Gaming A couple of questions before modding a 360...

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Before purchasing my 360, I want to make sure I can mod it... so I have a couple questions.

-I think I remember reading that to flash your drive, it has to be before lot number 817... the Arcade I'm looking into buying is somewhere in the early 700's, so is that fine? I think the drive is Ben-Q
-What is a SATA card, and where is it located on the computer? How do I plug the 360 to it? Also, how do I know if my card is compatible with the 360?
-Is it hard/risky to flash my 360's drive? Is it basically just getting out the drive, connecting it to the computer, and then running some code? Is there a risk of bricking it or something?
-How do i know if my DVD burner has dual layer support and bitsetting (or whatever that was called...sorry, I forgot)

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
War said:
Before purchasing my 360, I want to make sure I can mod it... so I have a couple questions.

-I think I remember reading that to flash your drive, it has to be before lot number 817... the Arcade I'm looking into buying is somewhere in the early 700's, so is that fine? I think the drive is Ben-Q
-What is a SATA card, and where is it located on the computer? How do I plug the 360 to it? Also, how do I know if my card is compatible with the 360?
-Is it hard/risky to flash my 360's drive? Is it basically just getting out the drive, connecting it to the computer, and then running some code? Is there a risk of bricking it or something?
-How do i know if my DVD burner has dual layer support and bitsetting (or whatever that was called...sorry, I forgot)

Anything in the 700 range will be fine.

This is a sata card http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Expansion-VIA...t/dp/B000S87GG0. It's just a card with Sata ports on. Just unplug the sata cable from the drive and plug it into one of the available ports. If your motherboard is recent it might have ports built in. As for compatibility , for a ben-Q you want either a nforce 4 sata controller or a via one.

Not hard , you can follow step by steps guides if you want , like this one here http://www.360mods.net/Downloads/details/id=61.html + you can always ask here if you get stuck. It's basically dump firmware , run batch to make hacked firmware , flash hacked firmware. Risk with a ben-Q is minimal , long as you make sure your original dump is good and contains your key , then not much can go wrong.

Burner , either look up the model , or something like imgburn will tell you (right click drive , then capabilities).

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Thank you for your answer. So basically, this 360 can be flashed, it's just up to me.

About the Sata card, do I have to buy one? I was under the impression that there was one inside my computer or something? Or do I have to buy a new one, install it to my PC, then plug the 360 to it?

And for the DL compatibility, I couldn't find that option in ImgBurn... can you tell me exactly how to access it? Thanks!

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whether you have to buy an sata card depends on your motherboard. It might have Sata ports onboard , but unless it's a via or nforce controller , then you'll want to buy the card anyway.

Imgburn select your burner in the drop down box. Right click it on , then capabilities , then a box will pop up showing what it's capable of reading and writing.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Where is the motherboard of the computer located at? Cause I want to know if I'm gonna have to open it up to get to the SATA ports. Also, if my motherboard doesn't have any SATA ports, does that mean I have to buy a new SATA card and install that so I can hook up the 360 to it? I hope not, cause that sounds like a lot of work lol.

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
War said:
Where is the motherboard of the computer located at? Cause I want to know if I'm gonna have to open it up to get to the SATA ports. Also, if my motherboard doesn't have any SATA ports, does that mean I have to buy a new SATA card and install that so I can hook up the 360 to it? I hope not, cause that sounds like a lot of work lol.

The required SATA card costs about 10 dollars from NewEgg, it's not much of a big deal to install, you just have to pop it into one of your computer's PCI slots.

http://www.360mods.net/Forums/viewtopic/t=155.html

It's really a good idea to read through all the steps involved before getting in over your head: http://www.360mods.net/Downloads/details/id=61.html

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
sjones411 said:
War said:

The required SATA card costs about 10 dollars from NewEgg, it's not much of a big deal to install, you just have to pop it into one of your computer's PCI slots.

It's really a good idea to read through all the steps involved before getting in over your head: http://www.360mods.net/Downloads/details/id=61.html
Doesn't this or this work?

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Well, good news for me... I found out my DVD burner supports DVD-R/+R DL! This is great... I was really fearful that my drive wouldn't support DL @_@

Still very confused on how to plug the 360 to the computer. I know I need some sort of cable to hook up the 360 to the SATA card, which has to be plugged in to my computer's PCI slot...? Am I right so far? I really need a diagram of all this to see where it's located...

Btw Prime, I really don't find this funny :\ I'm totally inept when it comes to computers, and I'm sorry if I sound like a n00b, but that's what I am when it comes to computers. :\ Instead of laughing at me, can't you help me out?

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Armadillo said:
No , both of them are just brackets to convert your internal sata ports to external ones.

If your motherboard has a compatible onboard chipset then you can use those things too. I use mine to keep from having to open my PC case whenever i flash 360s.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
War said:
Still very confused on how to plug the 360 to the computer. I know I need some sort of cable to hook up the 360 to the SATA card, which has to be plugged in to my computer's PCI slot...? Am I right so far? I really need a diagram of all this to see where it's located...

You just hook the 360 drive up using a standard sata cable , that's it. If you're using an sata card , fit the card , install drivers , then 360 just plugs into one of the available sata ports , if you've got a compatible sata chipset onboard , then 360 straight into one of the sata ports.

Can't really simplify it more than 360->sata port.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Does the SATA cable come with the 360, or do I have to buy that too? I know it's simple, i just ddon't get where everything is located. I don't know where my SATA card is, or even if mine is compatible with the 360 :\ I'm sorry for all the questions, I just really want this done. I have the DVDs ready, the burner ready, and I'm gonna get the console soon...

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You'll have to get your own cable , if you buy an sata card it might come with one , if not you'll have to buy one. If your motherboard has onboard sata , it won't be a card , you'll just have some sata ports on the board somewhere. If you're not sure , post motherboard model or model of pc and someone will be able to tell you if you have onboard sata and if it's a compatible chipset.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sjones411 said:
War said:

1) open 360
2) open pc
3) connect 360 drive to sata port (either to a pci sata card you bought or your mobo if it's compatible) with a sata cable (most of the time if you buy the card it'll have one included)
4) ???
5) profit!

read through the pdf sjones411 posted above fuck

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Armadillo said:
You'll have to get your own cable , if you buy an sata card it might come with one , if not you'll have to buy one. If your motherboard has onboard sata , it won't be a card , you'll just have some sata ports on the board somewhere. If you're not sure , post motherboard model or model of pc and someone will be able to tell you if you have onboard sata and if it's a compatible chipset.
Okay, sounds good. How can I find out my motherboard model or PC model?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative