A look into the 3DS's physical design.

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
Eerpow said:
I like the new anti-fingerprint coating, I was kind of worried it would turn out like the black DS lite. It also has 6 light settings and strengthened hinges. They explain why the upper part is black and how difficult it was to install the 3D cameras and to keep them perfectly aligned even if you dropped the system.
Everyone should give the Iwata Ask interview a read, it's very informative.
I'm not sure how many different brightness settings are available (could still be 4), but what the interviewees are actually talking about are the amount of lights that indicate power, etc. on the handheld:

Iwata: And there are more lights this time.

Miyatake: There are six, which is the most ever.

Iwata: The Nintendo DSi system had four. From the viewpoint of design, what was involved in laying them all out?

Miyatake: The lights on the Nintendo DS Lite and Nintendo DSi systems were all lined up on the hinge. But there are six this time, so we put the power light next to the power button and the 3D light next to the 3D Depth Slider.

Iwata: For the users, that’s probably easier in some ways than having them all lined up in one place.

Miyatake: Yes. Since there were more lights, we made them easier to understand. The wireless light is next to the wireless switch. We laid them out so you can naturally tell what they mean just as you use the system.

The Notification Light tells you when the system’s distinctive features StreetPass and SpotPass have been active. It’s on the hinge so it is easily noticeable when shining.
Personally, I love the 3DS' design. For me it's a damn good looking handheld!
biggrin.gif

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
KinGamer7 said:
Eerpow said:
I like the new anti-fingerprint coating, I was kind of worried it would turn out like the black DS lite. It also has 6 light settings and strengthened hinges. They explain why the upper part is black and how difficult it was to install the 3D cameras and to keep them perfectly aligned even if you dropped the system.
Everyone should give the Iwata Ask interview a read, it's very informative.
I'm not sure how many different brightness settings are available (could still be 4), but what the interviewees are talking about are the amount of LEDs on the handheld:

Iwata: And there are more lights this time.

Miyatake: There are six, which is the most ever.

Iwata: The Nintendo DSi system had four. From the viewpoint of design, what was involved in laying them all out?

Miyatake: The lights on the Nintendo DS Lite and Nintendo DSi systems were all lined up on the hinge. But there are six this time, so we put the power light next to the power button and the 3D light next to the 3D Depth Slider.

Iwata: For the users, that’s probably easier in some ways than having them all lined up in one place.

Miyatake: Yes. Since there were more lights, we made them easier to understand. The wireless light is next to the wireless switch. We laid them out so you can naturally tell what they mean just as you use the system.

The Notification Light tells you when the system’s distinctive features StreetPass and SpotPass have been active. It’s on the hinge so it is easily noticeable when shining.

Personally, I love the 3DS' design. For me it's a damn good looking handheld!
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah sorry my mistake. I did read the interview yesterday and I took a quick look before the post.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
looks nice in my opinion, even though its not as flush as the ds lite (which was the best design imo). I would much prefer a slightly unsexier design (which doesn't look identical to it's predecessors) and is built to be durable than something that is going to break within 2 months.
Remember: 'Comfort is the enemy of fashion'

Samurai Goomba

Trophies
XP
Country
Lube_Skyballer said:
CA519705950 said:
I don't want to sound miserable here or put a downer on the 3DS or anything... I'm certainly not a hater either, the 3DS seems great... but it's one of the ugliest handhelds I've ever personally seen.
3DS the ugliest? What about the Grey Nintendo DS launched in 2005!
Call me mad, but I've always felt that the original DS system is more attractive than the DS Lite. The Lite always felt like a cheap, 'plasticy' knock-off product.

The original DS felt solid, well-built and comfortable to hold. The metallic shell also made it look more like an expensive, premium product.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Samurai Goomba said:
The original DS felt solid, well-built and comfortable to hold. The metallic shell also made it look more like an expensive, premium product.

solid: well technically they're all solids but the ds phat was actually quite flimsy in parts

well-built: seriously? everybody i know's ds phats have broken, mostly at the hinge but also dodgy touch screens and chipped corners etc.

comfortable to hold: hold your hands out in front of you now as if you were holding a portable games console, they naturally feel more relaxed when they're closer together, like with the ds lite/i opposed to the chunky massive ds phat.

expensive-looking metallic shell: nearly all handheld games consoles, smart phones etc these days have either a shiny & glossy or matte finish. especially the higher end ones, same with laptops also. imo the ds phat shell looked cheap and tacky, like something from poundland....

Samurai Goomba

Trophies
XP
Country
1. Don't be so pedantic.
2. Everything ever has broken. The point is mine didn't so I've always had the impression that it is a sturdy device.
3. Not for me, they don't.
4. Well, that's just your opinion and I respect that.

Peace out.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
soz to sound pedantic it's just that's how i find the easiest way of structuring my responses, otherwise no one can understand them as they're all jumbled up and complicated...

zeyu6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't actually care how anything looks like, but I DO care about the quality of things.
The D-pad in the gbasp and nds 'phat' was great quality and believe it or not, my gbasp d-pad actually lasted longer than my ds-lite d-pad.
I actually like the tough d-pad that make a 'click' when pushed down, not the ones that have the rubbery stuff under them to make them more 'comfortable'
My ds-lite only lasted for 1 year of madly playing mario kart which totally wrecked up the d=pad so that it has no resistance at all.
Unfortunately, the comfortable d=pads seemed to catch on and nintendo has it on the 3ds again. I'm just hoping that this d-pad is like the on eon the wii: really high quality and tough. My wii d-pad hasn't died yet even after a long time of playing virtual console and kirby's epic yarn.
The only problem I'm probably going to have is the d-pad issue, but hopefully most games will require the slide-pad and not the d-pad. so hopefully that means that the 3ds d-pad is goinbg to last longer in my hands.
I STRONGLY prefer those old 'clicky' d-pads since they respond better and last longer. Hope nintendo tales those clicky pads into consideration...

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
monkat said:
I...I kinda like the design...A lot...
What, more than your nipples? Just kidding!
laugh.gif

I like it too. The 3DS, that is.
nyanya.gif

QUOTE(bluebowser31 @ Feb 6 2011, 06:16 AM) thats pretty cool, there bringing back the retro, square look of consoles =D

@Wizzerza, is your sig a screw?
The sig looks more like a spring. Or maybe it's just a curly turd
nyanya.gif

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
i don't really know what it is, but thx for reminding me to change it... i'm going to make a new one.

OT: so long as the top and bottom aren't as different as the ds phat then i'm alright, i kinda like things flush and neat.

stupid2ass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I played with the 3DS at Nintendo World in Chiba and it felt REALLY good and didn't feel top heavy at all. It was much more comfortable to hold than the DSi/XL and PSP. Can't wait to play it for longer (max 10 minutes per game over there) and play with the depth slider more.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems Nintendo reverted back to using the single hinge style, which is known to break and cause damage (ie, DSL left-hinge issues). No idea as to why this was decided, but I am 99% positive it is a single hinge. It looked and felt that way when I used it.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
HAHAHAHA LOLNO.

That's the NGP's screen.

Moar like Nine Gajillion Pounds! How much is it costing right now? $349? Silly expensive OLEDs.

Also, while we're on the topic, is it a Super AMOLED+?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1