Hacking The ultimate 'DS Battery Test' thread in the world......

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Melter said:
how much of a diffrence in battery life is there between brightness level 4 and 3 on a DS Lite?
Wouldn't know - never tried it.... perhaps you could ???
(since there's 4 brightness levels on a DSLite - I guess that would mean doing 4 Tests to see time difference between brightness levels)

I only did test using MAX brightness - since Nintendo's battery spec state 'Battery life @ MAX brightness'

EDIT: Just as I posted above the 'DSTwo Clean mode test just finished - time taken 6h 4mins
Note though: it MIGHT be longer due to temperature effects on battery, although I can't be sure but it might've been cooler today than when I did the original 'DSTwo Patch' test

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real-time menu requires the processor to be on at a low frequency, so I figured playtime would last longer with clean mode and it did.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
hullo8d said:
The real-time menu requires the processor to be on at a low frequency, so I figured playtime would last longer with clean mode and it did.
Aw right - might be the real reason then for a longer life

@melter: Well I said I wasn't gonna do any more but since I had not a lot to do over the Easter weekend & I think it's just as important to know this info - I've done SOME of the brightness tests (first post is also updated with this info)

===========

Test Group 7 - 'Screen brightness'
Someone suggested tests to see how much different the screen brightness affects battery life.
In this set of tests I used a DSTwo, 4Gb [Sandisk] Class 2 MicroSD card + v3 of Snailface's 'Battery Tester'

The 'Level Nos.' shown match the same 'Levels' on the DSTwo's 'DS_Game' launcher ( 'Start' > 'Settings' > 'Brightness' )

• Screen brightness set to 'Level 1' (Lowest): 7hrs 30min
  • Screen brightness set to 'Level 2' (Low-Mid) : TEST STILL TO DO 6hrs 00min
  • Screen brightness set to 'Level 3' (High-Mid): 4hrs 30min
  • Screen brightness set to 'Level 4' (Highest): 3hrs 35min

===========

Melter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks! can't beleive that brightness eats up so much battery

btw, what is the difference between DSTWO "clean" and "patch" mode?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Melter said:
thanks! can't beleive that brightness eats up so much battery
Yep - I couldn't believe the screen brightness result at first... I did the 'lowest' test first & then did the 'highest'
- when I saw the results I thought that Snailface's program was playing up (just like his v2 was doing in my original tests), so I re-did the 'highest' & the 'lowest' AGAIN to double check both results (that's why I never got round to finishing off all the tests over the weekend)

Melter said:
btw, what is the difference between DSTWO "clean" and "patch" mode?based on Terminators2 'ds2 for beginners thread
Q: What's the difference between clean and patch mode when launching NDS roms?
A: Clean mode means that there are zero patches done to the rom. It basically runs the NDS rom as it was meant to be run. This can help with some problematic games. By default, though, you should have patch mode on. Patch mode is the only mode that let's you access the real time menu during games, and is required for cheats to work.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Test results time!

Both tests had brightness 1, power saving on, and sound 50% (my preferred settings).
ohmy.gif
DStwo wins!

3DS AK2i-- snailface's battery timer (3ds version)*
6hr20min

3DS DStwo-- snailface's battery timer (3ds version)*
6hr35min

*I had to use a non-PA_RTC version of my app as the 3DS doesn't seem to support the PA_RTC function. I used the slightly less accurate CPU timer instead.

Additional note: I simply can't believe the DStwo beat the AK2i in this test. I will retest the AK2i for verification.

Snailface

Trophies
XP
Snailface said:
-snip-
6hr20min

6hr35min

-snip- shut up snailface!
tongue.gif
Stop the presses, the AK2i is the comeback kid! Improved time on retest --6hrs 45mins
I think I forgot to turn on the power saver in the first test.
tongue.gif

Next up in "The New Adventures of 3DS Battery Testing", I shall test the AK2i in the DS's native resolution mode. [the Temp shudders with anticipation!]

ChaosZero816

Temp's Official Random Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Snailface said:
Snailface said:
-snip-
6hr20min

6hr35min

-snip- shut up snailface!
tongue.gif
Stop the presses, the AK2i is the comeback kid! Improved time on retest --6hrs 45mins
I think I forgot to turn on the power saver in the first test.
tongue.gif

Next up in "The New Adventures of 3DS Battery Testing", I shall test the AK2i in the DS's native resolution mode. [the Temp shudders with anticipation!]

Wow! The AK2i made a comeback. This might influence the flashcart market for GBATemp users. Can't wait for future test results.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
^^ So this seems to show the AK2i is better, however with all my tests (& re-tests) the results shown are the SHORTEST battery life, I think it's best if I stick to that for all other results by other people for comparison....

... However IF 'Snailface' re-did the DSTwo test and THAT turned out to be shorter than the original result we can definitely say the Ak2i is better

Snailface

Trophies
XP
New Testings!

Brightness 1
Power Saving ON
Audio 50%
Native Resolution ON (256X192)
7hrs0min

Retest
(same as above but default res (320X240))
6hrs30min

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
1st test: 6hr 20min 2nd test: 6hr 45min

1st test: 6hr 35min 2nd test: 6hrs 30min
Hmm - so the DS2 re-test turned out to be similar to the original test, but the AK2 somehow 'improved' second time around... Weird

So even if we take the results (like I originally did) with the 'shortest time' being noted then the DSTwo still beats the AK2i (6h30m compared to 6h20m)

IF we however do it 'average battery life' then...
AK2i 'Av Battery Life': 6hrs 37mins
DStwo 'Av Battery Life': 6hrs 32mins

Not a lot in it then... seems as though the DSTwo is pretty much consistant with it's life but the AK2i can vary

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr, if you would please do a test on the DS2 running that sonic loop and compare patch mode and clean mode that would be great info to put in the FAQ/Beginner's Guide/whatever (to add to the Patch/Clean mode question)

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
andrew89 said:
Sausage Head said:
I don't think DownloadPlay uses Wi-Fi connection.Agree!!1But did you read my reply though ??
It doesn't - the test was for Battery Drain with the WiFi 'On' and 'Running' - the only way I could think of to do that WITHOUT actually starting a game with Wifi connection was to get the Wifi to constantly 'scan' for 'Download play' as I knew there was virtually no chance of actually finding one.
I guess I could've had my DS actually playing 'online' using the WiFi but I doubt I could've played solidly for over 3hrs.... could you ??

If I had another DS handy I guess I could've had those 2 'connected' with each other for the 3 hours - but as said in the disclaimer - I do have limited resources
wink.gif

Snailface

Trophies
XP
CannonFoddr said:
QUOTE said:
1st test: 6hr 20min 2nd test: 6hr 45min

1st test: 6hr 35min 2nd test: 6hrs 30min
Hmm - so the DS2 re-test turned out to be similar to the original test, but the AK2 somehow 'improved' second time around... Weird

So even if we take the results (like I originally did) with the 'shortest time' being noted then the DSTwo still beats the AK2i (6h30m compared to 6h20m)

IF we however do it 'average battery life' then...
AK2i 'Av Battery Life': 6hrs 37mins
DStwo 'Av Battery Life': 6hrs 32mins

Not a lot in it then... seems as though the DSTwo is pretty much consistant with it's life but the AK2i can vary
Just tested the newly 3DS functional R4iGold original and it blows the pants off the DStwo and AK2i on the 3DS.

R4iDS (original, r4ids.cn) 7hrs10mins
Brightness 1, Power Saving On, Volume 50%, snailface's battery timer

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Thanks for that result Snailface.... Added to the older battery test thread results

Quick question to everyone - do you think I should add the results from the older thread to the end of the first post here ?? even though the tests done there are different from the ones I did here ??(Please Don't post Yes/No, unless you also include a reason why - use the Poll instead just to keep things 'neat' - thanks)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help...