OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
So I have a 3DS with 4.3FW & have been using Gateway cards for the last few years, I am caught up with the current Official FW on Emunand & my gateway version is 3.6. Now on to my question,

I noticed in this new release they mentioned "GW.3DSX" in looking for information on what exactly it was i got a bit more confused as apparently there is a Homebrew channel for the 3DS? (Like the Wii?) and people are stating they are booting with "L" So what I am wondering is I am currently still using the old blue card load, then to DS profile, then to Gateway Mode - Are people really just holding down the "L" on startup and going into Emunand? or am I misinterpreting this? If so is there a method I can do to avoid the Blue card?

Thanks

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You're going to need a huge amount of catch-up :P

But yeah, basically people are just booting to emuNAND by pressing L. Or even pressing nothing, that's better. you'll need to update your sysNAND to 9.2 using rxTool's devmode to install menuhax though.

And if you want to learn more about homebrew, I'd suggest this http://smealum.github.io/3ds/. Not sure if it's the best starting point but that's still interesting I guess.

Reactions: The9thBit

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah that was what I was afraid of..... I have gotten behind with the times (as you already noticed) The problem is with the massive amounts of info out there, I have no problem in doing the research it just feels there's several directions to go in not necessarily knowing where each will end. While I'm certainly not Tech inept, Is it possible to just type a quick summary of "Methods" not necessarily step by step but an overview of what I need to do to get from point A to point B and have an auto boot or at least simply holding L to get into emunand? or even a tutorial(s) would be awesome

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This tutorial here covers a lot of things https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
Its goal is rxTools, but once you've set everything up, getting your 3DS to boot GW instead of rxTools is just changing a few lines in a cfg.
And don't worry, that tutorial seems longer than an iPhone 5 but there are a lot of sections that you will skip. So I'd advise to read it all first without doing anything (and skipping the sections that you obviously don't care about) then doing it when you feel ready to spend the time :P

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You're going to need a huge amount of catch-up :P

But yeah, basically people are just booting to emuNAND by pressing L. Or even pressing nothing, that's better. you'll need to update your sysNAND to 9.2 using rxTool's devmode to install menuhax though.

And if you want to learn more about homebrew, I'd suggest this http://smealum.github.io/3ds/. Not sure if it's the best starting point but that's still interesting I guess.

Ok so looking into all this it appears people are launching rxTools with FBI injector to get to Emunand without the blue card, and it appears they have to use an Internet connection or tether off a phone hotspot (Really the same thing) & I clearly now see the Homebrew channel is more of a custom Firmware similar to a JTag 360 that allows just .cia files to run.... so I guess my final question is, is there any method out there that does not require the use of the internet that can boot directly into emunand? or is that what the "Launching rxTools at boot" with menuhax is actually doing?

btw. Thank you for the link to the tutorial I just read through most of a it a bit ago and was reading up on the homebrew channel

Last edited by Abstract3000,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok so looking into all this it appears people are launching rxTools with FBI injector to get to Emunand without the blue card, and it appears they have to use an Internet connection or tether off a phone hotspot (Really the same thing)
Erm, not really.

The FBI injector is one of the steps you don't care about since you have a GW. The goal of the injection is to inject FBI into sysNAND before creating the emuNAND in order to have a cia manager on the emuNAND. But since you have a GW, you can put a cia manager on your red card at any moment, you really don't care about that.

And it has nothing to do with booting rxTools. You can boot rxTools with your blue card for example, or with a browser hack. And you may say "but my goal is to get rid of that blue card, and using a browser is worse". I completely agree, but only do that temporarily in order to update your sysNAND to 9.2 (using pastamode/devmode, NOT rxMode) then with menuhax will allow you to boot things (rxTools or GW or even both, using CtrBootManager) directly when booting your 3DS and without an internet connection.

And the "homebrew channel" doesn't allow cia files, it allows 3dsx ones. rxTools allows cia files though, and GW allows both cia and 3dsx files.

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Erm, not really.

The FBI injector is one of the steps you don't care about since you have a GW. The goal of the injection is to inject FBI into sysNAND before creating the emuNAND in order to have a cia manager on the emuNAND. But since you have a GW, you can put a cia manager on your red card at any moment, you really don't care about that.

And it has nothing to do with booting rxTools. You can boot rxTools with your blue card for example, or with a browser hack. And you may say "but my goal is to get rid of that blue card, and using a browser is worse". I completely agree, but only do that temporarily in order to update your sysNAND to 9.2 (using pastamode/devmode, NOT rxMode) then with menuhax will allow you to boot things (rxTools or GW or even both, using CtrBootManager) directly when booting your 3DS and without an internet connection.

And the "homebrew channel" doesn't allow cia files, it allows 3dsx ones. rxTools allows cia files though, and GW allows both cia and 3dsx files.
Excellent! Thank you for the overview much appreciated, I think i was getting homebrew and NinjaHax mixed up there, but the rxTools seems like the better route so knowing the basic overview I will look into it and see if I can get this all worked out. Thanks again!

Reactions: zezzo

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to just point this out. The whole point of this boot method for GW is for 9.2 users to not need external devices to boot GW. We need either a phone app or internet to boot GW. Honestly this was making GW more obsolete when CFW can just cold boot. If you didn't have a GW there was no reason to buy one. Now we can just use GW. If you have a FW that can use Mset exploit I say stick with it. It may not be AS convenient but it works well and requires no extra work right?

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can see your point :) The thing that appeals to me not having to use the blue card is the problems I have with it. When loading the GW exe on the blue card (I have 2 Different Sets of GW Cards both with the same problem) Half the time when loading it halts half way through forcing me to eject the card and power off and repeatedly try again till it loads all the way, then there is typically no issues after that, just gets frustrating and was thinking of making it a bit easier. I guess I was under the impression this method would still require me to use the red card and just drop me off in the main GW menu, I was going to look more into this tonight before trying anything though

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't need the blue card every boot. I thought it was one and done. Then you just went into system settings, clicked the DS profile, and it booted the code. That's what I understood from a friend. You just used blue card the one time unless you play a DS game in which it would mess it up.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can see your point :) The thing that appeals to me not having to use the blue card is the problems I have with it. When loading the GW exe on the blue card (I have 2 Different Sets of GW Cards both with the same problem) Half the time when loading it halts half way through forcing me to eject the card and power off and repeatedly try again till it loads all the way, then there is typically no issues after that, just gets frustrating and was thinking of making it a bit easier. I guess I was under the impression this method would still require me to use the red card and just drop me off in the main GW menu, I was going to look more into this tonight before trying anything though
Yes, the new method doesn't change anything about the red card. Which means that if you always keep your red card in your 3ds, your console will always boot automatically to emuNAND without you having to swap anything or press any key. If you don't always put the red card in your 3ds then yes, obviously it will only boot until the GW menu, expecting the red card to be here.

But if you want to get rid of the red card too, then still follow that tutorial and then don't change anything, just keep rxTools. It basically gives the same features as Gateway (same emuNAND, .cia support, things like that) except it doesn't support .3ds files (since .3ds files need a cart like the red card). You'll only have problems converting some retail cart saves from the old encryption to the newer one but in that case, you can follow this tutorial.

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well appreciate all the help it has been more than enough, I at least feel caught up as to what is going on now. And thanks for the tip on the blue card Hero, did this change? I tried and sure enough no need for blue card, but if I remember correctly I had tried this a few years ago when I got them and it was a no go.

I will continue looking into the available options, but as now I realize no need for that blue card messing up just going to settings and clicking on DS profile and going directly to Emunand has made my day already!

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for this thread. I am on 4.5 on SysNAND too and thought about an easier way to boot into EmuNAND. But I don't want to update my SysNAND, so I'll stick with my blue card option. : )

Still, if you find other possibilitiess for you I would gladly hear it.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for this thread. I am on 4.5 on SysNAND too and thought about an easier way to boot into EmuNAND. But I don't want to update my SysNAND, so I'll stick with my blue card option. : )

Remember you only need to install the exploit with the blue card ONCE and then you can just boot by going to settings and DS profile. You only have to reinstall the exploit with the blue card if you play a DS game.

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

To be honest for my main carry around 3DS I think I'm just going to stick with the White Card, as they mentioned since you have already used the Blue Card you can now just leave the white card in there, power up and click on DS profile and go straight into Emunand . That is Quick enough for me, but as I have 4 3DS's I'm also going to pursue the rxTools options on another just to see whats out there, and also if your concerned with SysNand GW can downgrade the SysNand from 9.2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.