Hacking a couple of questions

Arendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
so, I've been reading a lot lately and I'm finding it pretty difficult to follow it all...

I've read that you shouldn't update your system menu, I've read that you could without a problem - although that Starfall won't work, so you have no recovery if you update to newer versions? But I've also read that you could update your mii channel and shop channel...

Now, my first question is: I downgraded from 3.4 to 3.2E... Do I need to update my shop and mii channel? and what happens if I don't and I try them, will they brick my Wii?

Also, I've been looking for a new backup loader channel, with the 002 fix in it... Now there was a Gamma002fix_r2, but that was an app, I'd really like it to be a channel... I've read there are a couple, or a lot actually, but I don't understand any of it, since they all seem outdated ... and some of them - the best according to few - are for widescreen only and shouldn't be tried if you don't know how to recover from a banner brick.

That brings us to my second and third questions:
-can someone point me to the correct Backup Loader channel - just the Gamma v0.3 channel with the 002 fix would be great
tongue.gif
(I already have two: Wiiish-BKUP.wad and BackupLauncher_03g_Wiiish 002fix pal50.wad)
-how do I use the recovery menu without a classic GC controller? and how do I prepare my Wii to recover from a brick, or is having Starfall installed enough until the worst thing happens?

and here are a couple of random questions I couldn't find answers to:
-how does one add his own banner to a channel?
-what's the whole autoboot thingy with the backup loaders?
-why would I want to force PAL - all my games are PAL anyway...
-and what about the force PAL50 or PAL60, what's that? 60 Herz framerate, I'm quessing? Why would I want to force my TV to change framerate?
-what is the Hooktype and what does it do? the backup loader has it automatically set to GC Pad, what are the other options? Wii Pad and another thing...

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I had it in the begin very fifficult too but if you need info ask me with an pm that questions that youre no have are difficult for my too! and lol that youre dutch too!

lourens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You will not brick your Wii by starting an outdated Mii or Shop channel, updating those is recommended.
The Channel : http://www.2shared.com/file/4503963/5d5de8da/002_Fix.html
Use the .wad of BackupLoader (or softchip, your choice)

You can not use the recovery menu without a GC pad.

Dutch: PS. Ken je de website http://www.wii-media.nl
Ikzelf vind GBAtemp beter maar die is wel in het nederlands.

-how does one add his own banner to a channel?
WADder Tools 1.0
-what's the whole autoboot thingy with the backup loaders?
You don't come in a menu when you start it (it autoboots the disc in the Wii)
-why would I want to force PAL - all my games are PAL anyway...
If you use a NTSC game...
-and what about the force PAL50 or PAL60, what's that? 60 Herz framerate, I'm quessing? Why would I want to force my TV to change framerate?
Maybe you have an old TV? It is 50 Hz and 60 HZ.
-what is the Hooktype and what does it do? the backup loader has it automatically set to GC Pad, what are the other options? Wii Pad and another thing...
dunno. Good question
rolleyes.gif

Arendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ah thank you very much
biggrin.gif

and er, to update both, could I run any specific mii channel or shop channel update? eg. Mii Channel Updater? or are there special methods I should know about?

and apart from the GC controller, what do I need/do to make my Wii recoverable from bricks.

I'm known with the PSP homebrew scene, they made a nice recovery tool which makes it possible to install any firmware. Something like that is not yet available for the Wii, but there is a general way to recover from most semi-bricks. How do I prepare for that, in case it might happen to me?

lourens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A nice, I also was from the PSP scene until I sold it for a Wii, ghehe.

To update your Mii Channel and Shop Channel look here:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Mii_Channel_Updater
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Shop_and_IOS51_installer (use tona's version and say yes to all)

To make your we recoverable from bricks (in Dutch):
http://www.wii-media.nl/forum.html?func=vi...=53&id=3353

PS if you don't have a GC pad, you can borrow one from a friend (if you have bricked).
YOU NEED STARFALL FOR ALMOST BRICK PROOF

There is coming a cSM (custom System Menu) with many futures, but still not fully brick proof.
The brick-proof device is BootMii what is being made by the Wii-Hack-God bushing.
though BootMii is not ready, yet.

Hkari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
> I downgraded from 3.4 to 3.2E... Do I need to update my shop and mii channel? and what happens if I don't and I try them, will they brick my Wii?

No, you won't brick. You should still update those channels if you plan on using them though. Someone else posted the fixes I think.

>how do I use the recovery menu without a classic GC controller? and how do I prepare my Wii to recover from a brick, or is having Starfall installed enough until the worst thing happens?

You can't use it if you don't have a Gamecube controller. You might with a modchip, but I don't have that so confirm with someone else.

>how does one add his own banner to a channel?
Look in the thread "WADder 1.0"

>what's the whole autoboot thingy with the backup loaders?
You only have to "start channel -> play game" as opposed to "start channel -> select «launch game» -> play game". It removes a step.

>why would I want to force PAL - all my games are PAL anyway...
If you want to play any NTSC games. Like Japan only games or games released in America way before Europe. It automatically does this so you don't have to select it from a menu every time.

>and what about the force PAL50 or PAL60, what's that? 60 Herz framerate, I'm quessing? Why would I want to force my TV to change framerate?

I'm not from Europe, so I may be wrong; but didn't older games us 50Hz framerates while new games use 60Hz framerates?

>what is the Hooktype and what does it do? the backup loader has it automatically set to GC Pad, what are the other options? Wii Pad and another thing...

Not sure. I think it has something to do with Ocarina working and certain games can only be booted from a certain type.

Arendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
for that almost prick proof stuff I need the twilight hack savegame, however, can I have that one on my wii as well as my own one - I'm still playing the game
tongue.gif

I
also, I had that shop installer once, but it told me to say no to the shop update... so that I only used it for the IOS51... so I'm guessing I only have to update the shop channel this time?

lourens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
the answer is....no.

I know it is difficult, but if you don't do anything crazy (installing WAD's, updating via DVD's or internet) just play. If you want to install something new, make sure to have the zelda hack!

Arendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the channel you gave me doesn't seem to have the 002 fix after all ... at least, my need for speed just gave me a 002 error, while it was doing great with the gamma...

where do I get the common-key.bin for WADder... got it!
tongue.gif
sorry, wasn't paying attention
tongue.gif

anyway, I'ma make a channel out of the Gamma002fix_r2 app, hopefully then my game works again ...

okay, so that WADder program is giving some sort of error... The first time I tried, I wasn't running it as admin - I'm on Vista :| - so it froze. The second time I was running it as admin, but it gave some error ... something with an undefined variable I believe ... and then some u8extractor popped up asking for a file ?? and when I canceled that it asked me where to save the .wad, so I canceled that too ... didn't trust the thing...

so what did I do wrong?

I filled everything in, I clicked create WAD and got an error? There don't seem to be any tutorials on the web for using WADder, except a small instruction at nintendo-scene.com, which I followed to the letter...

Third time goes better, but now I get the error: 'Component 'mscomctl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid'

Arendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I keep getting that same error:
'Component 'mscomctl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid'

Can someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong? (read previous post)

D

Deleted User

Well, can't help you about the wadder problem :/.

It is confirmed that if you have a modchip, you are banner-brick-proof. There's an autoboot wad manager here, and you need a modchip to run that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs