Hacking A mod for EZ-Flash 4 Lite to fit inside NDS Lite?

CrazyPeon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yah i tried doing this mod and it definitely won't fit because of the battery.

i'm guessing the guy who did it in the video, must have
a) taken out the battery
b) moved the battery to the left and soldered it

if anyone successfully mods it with the battery, let us know!

Have you tried opening a hole at where the battery is?
no, I don't want the battery sticking out of the dust cap.

The battery + holder looks pretty thin. I'd imagine half of its height would stick out, which you can use tape to secure it.
I'll probably give this a shot once I get a chance to mod my thing.
Is there any place where I get buy replacement dust caps?

UPDATE: Just checked the NDS website and it looks like Nintendo sells replacement Cartridge Slot Covers for $3.00 U.S each.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you need the battery? Will it not save gba or nds without it?

Yes, when you play a game the save for it is stored in the battery backed RAM until you next use your EZ4, then it is written to your SD just before the boot menu.

EDIT: Although I suppose you could do the power down and then power right back up thing. If you were fast enough it'd still be in RAM... Probably. I'm not going to desolder my battery to try.
smile.gif

litesaber

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yah i tried doing this mod and it definitely won't fit because of the battery.

i'm guessing the guy who did it in the video, must have
a) taken out the battery
b) moved the battery to the left and soldered it

if anyone successfully mods it with the battery, let us know!

Have you tried opening a hole at where the battery is?

no, I don't want the battery sticking out of the dust cap.

The battery + holder looks pretty thin. I'd imagine half of its height would stick out, which you can use tape to secure it.
I'll probably give this a shot once I get a chance to mod my thing.
Is there any place where I get buy replacement dust caps?

UPDATE: Just checked the NDS website and it looks like Nintendo sells replacement Cartridge Slot Covers for $3.00 U.S each.
do you even have the flash cart in hand?
because even though the pics may look small to you, in actuality, it's pretty thick because the battery is laid on top of a raised part (chip) on the board.
like i said, its pretty much impossible without moving the battery to the left.

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OMG. Great mnds think alike. I was just looking at my gba cover slot and wondering the same thing. You posted before me though
frown.gif

It doesnt look too hard.

zone97

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
heres what you gotta do, its my work in progress

the most important part is the sprayed part where you have to shave it down almost to the clear plastic of the original GBA dust cover

then you have to make holes for A and B to correspond to the original design, rest of the red boxes is where you obviously have to shave with a dremel or some other tool

and i used a sharp tweezer to unscrew the triwing, its pretty easy and requires no strength so you dont bend your tweezer tips

also you will have to glue it for sure cause i dont see any way to screw it together again....but i see a potential if you have the right tools, a very small drill bit for plastic (so it wont crack it) can make a self screw hole

if you are worried about what if your microsd card gets stuck in there and you'd have to break it open to take it out, either use a tweezer again or put some tape to make a flap on your microsd card so it pulls out like a tape tab on the end

How about this, trim the bottom off of the cart pins, so that it doesnt stick down and far, that way you can leave the front cover alone. Also for the battery just drill a hole over the top cover, the same size as the battery. When its in the unit you wont see it anyway. my changes marked in green and leter C, the filled in green is to be left alone.

v600blink

Trophies
XP
Country
heres what you gotta do, its my work in progress

the most important part is the sprayed part where you have to shave it down almost to the clear plastic of the original GBA dust cover

then you have to make holes for A and B to correspond to the original design, rest of the red boxes is where you obviously have to shave with a dremel or some other tool

and i used a sharp tweezer to unscrew the triwing, its pretty easy and requires no strength so you dont bend your tweezer tips

also you will have to glue it for sure cause i dont see any way to screw it together again....but i see a potential if you have the right tools, a very small drill bit for plastic (so it wont crack it) can make a self screw hole

if you are worried about what if your microsd card gets stuck in there and you'd have to break it open to take it out, either use a tweezer again or put some tape to make a flap on your microsd card so it pulls out like a tape tab on the end

How about this, trim the bottom off of the cart pins, so that it doesnt stick down and far, that way you can leave the front cover alone. Also for the battery just drill a hole over the top cover, the same size as the battery. When its in the unit you wont see it anyway. my changes marked in green and leter C, the filled in green is to be left alone.

did u do it? does it work?

yuwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
won't work because the GBA slot pins on the DS lite will overlap the insides of the EZ4.

v600blink: he said "how about this.." meaning, it's a suggestion and he's not going to attempt to try it.

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The gba slot has to be modded also if you want it to be flush. Here is a link to the creators post. Basically you take the EZ4 microSD PCB holder and cut off the very top. Then take the top part of the Dustcap and shave it down. Once finished the chips will be exposed when looking underneath the cart. To kept the microSD holder from blocking the cart from going in all the way, make the mod to the DSL as show in the pic. To me thats way to much work just to shave off 0.8mm but to each his own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back