Homebrew A few questions about Boot9strap (I have read the documentation)

hemhemhem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'd like to update my system to Boot9strap but there are some things that I'd like to know first...
I'm still using Menuhax, I never updated to a9lh because I read that the installation was dangerous and it required another downgrade, but this time I want to do it.

I'm still on Old 3DS, so if I do the procedure, I'll find myself on the latest firmware (Old 3DS), this means that I won't have any entry point anymore (from the unpatched SysNAND) and my only way to run homebrew will be Boot9strap, so everything must work or I'll probably be blocked forever (I know that the risk of bricking is a lot more scary, but having an unhacked 9.x firmware as backup option made me feel more safe previously, losing it makes me a bit more concerned).

I was unable to find an answere to these questions despite reading a lot of stuff related to the new hack:

1-Is the hack reversible? Is it possible to remove it completely and restore the original boot files?
It's not something that I will do or anything, but I would like to have this option because who knows what could happen in the future.

2-What happens if I turn on the 3DS without the SD card inserted? I have read in the guide that a certain point the console freezes (or reboots, can't remember) because everything is installed but it can't find any payload on the SD. Does this mean that with no SD inserted, the 3DS will act as if it's bricked?
I'd like to be able to use my 3DS even if my SD is corrupted or broken, in the future; I know I would lose a lot of features but I prefer to be safe.

3-Is there a possibility to run the emunand once everything is set up? I still have stuff in my emunand, though I don't want to overwrite my sysnand, I want to delete my emunand but I want to backup some saves and stuff I have in it first; if it remains, I'll do this after the update, if I won't be able to access it anymore, I must backup the stuff before the update.

4-Is it possible to still access to the regular SysNAND (not patched by Luma) once the new hack is installed? This is not necessary but I'd like to know if it's possible, just out of curiosity.

5-this is probably a stupid question, but any way... If I delete the EmuNAND partition after everything is installed, will everything work just fine? Will I be able to use cias that I installed in Emunand through FBI, and were also accessible from SysNAND, or they will be deleted with the partition?

6-Will GBA vc games still work on Luma patched SysNAND? I used RxTools to patch the SysNAND and run GBA games previously, but with the new hack RxTools won't be launchable anymore I assume.

7-When you exit from apps like the system configurations, will you remain in patched Sysnand or will you lose the patches like happend with MenuHAX and the older CFWs?

I hope I haven't forgot anything.

Thank You!

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Use this guide and start from the very beginning. https://3ds.guide/

1. Yes, you can restore a NAND backup using Godmode9 without the (safe) option to get rid of Boot9strap.

2. The guide has you copy the new boot.firm payload to the CTRNAND of your 3DS. So if it cannot read the payload from the SD card, or it isn't present it will load the CFW from there.

3. Of course you can still use your EmuNAND after everything is completed. I'd recommend making an EmuNAND backup before starting.

4. No, you cannot access an unpatched SysNAND when running B9S. You can run either the patched sysNAND or emuNAND.

5. The guide suggests if you're using emuNAND to restore your emuNAND backup to sysNAND, you should retain your installs and saves. So after you install Boot9Strap follow this part of the guide to move your emuNAND. https://3ds.guide/move-emunand

6. GBA games do work with B9S and the latest Luma release. You may have to install a fresh system titles which you can find directions for that here: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/FAQ-and-troubleshooting

7. Yes, you will. These hacks do not "reboot" when the system is soft reset, they are always active in comparison to your current setup.

Reactions: hemhemhem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol