A mod for EZ-Flash 4 Lite to fit inside NDS Lite?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by CrazyPeon, Jun 25, 2006.

1. CrazyPeon
    OP

Newcomer CrazyPeon Member

I was wondering, is it possible to mod the NDS Lite's GBA cartridge placeholder thing so that the EZ-Flash 4 can fit into it?

2. dnte

Newcomer dnte Member

Canada
  3. ZildjianKX

Member ZildjianKX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wow, that is awesome. Why the hell didn't the EZ team just do that?

4. CrazyPeon
    OP

I haven't received my EZ4L yet but based on my understanding, it comes with 3 replaceable shells that you can use to put the PCB into. So it would make sense if the EZ team would just release new perfect-fit shells for ppl who've already bought the EZ4L. I think that'd be awsome.

5. zone97

Member zone97 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This may have been asked but where is the cheapest, most reliable place to get a EZ4 lite. In the US preferably.

Or should i wait and see what the M3 (lite version) will be... I currently have a M3 mini works great.

This brings up another good question... If i get something other than an M3, can i use the roms off of it to put on the other or will I have to start from scratch, and re patch them for the new cart?

6. ZildjianKX

Member ZildjianKX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Pretty sure you have to repatch them, which really isn't a big deal, as long as you kept your original clean dumps.

Cheapest place I've found is Winsunx, $40 some dollars, with $18 shipping. Most places start at $60 for just the EZ4 Lite MicroSD.

7. razuraw

Newcomer razuraw Member

United Kingdom
    how did this guy do this?? looks realy good.

8. leonardo71286

Newcomer leonardo71286 Advanced Member

United States
    In any case; how do you go about opening the NDS Lite's GBA cartridge placeholder ? It has a special screw on the back.
    Anybody knows where to buy a screwdriver to open it up ?

9. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    it's called tri-wing and you can purchase it at play-asia.com, price is USD 4.99 + shipping.

10. Keva

Member Keva GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    That is awesome. I hope the EZ team do a replacement case like this as I wouldnt trust myself to do it [​IMG]

11. notchristopher

Member notchristopher GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ive been thinking about doing somthing like this ever since I got my ds lite. I'm too lazy tho so I ordered a g6 lite. But I still have my ezf4 in the box so I may still try it.

12. dsisive

Newcomer dsisive Member

Canada
    heres what you gotta do, its my work in progress

the most important part is the sprayed part where you have to shave it down almost to the clear plastic of the original GBA dust cover

then you have to make holes for A and B to correspond to the original design, rest of the red boxes is where you obviously have to shave with a dremel or some other tool

[​IMG]

and i used a sharp tweezer to unscrew the triwing, its pretty easy and requires no strength so you dont bend your tweezer tips

also you will have to glue it for sure cause i dont see any way to screw it together again....but i see a potential if you have the right tools, a very small drill bit for plastic (so it wont crack it) can make a self screw hole

if you are worried about what if your microsd card gets stuck in there and you'd have to break it open to take it out, either use a tweezer again or put some tape to make a flap on your microsd card so it pulls out like a tape tab on the end

13. fatman711

Newcomer fatman711 Member

dsisive, post the finished product soon please! Maybe post a guide on RFD too! Thanks!

14. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    I'm still waiting for winsunx to mail back and answer that I wanted to change my shipping address.. (i haven'¨t payed yet)
    i wrote my appartment address but I'm at my parents place this summer so they should ship here... [​IMG]
    damn...

15. CrazyPeon
    OP

Good job dsisive! I just went out and bought some plastic carving tools...now I'm just waiting to see your final guinea pig [​IMG]. I just received the EZ4L today (bought from gamersection.ca on Monday and it arrived Today) and I opened it up and compared it with the NDSL dust cover. Footprint-wise, it defnitely fits inside the dust cover but I'm kind of worried about the height due to the battery thing.

16. CrazyPeon
    OP

Regarding the uSD problem, I've read something that people warpped the card using tape so that a small flap sticks out from the insertion frame. To take the card out all you have to do is pull the plastic flap. I'll give this a try once I get my uSD card.

17. litesaber

Member litesaber GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    yah i tried doing this mod and it definitely won't fit because of the battery.

i'm guessing the guy who did it in the video, must have
    a) taken out the battery
    b) moved the battery to the left and soldered it

if anyone successfully mods it with the battery, let us know!

18. CrazyPeon
    OP

Have you tried opening a hole at where the battery is?

19. litesaber

Member litesaber GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    no, I don't want the battery sticking out of the dust cap.

20. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    Do you need the battery? Will it not save gba or nds without it?