "risking a brick" is disingenuous. It's safe.

20. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Once again, this could have been done with A9LH, and there have been proof of concepts.

Example: Linux for the 3DS

BL4Z3D247 likes this.