Hacking A9LH installation - Failed to mount CTRNAND

ReadingRainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah u could use that.. i used decrypt9 instead of hourglass9 and i chose the "keep a9lh" option when restoring.. worse case that could happen is you downgrading again to 2.1 from 9.2 and you could do the steps again..
Alright I will try that thanks! It doesn't have a .sha file associated with it though, is that necessary?

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yeah u could use that.. i used decrypt9 instead of hourglass9 and i chose the "keep a9lh" option when restoring.. worse case that could happen is you downgrading again to 2.1 from 9.2 and you could do the steps again..
Alright I will try that thanks! It doesn't have a .sha file associated with it though, is that necessary?

hmmm im not 100 percent sure about it not having the .sha file if it works so pls dont held me accountable.. i got enough experience but im no expert..but if you followed the guide earlier and that's the only nand backup you got from following the guide then it should work..fingers crossed..

jupitersj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if it'll allow you to continue without the .sha either, but I don't see why not; it's just a checksum hash used to verify the integrity of the nand backup so you don't flash a bad nand.

Reactions: owek1

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
always backup your nand. Should have a 9.2 copy and if you use emunand have an updated copy of that.
upload it to drop box for safe keeping.

And i got that error once when i did my wifes n3ds, but that was booting without the sd card. once i put the sd card in and boot it up a few times i didnt get that error again with the card removed.

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
always backup your nand. Should have a 9.2 copy and if you use emunand have an updated copy of that.
upload it to drop box for safe keeping.

And i got that error once when i did my wifes n3ds, but that was booting without the sd card. once i put the sd card in and boot it up a few times i didnt get that error again with the card removed.

i agree.. i havent tried uploading my backup on the cloud but might try it in the future.. i always have a backup on the SD card itself, on my computer and an external HDD.. of course label the folders properly to prevent copying the wrong files..

Pathian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, it's the same issue, restore your 9.2 NAND back-up via hourglass and you should be good to go.

I may be missing something simple, but I'm having the same problem as the previous poster, and I can't seem to figure out how to get to Hourglass to do the restore?

Rebooting + Select lets me get into the Luma config, and it's saving it's settings between powerdowns and giving me the "Failed to mount CTRNAND." after each save.
Rebooting + Start takes me straight to "Failed to mount CTRNAND."
Rebooting normally takes me straight to "Failed to mount CTRNAND."

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I may be missing something simple, but I'm having the same problem as the previous poster, and I can't seem to figure out how to get to Hourglass to do the restore?

Rebooting + Select lets me get into the Luma config, and it's saving it's settings between powerdowns and giving me the "Failed to mount CTRNAND." after each save.
Make sure you have the Hourglass9 bin file in luma/payloads renamed to start_hourglass9.bin

Reactions: jupitersj

D1aruga

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Hello I followed the tutorial from 3ds.guide but at the end when powering my New 3ds XL I get the Failed to mount CTRNAND.
Just like Pathia:
Rebooting + Select lets me get into the Luma config, and clicking START saves it's settings between and give me the "Failed to mount CTRNAND." after each save.

I can only access to luma3ds v6.6 configuration screen (with SELECT) can't access start_hourglass9.bin in the playloads. I don't know what to do anymore... even powering without the sd get me to black screen. I need help guys!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hello I followed the tutorial from 3ds.guide but at the end when powering my New 3ds XL I get the Failed to mount CTRNAND.
Just like Pathia:
Rebooting + Select lets me get into the Luma config, and clicking START saves it's settings between and give me the "Failed to mount CTRNAND." after each save.

I can only access to luma3ds v6.6 configuration screen (with SELECT) can't access start_hourglass9.bin in the playloads. I don't know what to do anymore... even powering without the sd get me to black screen. I need help guys!
Did you look at the guide?

• If you get a “Failed to mount CTRNAND” error, just continue to the next section

Either restore your backup or do a 9.2 CTR transfer.

EDIT: I missed this bit:

can't access start_hourglass9.bin
Redownload Hourglass9, there may be something wrong with your file. Also try naming it another button for example up_hourglass9.bin in case your Start button is faulty. Also make sure you are holding the button BEFORE pressing power (and holding it all the way through startup).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

D1aruga

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Did you look at the guide?

Either restore your backup or do a 9.2 CTR transfer.

EDIT: I missed this bit:

Redownload Hourglass9, there may be something wrong with your file. Also try naming it another button for example up_hourglass9.bin in case your Start button is faulty. Also make sure you are holding the button BEFORE pressing power (and holding it all the way through startup).

I tried that too putting up_hourglass9.bin or even x_decrypt9.bin
Nothing works looks like luma don't find the directory in the sd card.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I tried that too putting up_hourglass9.bin or even x_decrypt9.bin
Nothing works looks like luma don't find the directory in the sd card.
Double check you have the correct files and that they are in root/luma/payloads (where "root" is the root of your SD card).
And try putting the Hourglass9 bin file in the root and naming it arm9loaderhax.bin. If your SD card can find Luma's arm9loaderhax.bin it should be able to find it if it's the Hourglass9 bin file. If that doesn't work I'm sure you must have downloaded a wrong file.

D1aruga

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
No solution I don't know if using a Mac have corrupted my SD card or the files when changing the filenames... will retry it at home.

itznayf

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have the same issue. "Failed to mount CTRNAND." Iam only able start Hourglass9 and the luma3ds configuration.
Tryed to restore my SysNAND (NANDmin.bin) in this case i get the messages "not a proper NAND backup for this 3DS" and "SysNAND Restore (keep a91h): failed!". Help, pls! (New 3ds XL)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I have the same issue. "Failed to mount CTRNAND." Iam only able start Hourglass9 and the luma3ds configuration.
Tryed to restore my SysNAND (NANDmin.bin) in this case i get the messages "not a proper NAND backup for this 3DS" and "SysNAND Restore (keep a91h): failed!". Help, pls! (New 3ds XL)
Do a 9.2 CTR transfer instead.

Xerkies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm going over the guide to installing A9LH on my n3DS XL that I got today, and I guess it's installed now with where I'm at in the guide, but I'm at the end of Section III (https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax), and I get this error after changing settings in Luma3DS and hitting START to save them....

An error has occured:
Failed to mount CTRNAND.
Press any button to shutdown

There is nothing regarding this in the guide, so should I continue anyways? Section IV is about where I would restore my 9.2.0 NAND, and I'm just assuming that being on 2.1.0 at this point is what's causing the issue.
In the guide it say's if you get the error you can just continue to the next section. So all you had to do is just continue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1