A Link to the Dream - Link's Awakening Remake

Do you think A Link to the Past's graphics has aged well?

• Total voters

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sorry but I'll stand by what i said, ALTTP is now being used for more things like mario has games released by Nintendo. Yes I know blah, blah nostalgia and all that but come on use something a bit more flashy, Only thing I will say is the redheaded zelda is nice but I think an edit of minish cap Malon's sprite would of worked better.

Last edited by WiikeyHacker,

oclero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok then fork the game code (it's open source), just replace the Link PNG sprite file with Malon's one and boom! Done. Everyone's happy.

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I could make the sprite sheet for you but I have a few life issues i need to deal with I mean I would make the sheet for you but it all depends on time, However if i did make sprite sheets for this I would like to be credited.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, first time I've seen this, would definitely like, although a release (final version especially) seems unlikely (but fingers crossed for you!!). And the vote is a resounding yes from me: LTTP visual style is timeless - anyone mentioning Minish Cap's visuals - great game, I finished it again a few weeks back .....but, ney. 'Meh' graphics spring to mind.

I could make the sprite sheet for you but I have a few life issues i need to deal with I mean I would make the sheet for you but it all depends on time, However if i did make sprite sheets for this I would like to be credited.

:lol: - Did you not read his last reply?! Clearly not... and the 'I want crediting' edit is fukkin hilarious, definitely made me laugh! ;)

Last edited by mightymuffy,

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
sorry you feel that way mightymuffty It's just im sick of people only using ALTTP for everything feels to Mario-ish for my tastes among a few others here.

oclero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Fork the game and change the sprite sheet in your own version.

Just add your name as an author in the project file (manually or with Solarus Quest Editor).

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just im sick of people only using ALTTP for everything feels to Mario-ish for my tastes among a few others here.

I don't think I've ever seen someone this salty about a graphics style. Damn near half the posts are people saying ti looks good and they are looking forward to it, and the rest of the posts are you shitting on it. How about, the next time you have a thought just let it go.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm not salty about it I just feel ALTTP Is being used to much and needs to have something else used instead. So in retrospect i'm just saying it's not bad to try something new.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's pretty clear that WiikeyHacker hates the Super Nintendo. I have no nostalgic attachment to the system whatsoever, and yet, Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG, MegaMan X1 is my favorite traditional 2D platformer, and I'm very excited for this project, more so than the official remake.

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I actually do like the snes just not a fan of ALTTP as everywhere I go people are praising the top down perspective and re-using it over and over again, As a matter of fact my most loved games are Bahamut Lagoon, Seiken Densetsu 3 (or Secret Of Mana 2 for you "westerners") and Fire Emblem Tharcia 776. It's just I find ALTTP too over hyped and over praised when there are much better games of the franchise out there Twilight Princess and the oracle games are to name a few even the bs third journey game is a better game. I actually haven't ever played Chrono Trigger but i heard it's got designs similar to Dragonball Z so my Boyfriend would like it

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a matter of fact my most loved games are Bahamut Lagoon, Seiken Densetsu 3 (or Secret Of Mana 2 for you "westerners") and Fire Emblem Tharcia 776.
It wasn't until this post that I actually noticed you're from Japan. To this day, none of those games have been officially released here in the USA.

I was thinking of making a "triforce of the gods" joke.

Josshy0125

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Very neat project. When it first came out, I was astounded by the graphics. But now, especially compared to some other games, I really dislike the graphical style of ALttP, and really don't think it had aged well. Maybe using Minish Cap would be better.

oclero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe using Minish Cap would be better.

I personnally love Minish Cap art style, but there is not a better/worse one: it's a matter of taste. Maybe for you MC is better, but we're not creating the game for you; we're creating it for us.

I don't want to repeat myself again and again but... We decided to use ALTTP art style because of nostalgia, and because of the artistic decision to recreate what the game could have been on SNES. We even plan to print game manual, boxes and cartridge stickers to recreate the exact feeling of what we experienced as children.

If you really dislike the graphics (it's your right), you have 2 options:
  1. Don't play the game, neither watch videos of it (easy ^_^).
  2. Change the graphics by creating the tilesets and sprites from Minish Cap. You can do it because our game and game dev tools are free and open-source (a bit harder, but you'll learn a lot and make Minish Cap fans happy ;)).
We don't plan to remake the game with Minish Cap tiles and sprites because people in the team already spent months and months to create all the custom art (hundreds of tiles, sprites, sounds, musics...) needed for the game. So if you want to do it, go go go go !

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST COMMENTED A YOUR MOM JOKE ON A GACHA YT COMMUNITY POST (the algorithm has cursed me in terms of community posts, bc I fuck around on that sort of community post, just commenting and being a jackass)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT FELT SO GOOD
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the OP made a couple vocaloid characters, and the post had the caption "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: they're from vocaloid"
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    to which I responded:
    "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: it's uremum"
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some awesome pranks but I'm afraid to test them lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thank goodness for VPN nowadays
    I don't trust them lol
    Hmmm probably because reasons...
    Ohhh don't touch them lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So Internet is very much faster now lol