A Couple of Android Questions

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to have different notification sounds with android? I don't know what's what with it sometimes, whether it's email or text. I know ring has a different sound, but I don't know how. also, is there a reliable way to block ads on temp? ads always screw me up when typing as one causes me to cancel out of the box, then click on the ad, deleting my message. I don't know if there's a way to use an addon with chrome, will I have to use its own ad blocker app? I remember having to do that before.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand the first sentence, are you referring to using multiple notifications? I can't seem to find this setting. also, ad blocker -- does that require opening up an ad blocker app or can I download that through chrome and use the chrome icon to get online with ads blocked?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on android, I'm not sure. I've never seen it before. I'm using android 11, so I don't know where it would be.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is there a way to have different notification sounds with android? I don't know what's what with it sometimes, whether it's email or text. I know ring has a different sound, but I don't know how. also, is there a reliable way to block ads on temp? ads always screw me up when typing as one causes me to cancel out of the box, then click on the ad, deleting my message. I don't know if there's a way to use an addon with chrome, will I have to use its own ad blocker app? I remember having to do that before.
I use Samsung Internet Browser (can be downloaded from the play store for phones that are not Samsung. Blocks all adverts on the temp perfectly.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Samsung Internet Browser (can be downloaded from the play store for phones that are not Samsung. Blocks all adverts on the temp perfectly.
I managed to get that work, but I had to download an extension. is there a way to import passwords and stuff from chrome?

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrome for Android does not have extension support but Firefox does, and the uBlock Origin add-on is excellent. I'd personally go that route over the Samsung browser. You cannot import bookmarks/passwords directly on mobile but you can work around that on a desktop/laptop. Use Firefox desktop to import your bookmarks/passwords from Chrome, then enable Firefox's sync feature. Then you can sync desktop with mobile. Voila. You now have Firefox Android with all of your Chrome bookmarks/passwords, and an ad free experience.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
You can block ads on Chrome by using a VPN-based ad blocker, like AdGuard. (Note: this isn't an actual VPN, it just acts like one locally on your device to filter web requests.)
To set a unique notification sound for an app, go to Settings -> Apps -> All Apps -> Select your app -> Notifcations -> Select the appropriate notification channel -> Sound.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
You don't have setting on your android? weird. on the 3 dots on Chrome, then scroll down to Extensions. you should find the app there
Chrome doesn't support extensions on mobile.

Reactions: AncientBoi

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can block ads on Chrome by using a VPN-based ad blocker, like AdGuard. (Note: this isn't an actual VPN, it just acts like one locally on your device to filter web requests.)
To set a unique notification sound for an app, go to Settings -> Apps -> All Apps -> Select your app -> Notifcations -> Select the appropriate notification channel -> Sound.
I have my app open, and it says, "show messages, foreground syncs, general notifications, new messages, app icon badges, in-app notification settings, 2 categories deleted."

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I have my app open, and it says, "show messages, foreground syncs, general notifications, new messages, app icon badges, in-app notification settings, 2 categories deleted."
Can you send me a screenshot? What I said applies to stock Android, but your manufacturer may have customised the menu.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What smileyhead said, and I'd really recommend avoiding Firefox on Android if you care about security. It sucks, but Chromium base is the way to go for now.

Bromite is probably your best bet right now, although it has had an unfortunate tendency of lagging behind on updates in recent months which is... not ideal, from a security point of view. It has built-in ad blocking which might be enough for you though.

Your browser is *the* biggest attack surface on any of your devices nowadays, I can't stress enough the fact that people shouldn't skimp out on security when it comes to it.

• Haha
Reactions: Stone_Wings

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you use Samsung's browser? Just because it blocks ads? Others can do that too. Brave, for example.

I have a Samsung phone and tablet and I uninstall all of their shitware since I want nothing to do with it.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
alright, I found it, but I bought some star trek sound effects, how do I change to one of those, since they're not default?
Copy the sound effect to your Notifications folder (it should be in the root directory of your SD card or internal storage), and then it should show up in the selector.
If you don't have a file explorer on your phone, do it from a PC over a USB connection.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs