FIXED A message to staff

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Dionicio3, May 31, 2017.

1. Dionicio3
    OP

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    I really appreciate when you clean up threads, however, it's a bit annoying to see a thread filled with "This message has been deleted" all over a thread. So why not creat a random thread in the staff forum, and move messages to that thread when doing huge clean ups. I know this probably not that good of an idea, but hey, it's a Suggestion

Thanks for taking your time to read this

Last edited by Dionicio3, May 31, 2017 - Reason: Can't find the revert button XD
    Quantumcat likes this.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    That's not how it works.

Besides, staff can actually delete the messages as well.

3. Dionicio3
    OP

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Oh, well, this thread is useless

4. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    We have two options available when deleting posts. Soft delete, and hard delete.

Soft delete results in the "This message has been removed" message you see. Yes, it does clutter up the thread a bit, but it gives us the nice ability to restore the post should it be determined that it was wrongfully deleted.

Hard delete, on the other hand, wipes it with no trace. In our logs we can see that post 123456 by <person> was hard deleted from <thread> but can't see what the post contents were, and it's unrestorable, outside of if there exists any backend magic that the admins can perform on the databases or anything.

The problem with moving them to a "deleted posts" hidden thread, is that if we need to move them back, we then can't tell where it came from :^)

raulpica, Riyaz, migles and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dionicio3
    OP

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Ah, ok, thanks for the info. I lean new things everyday

Sicklyboy likes this.
  6. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    That's a shame, It would be nice to be able to have soft delete which still hides the message. Same with deleted threads really. But hey not the end of the world really.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  7. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    I strongly dislike all of the clutter it adds as well. For aesthetics I'd love to just hard delete everything but that's really not fair to people if it's determined the post shouldn't be deleted, or if we need to go back and see if someone was posting in an abusive manner and needs to be reprimanded.

Personally I think deleted posts AND deleted threads should only be visible to moderators, but I don't even know if that's something xenforo supports.

Quantumcat and Tomato Hentai like this.
  8. migles
    This message by migles has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 31, 2017, Reason: off topic.
    May 31, 2017
  9. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    something else to note is that if we hard delete a post there is no visual representation that a post was there. Logically it leaves a hole in the conversation that might not make sense if we make a mistake of if something references a post that we have removed permanently.

10. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    It can be done. Every bit of XenForo can be modified. But most people that use third party forum software do so because they aren't experienced enough with php themselves or can't be bothered. I'm sure alot of request are denied for either of those two reasons.

11. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    I imagine @shaunj66 might be able to add this as an option if enough people wants an option like that since to my knowledge it should just be a matter of changing css to not display display the content.

Meanwhile - if someone uses Stylish they can use this quick little css hack I made to hide soft-deleted posts:
    https://userstyles.org/styles/143350/gbatemp-net-hide-deleted-posts

Quantumcat, VinsCool, WeedZ and 3 others like this.
  12. Dionicio3
    OP

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    The only problem with the Stylish option is, it's not a viable option on mobile.

13. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Which is why I mentioned that it should be possible to make it a forum option provided that there's a demand for it.

14. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
  15. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    But then we will miss the wonderful inner talks of moderators that many times leave very funny notes in the "Reason" field of removed messages.

16. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    This seems like such a non issue that I'm not sure it warrants any change unless enough people demand it. I can appreciate some might find it irritating but I expect they're the minority. I could try making the removal message less visible when I get time.

17. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    One other thing we can do is to simply NOT reply to a post which breaks the rules, ESPECIALLY if you know it will lead to another cascade of posts which will subsequently be deleted. ;) Just report and move on.

18. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Both vBulletin and IP.Board control the visibility of soft-deleted posts through permissions. I'm not as familiar with XenForo, but I'd be a little surprised if this wasn't a setting somewhere.

19. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I guess its different for me and the rest of the mod staff, but I have a need to see what is going on when posts are deleted.

Riyaz, raulpica and porkiewpyne like this.
  20. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    "Hide deleted content" could be an option for regular members who just don't want to see any deleted content.

What I would think would look the absolute best is "if more than x amount of deleted content in a row, clump them together". Like a little box saying:

"Messages by <person1>, <person2>, <person3> and 5 more have been deleted. "

That way, it wouldn't look as cluttered, while there's still traces left so there won't be any holes in the discussions.

Last edited by Issac, Jun 1, 2017
  21. GhostLatte

GhostLatte Yet Another Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The University of Shitpostology
    Can't a feature be implemented that makes hard deleted posts visible?

WeedZ likes this.