A Nintendo Switch flashcart is being teased, and it could support all models

Screenshot_20231223-123346_Brave.jpg

Throughout the Nintendo Switch's life, we've seen modchips and softmods aplenty. What has been missing in the Switch hacking scene, though, is a flashcart; and if rumors are to be believed, one might be coming soon. A user by the name of After Time X shared on Twitter that they have exclusive information regarding testing of a flashcart that will work on all models and revisions of the Nintendo Switch. A video of "proof" was shown, of someone cycling through rom backups, and loading the games to play on their Switch OLED unit. According to the rumor, these flashcarts will begin shipping as early as next month.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Discussion thread

Last edited by Flame,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
For everyone planning on using one certificate across all of their backups, Nintendo has already solved this dilemma SIX years ago in case everybody forgot how online authentication works. Here's the write-up on Reddit by Mr. SciresM himself in case you don't remember or believe me.

tl;dr The online authentication uses game-specific data that when Nintendo doesn't match the certificate can easily swing the ban hammer. Oh and by the way, it has already happened to users when people did this on SX OS so good luck going online with this flashcard.

Potential use cases:

• Consolidation of game libraries to one device
    • More games = More inconvenience via slot-reinsert style of selecting games
  • Offline play of widely distributed games for non-cfw enabled switches.
  • Online play of privately owned backups
  • Down the road HB and entry-point exploitation. (unknown)
It still remains a curiosity to me how Nintendo will go about in banning legitimate physical copies. It seems to be the only mitigation method that Nintendo could choose, but by doing so they would render the market of used games as unreliable (crippling the value of their hardware). I'm hesitant to say that they will risk disabling their own unmodified and licensed hardware. I think what might happen is that they will ban the user accounts and potentially the switch consoles of those who demonstrate a trend of using known widely distributed cart images.

For example:

Nintendo builds a database of known cloned games via telemetry data that shows when one cert/uid is being used in 2 or more places simultaneously.

Johnny goes online with a compromised cert/uid. Nintendo notices, but doesn't do anything. It's possible that Johnny is innocent and bought a used game that was used as a source for a shared backup.

Nintendo sees Johnny go online with another compromised cert/uid. Nintendo still doesn't do anything. Maybe Johnny is really unlucky.

Nintendo sees Johnny go online with a third compromised cert/uid. Nintendo is now convinced that Johnny is either downloading games, making backups and distributing them, or is buying them from a place where a "potential criminal" is selling them. They can ban Johnny.

If Johnny is innocent, he can contact Nintendo. Nintendo can initiate a legal investigation. An arrest can get media traction and deter people from the practice.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
never will happen.
Not with that attitude. :rofl2:

If HB can be made in an XCI format?

While the potential for entry-point exploitation is particularly bleak, the security layer that mig is crossing gives a platform for many people to spend a lot of time testing and trying.

• Haha
Reactions: impeeza

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not with that attitude. :rofl2:

If HB can be made in an XCI format?

While the potential for entry-point exploitation is particularly bleak, the security layer that mig is crossing gives a platform for many people to spend a lot of time testing and trying.
It won’t be signed it won’t work

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Lotus3 is there for avoid that!
Obviously it wouldn't be you two who would find an exploit--and I don't plan on being the one to try either, but I would put money on some development towards that direction.

Barriers are opportunities for exploitation. I'll bookmark this section for now and revisit if mig actually finds its way to the general public. It's pointless to argue about what is and isn't possible. There is only one possible proof, and that is if something does happen. I often see people saying things are impossible before something is possible, but I wonder what they are contributing towards those ends. Maybe you can motivate people to betray your expectations?

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could happen, just who knows when. I still think the switch will soon get a permanent cfw one day no chip needed. Hey it took the wiiu years before something like that happened, you know without needing a game. Probably going to happen right after there’s barely switch updates to make sure it won’t get blocked. Maybe someone is working on that behind the scenes.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It could happen, just who knows when. I still think the switch will soon get a permanent cfw one day no chip needed. Hey it took the wiiu years before something like that happened, you know without needing a game. Probably going to happen right after there’s barely switch updates to make sure it won’t get blocked. Maybe someone is working on that behind the scenes.
Maybe it is @impeeza and they don't want to blow their cover.

• Haha
Reactions: BigOnYa and impeeza

SilverLobster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it’s real but not sure about the flash cart for switch without cfw great it worked but you didn’t show if you were on a modded switch or not, I need to see them do a new video and with a demonstration again than show me system settings after. If atmosphere or whatever it was was able to block the cart slot from working, that would also mean there is a possibility they used a modded switch somehow I guess to use the cart slot. I just started to think about this the other day, hopefully I’m wrong and you really don’t need a modded switch. At this moment my thought is. It’s messed up if a bunch of v2 switch users get scammed, just show us the system menu.

Yeah I'm definitely going to need to see it working before I buy one, they didn't show enough in the video, didn't even play the game to make sure it works so that's either suspicious or they're worried about showing more.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
And somehow everyone seems to forget that Nintendo can update the Gamecard firmware. Or rather that they can also fix any exploits. So in the worst case, you'll be banned and the flash card will be rendered unusable by a firmware update (which will definitely happen). So you are a double loser because you are banned and have a useless flashcard xD

SilverLobster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For everyone planning on using one certificate across all of their backups, Nintendo has already solved this dilemma SIX years ago in case everybody forgot how online authentication works. Here's the write-up on Reddit by Mr. SciresM himself in case you don't remember or believe me.

tl;dr The online authentication uses game-specific data that when Nintendo doesn't match the certificate can easily swing the ban hammer. Oh and by the way, it has already happened to users when people did this on SX OS so good luck going online with this flashcard.

So I read the reddit post and couldn't find an answer to my question, I know as long I dump the games myself I shouldn't have to worry about getting banned because I'm the only one with the game certificates for each of my games.

But what would happen if I dump my games, sell them, play a game on my Switch with the flashcart, and on another Switch someone is playing with the cart I dumped, is Nintendo going to see a red flag when the same game cert is being used on more than one console at the same time and ban me? how would they know I'm using flashcart if it's giving out the exact same data as the real cart? surely it should be impossible for them to know who's using the real cart, right??
Post automatically merged:

And somehow everyone seems to forget that Nintendo can update the Gamecard firmware. Or rather that they can also fix any exploits. So in the worst case, you'll be banned and the flash card will be rendered unusable by a firmware update (which will definitely happen). So you are a double loser because you are banned and have a useless flashcard xD
SWITCH GAME CARTS HAVE FIRMWARE??? hmm well I guess that answers my question then, crap, this sucks, so basically buy the flashcart and you're playing games for free at the price of getting banned and your Switch never going online again....dang I guess I need a dummy Switch then huh?

Last edited by SilverLobster,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So I read the reddit post and couldn't find an answer to my question, I know as long I dump the games myself I shouldn't have to worry about getting banned because I'm the only one with the game certificates for each of my games.

But what would happen if I dump my games, sell them, play a game on my Switch with the flashcart, and on another Switch someone is playing with the cart I dumped, is Nintendo going to see a red flag when the same game cert is being used on more than one console at the same time and ban me? how would they know I'm using flashcart if it's giving out the exact same data as the real cart? surely it should be impossible for them to know who's using the real cart, right??
Post automatically merged:

SWITCH GAME CARTS HAVE FIRMWARE??? hmm well I guess that answers my question then, crap, this sucks, so basically buy the flashcart and you're playing games for free at the price of getting banned and your Switch never going online again....dang I guess I need a dummy Switch then huh?
I posted a potential scenario in which Nintendo can crack down in a post above. I am not personally aware of the cart firmware updates, and how they would have an effect on XCI files or the MIG. It sounds like a potential issue as well.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Part of the authentication relies on the unique certificate each cartridge has. SciresM doesn't post that scenario because he doesn't believe multiple people will be stupid enough to go online with the same certificate. Of course Nintendo will know if more than one person is using the same certificate; they are unique after all. Yes, it is impossible for them to know who's using the real certificate which is why they would just ban the certificate altogether which, as shown in the tweet, is very possible.

Reactions: BigOnYa and impeeza

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yes, it is impossible for them to know who's using the real certificate which is why they would just ban the certificate altogether which, as shown in the tweet, is very possible.

I've already posed the reason why they would need to be strategic to mitigate their losses. Straight up usurping the aftermarket of games because they are unsure of which person has a legit cart risks hurting them more than protecting them. While it's possible they will do that, it's not a simple choice.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already posed the reason why they would need to be strategic to mitigate their losses. Straight up usurping the aftermarket of games because they are unsure of which person has a legit cart risks hurting them more than protecting them. While it's possible they will do that, it's not a simple choice.
Nintendo sees absolutely zero profit in the secondhand market. If a person was going to buy it secondhand, they weren't likely to buy it firsthand so its a lost cause regardless. There's no reason for Nintendo to dish the banhammer for people using the same certificate because that is impossible to do without hacking. They don't have to ban the console; they can just that copy of the game from going online which they have already done so.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nintendo sees absolutely zero profit in the secondhand market. If a person was going to buy it secondhand, they weren't likely to buy it firsthand so its a lost cause regardless.

Direct profit, no. But a large part of why Nintendo hardware sells at consistent price points is because the aftermarket does exist. If they ruin the collectability/preservation/resale aspects of their product, it's going to hurt them. Seems like this should be a no-brainer.

Last edited by tabzer,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Direct profit, no. But a large part of why Nintendo hardware sells at consistent price points is because the aftermarket does exist. If they ruin the collectability/preservation/resale aspects of their product, it's going to hurt them. Seems like this should be a no-brainer.
Considering that they've already been banning cartridge certificates for 6 years now and the Switch is still selling like hotcakes, it doesn't seem like it hurt them. Seems like this really is a no-brainer.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Considering that they've already been banning cartridge certificates for 6 years now and the Switch is still selling like hotcakes, it doesn't seem like it hurt them. Seems like this really is a no-brainer.
It's not widespread, and has remained largely unnoticed (rare), but still creates negative feeling. If it becomes common that buying games second-hand have a notable risk of being banned or risk of eventual ban, it's going to have immeasurable effects.

"Risk" isn't something Nintendo wants its customers to associate with its name.

MIG is bad for Nintendo. There are ways they can mitigate the damage, but potentially banning the entire second-hand market isn't a reasonable response.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not widespread, and has remained largely unnoticed (rare), but still creates negative feeling. If it becomes common that buying games second-hand have a notable risk of being banned or risk of eventual ban, it's going to have immeasurable effects.

"Risk" isn't something Nintendo wants its customers to associate with its name.

MIG is bad for Nintendo. There are ways they can mitigate the damage, but potentially banning the entire second-hand market isn't a reasonable response.
You're arguing a theoretical effect on the market versus the actual actions Nintendo have already done on the second-hand market. If Nintendo has already started banning cartridge certificates, they will certainly not stop especially if there is a flashcard involved. This is obvious and cannot be refuted because they only started banning them due to SX OS. To Nintendo, that and the MIG Flashcard are hacks that promote piracy. Therefore they will do anything to hinder their functionality even at the risk of collateral damage. Rate of incidence is completely subjective and irrelevant because everyone will consider it to be "common" at different numbers. Without hard evidence of the repercussions, your words hold no water and doesn't mean anything in response to what Nintendo has already done and is going to continue doing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof