About arm9 process

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by FakuMotaFaka, Apr 23, 2016.

1. FakuMotaFaka
    OP

FakuMotaFaka GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    Hey guys over at github I read a couple post about installing arm9. I have a question.
    When installing arm9 it says format emunand 2 times, that way it'll unlink the 2 nands. I was wondering can I just format the sysnand 1 time only and leave the emunand as is and go on about downgrading the emunand to 2.1 and proceed to do arm9?
    I know I read a post saying format the sysnand1 time and then format the emunand 2 times. And a post saying just the emunand 2 times only. Can I just format the sysnand 1 time without having to format the emunand at all?

2. VIERcntHOLZ

VIERcntHOLZ yep, theres missing an "u".

Mar 26, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Just do, what the guide says.

I guess it says for a reason:

Repeat steps 29 through 34, this is not optional (in other words, you must TinyFormat your RedNAND twice - if you do not, your device may brick when you downgrade)

in freaking bold characters...

Quantumcat likes this.
  3. yardie

yardie GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    It says 2 times.
    Follow the guide completely

Or you can be lazy and brick your 3ds

4. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    If you follow the guide, your emunand and sysnand data is restored later so it doesnt matter :)
    The guide is a bit misleading, saying to format your emunand, people think this means they will lose data.

5. FakuMotaFaka
    OP

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    Lol.. That's what I've been doing on like 8 systems.. Just wanting to confir
    just doing all the formatting is time consuming

6. VIERcntHOLZ

VIERcntHOLZ yep, theres missing an "u".

Mar 26, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Lets better save time and crush an 150bucks device

Quantumcat likes this.
  7. FakuMotaFaka
    OP

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    Well no arguments here than. Just best do step by steps

8. kheldar

kheldar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 4, 2014
    I have a question guys I didn't want to make another thread for it so I'm posting here. Is it normal that my nands became linked after formatting my emunand for the second time(step 34)? I had to install menuhax again through the browser because I changed emunands theme.

9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Do as the guide says, it was made to help and make the process as safe and easy as possible. Yes, it's a very time consuming process, but it's the only way to be completely safe.

They shouldn't be linked, but you may have accidentally changed the sysNAND theme at some point well working on it.

10. kheldar

Jul 4, 2014
    So what should i do now? they are apparently linked. Could it be that I had to build the database because I couldn't install tinyformat.cia for the second format? I'm at step 6 of Section II Downgrading.

11. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Are you able to still boot into emuNAND? If you are able to still boot into your emunand, try redoing the old putting the "import.db" and "title.db" in the "dbs" folder and system setting thing again. I don't know if there's a name for this process, but it should allow FBI to start working again.

12. kheldar

Jul 4, 2014
    Yes I'm still able to launch into emunand. I'm just afraid to continue on installing the hack because there's nothing about the linked nands in the guide. FBI works fine, everything works fine. I'm just being cautious. Would linked nands cause a problem?

13. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I don't think it will, but if someone more knowledgeable could chime in, that would be awesome~!
    I seriously hate to suggest making a thread though, but this may need one to get the proper answers that it needs.

kheldar likes this.
  14. FakuMotaFaka
    OP

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    If they are linked from what I read is it will brick. The only way to know they are not linked is changing the themes in emunand and if it doesn't change as well in sysnand than it's unlinked.
    That's the question I'm trying to be cleared about.
    Once u format the sysnand than it's unlinked. Once u format the emunand 2 times than it's unlinked. I guess if u format the emunand 3 times it will still be unllinked.
    U can just go to settings and format from there instead of using tiny formatter.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Don't worry about losing theme hacks when u formatted your emunand 2 times. It happens to me sometimes.

15. FakuMotaFaka
    OP

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    So come to think of it the requirement to format the emunand twice is like giving it a clean downgrade. I unno.