1. renegade2k82

OP renegade2k82 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok so when i try to load up the save with a emulator like mgba it acts like the save is blank and there is nothing there.I also tryed to change it to .srm for retroarch and same thing happens.is there anyway to fix this?I dont have the luxery of getting multiple friends together just to complete four swords to unlock the extra stuff for a link to the past and this save is supposed to have four swords complete yet when i load it nothing is done on it.here is the link to the save file https://www.dropbox.com/s/ef7fs8dcd...4S_complete-_by_nicko_aura_thug4life.zip?dl=0 Thanks

2. EuanF

EuanF Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I'm not allowed to post links yet, but I might be able to help. I wrote an online save file converter which handles some GBA formats. Looking at your files, I think they're too big (a common problem with GBA saves). I would recommend either:
    - Use a hex editor to cut those saves down to 8192 bytes each (if you're comfortable using a hex editor)
    - Use my converter (you can find it at savefileconverter dot com) to convert those files back and forth from gameshark format (they look to currently be in emulator/raw format) and use it to cut the size down to 8192 bytes
    - Go to gamefaqs and download one of the gameshark (not gameshark sp) saves there and run it though my converter to convert it to emulator/raw format and simultaneously cut it down to that size

Check out the help tooltips in the converter for a bit more explanation about save sizes on the GBA. There's also more info in links from the github page which you can find linked from the converter.

Hopefully one of those works for you!

3. EuanF

EuanF Member
    Newcomer

Canada
  4. renegade2k82

Newcomer

United States
    Thank you so much your a life saver after using your converter and converting it to 8192 bytes it works fine now as a .sav for mgba but when converting back from a gameshark save to a .srm for retroarch instead of .sav retroarch still sees it blank.your converter got it working for using it as a .sav but not .srm.dont get me wrong im glad changing the size fixes it for emulators that use .sav but i would like to getting it to work for retroarch so how do i do that?

Last edited by renegade2k82, Apr 25, 2021
  5. EuanF

EuanF Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Hm, I'm not sure what's gone wrong there. Can you post the files all laid out step by step somewhere? Like, original file, then the one that works with mgba then the one that doesn't work with retroarch?

6. renegade2k82

Newcomer

United States
    yeah sure here is a zip of the save files and i separated them by folder by orginial,retroach and mgba https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2kwoo8uymnawmb/Save files.zip?dl=0

zfreeman likes this.
  7. EuanF

EuanF Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Thankls -- I'll take a look when I get a sec.

In the meantime, did you check out the help icon in the converter beside the file size? Different emulators may need different file sizes (and file names), so what works in one might not work in another. Did you try making a test save in Retroarch and making your file the same size and name as that file?

There's some more info on GBA save file sizes here in links off of here: https://github.com/euan-forrester/save-file-converter

8. EuanF

EuanF Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Yeah I took a quick look at your files, and the first 8k of the retroarch file is identical to your original file, so nothing was damaged or missed by the converter. So I think that the issue is mostly likely that the name or size isn't what Retroarch expects -- try making a test save and then making the file have the same size and name as that file.

9. renegade2k82

Newcomer

United States
  10. EuanF

EuanF Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Hmm sorry I don't think I can help anymore. I don't know why the file you used wouldn't work -- I don't see anything special about the file you sent that works with retroarch. As long as you've followed the way that retroarch expects its files to be, I don't know what else could be wrong since your file does work with a different emulator. To me this sounds like an issue to do with retroarch and I don't think I can help anymore, I'm sorry.

11. renegade2k82

Newcomer

United States
    Ok so i did some digging around about retroarch and the saves it uses well i believe i found the issue apparently retroarch uses saves that are 136kb in size so that would explain the save working in mgba but not retroarch now if i could convert the .sav to the 136kb size it should work so maybe you can still help. Although someone got a srm save working for retroarch and its the original files size of 64kb so i dont know why it doesnt match up to having to be 136kb in size to work that google tells me.apparently they just changed the .Sav extension to .srm to get it to work but I tried many times and couldn't replicate it to work so I don't know what there doing special.but the problem is they already did some progress on a link to past and i would rather start from the begging like the original save intends anyways heres a link to the save file they sent me https://mega.nz/file/zyIiCBxZ#Ay5xslZH1Jgu-jw59u9H1AOysGjYVe8lHMI-I_q8aKg

Last edited by renegade2k82, Apr 26, 2021
  12. EuanF

EuanF Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I'm not sure what to say. 136kB is not a standard GBA save file size, so I don't want to add it to the converter. I don't know what to say about it: there's so much extra room going from 136kB to even 128kB (the largest actual GBA save size) that it's not going to just be taken up by a header like most of these formats have. So I don't think that just padding out the file with zeros until it's 136kB in size (which is what the converter would do) will work.

The file you sent just now looks like another raw save, 64kB in size, just like your original one. I don't know what to say about it any more than that.

It sounds like the issue you're having is specific to the particular save you want to use and/or to Retroarch (which I don't know anything about) so I think you're going to have to turn there for further answers, sorry. I can't help you any more.

13. renegade2k82

Newcomer

United States
    I figured it out.I had to load it as a gameshark save 8kb then save the game.It wasent working before because i kept forgetting to save it then use the saved game.

14. EuanF

EuanF Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Great, I'm glad it's working now!

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - swords, please,