Hardware A new product claims to add up to 12 hours to the switch battery life

Dan-the-Rebirth

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Iam sceptical too, the real question iscalso when will they ship? Maby kickstarter and indegogo products Take years Abd who knows what else gets released by bigben and all the other main addon companies

wii94

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
the problem with a big battery attached to the switch is the weight increasment, ~800g is to heavy.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it even durable, shock resistant, reliant and not expensive? O_O
It does have some padding (it's meant to carry a small to medium sized laptop), but like I said I also stuck the Switch in there inside one of those blue cases they sell with Link on them, just for some extra protection. It might be just fine in there by itself, but I liked the idea of extra protection in case I did something stupid like accidentally sat on the bag or something like that.

The bag itself seems durable enough, though due to the leather be careful around water (I've gotten it a bit wet though and it's been fine). Cost me around $45, though I see on Amazon they have a slightly bigger one for less than that now for some reason. Given how much I liked the look of it, to me $45 is worth it. If I'm going to get a bag I'm going to carry around with me to and from work and other places, I might as well get something I like.

It's this one here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJOGYR2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said though, if that's too much, you could always shop around...I'm sure you can find something cheaper that isn't made (partly) with leather.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the problem with a big battery attached to the switch is the weight increasment, ~800g is to heavy.
I hadn't considered that...carrying around a power bank is one thing, but to have the weight of one attatched to your Switch constantly whenever you're using it in portable mode might be annoying.

Last edited by 9thSage,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Cool but I don't plan on taking my Switch on the go or play it too long on table top mode either.

Just find this a bit funny. But if it works for people. :P

giphy.gif

Edit: As for the actual "product" - I personally wouldn't get one. I just use my power bank, which I carry in my purse :P

Only a hipster or a moron would put their Switch in a pocket that's visible to everyone. It's basically telling the thugs: "Hey, come rob me."

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wonder how long a car battery powering the switch lasts? Probably 3 days. Yeah i think ill carry a lead/acid 12v car battery around with an inverter. It will be great.
Technically you could just hook it up to the switch car charger, which takes the 12v DC directly instead of using an inverter.

Reactions: ov3rkill

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The problem with these kind of accessories is that they always make the device really bulky. Personally I prefer having a powerbank I can plug in only when I need it, and that doesn't permanently make my device twice as thick.
One thing I saw is that the SwitchCharge has two ports on the left side of it.
One is for charging, but what's the other one?
Is it HDMI?
It would be nice if we could completely avoid using the dock by having an external HDMI port for quickly connecting it to the TV.
Looks like a Micro HDMI port.
HDMI-MINI-HDMI-MICRO-HDMI.jpg
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-4V2pG04...f3avRXGjA/s1600/HDMI-MINI-HDMI-MICRO-HDMI.jpg

It's micro USB for charging. One of the great thing with this is that the charging port is no longer on the bottom, so you can actually charge it while you play
There's a USB-C right next to it, I assume that's used for charging, and it wouldn't make sense to have both a USB-C and Micro USB for the same purpose, though I suppose it's possible.

That looks amazing, I don't have Switch yet but if that pans out I will get one when I do get the Switch.

How would you compare the standard Switch battery life with that of the WiiU? I was always disappointed with the WiiU pad battery life, of course it didn't matter as much playing at home. Does the Switch feel a little longer, or about the same?
I have the official extended battery for my Wii U gamepad, it helps A LOT, it adds about 1.5-2hrs to the battery life, which might not sound like much but it makes the difference between having to plug it in in the middle of a long gaming session, and not needing to charge it until the end. I've only ever had to plug it in (when it was fully charged when I started playing) when playing BotW, because that game is so addictive. The Switch's battery life is way shorter by comparison, probably a little bit shorter than the stock gamepad battery as well, but not that much shorter than the 3DS.
i wonder how long a car battery powering the switch lasts? Probably 3 days. Yeah i think ill carry a lead/acid 12v car battery around with an inverter. It will be great.
A lead acid battery should last a really long time.
3 days of playing constantly sounds about right.
Yes, I realize you're joking :P
Anyway, lead acid batteries are not terribly efficient. They're bulky, heavy, and from what I remember have about a third of the energy density compared to modern Li-Ion or Li-Poly batteries.
They're also kind of dangerous if they leak. Not that Li-Ion and Li-Poly batteries can't be dangerous.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with these kind of accessories is that they always make the device really bulky. Personally I prefer having a powerbank I can plug in only when I need it, and that doesn't permanently make my device twice as thick.
I prefer having a separate battery bank anyway. If you buy this device it only works for the switch. But with a standard power bank I can charge my switch, my phone, my 3ds, my shield portable, and any other future device that can charge via usb

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I prefer having a separate battery bank anyway. If you buy this device it only works for the switch. But with a standard power bank I can charge my switch, my phone, my 3ds, my shield portable, and any other future device that can charge via usb
I'm kind of tempted to get this: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-26800mAh-Recharged/dp/B01LRQDAEI
This one and one of the 20100mAh models from the same brand (there are two and only one of them will charge the switch at 15V so be careful of which one you buy) are the only powerbanks that can charge the Switch at full speed even while playing. Plus it's pretty beefy so it should be able to keep all my devices charged for days which is a big plus.
I have a 12000mAh powerbank which works fine for most of my needs but a 26800mAh one would be a lot better.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm kind of tempted to get this: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-26800mAh-Recharged/dp/B01LRQDAEI
This one and one of the 20100mAh models from the same brand (there are two and only one of them will charge the switch at 15V so be careful of which one you buy) are the only powerbanks that can charge the Switch at full speed even while playing. Plus it's pretty beefy so it should be able to keep all my devices charged for days which is a big plus.
I have a 12000mAh powerbank which works fine for most of my needs but a 26800mAh one would be a lot better.
This one works also...

https://sewelldirect.com/mos-go

and this one...

http://www.bestportablebattery.com/review-anker-powercore-speed-20000-pd-portable-charger/

lol if you can find one...

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Its not deceptive. The dock thing is just common sense, and the pricing is listed on the only place to back it right now. How is it deceptive?
I guess it's not really deceptive, it just kind of bugs me that they tout how great it is but don't mention those aspects in the trailer (but that's really what most advertising is anyways I guess).

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TBH Indiedgogo and Kickstarter don't really have the best track record for successful campaigns based on gimmicks. The Switch literally came out last month. The campaigners haven't had enough time to pick apart the dock and figure out exactly how it works, and may come across major problems they didn't anticipate - like figuring out how to stop the Switch from Jumping into TV mode (which will disable the screen, drain the battery pack way faster, and could cause cooling problems if you put the Switch down on a soft surface). And I bet you that by the time this actually launches, someone like Aukey will come out with something similar but better in key ways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM