A buggy new update to The Sims is making characters age rapidly and incestuous

The Sims 4 has just released a new update ahead of the release of its upcoming High School Years expansion, and it's led to some unfortunate bugs. For example, one bug is making characters rapidly age and die well before their time, such as this reddit post where a Sim's mother died in the middle of her wedding. Apparently, loading into "live mode" from a menu or character customizer adds a random amount of age to Sims, essentially making their deaths random.

The most notable bug, however, relates to the new "Fears & Wants" system, where a Sim will randomly feel an impulse for something based on the way they've been played to this point, and the player can choose to indulge or deny the Sim that desire. Romantic options are a big emphasis of this new update, meaning many desires revolve around them, and may include wanting to ask out a friend, get married, or have a child. Unfortunately, the system doesn't seem to distinguish between "friends" and "family members who are also friends" in any way, leading to a number of situations where Sims have been overwhelmed with a desire to date their family. I'm particularly a fan of this post on reddit where a grandmother Sim feels a want to date her son, and looks appropriately horrified at her own desires.

There's been a few other bugs as well, such as this one where anyone who interacts with a 5-star celebrity immediately becomes a 5-star celebrity as well. Luckily, a SIms developer on Twitter has acknowledged at least the rapid aging and incest bugs, and are looking to get it fixed as soon as possible.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The woke desperation reeks all over the trailer, we're doomed as humanity. Before things were getting bad bit by bit from century to century now it's literally on yearly basis. What's gonna be next, pedos are ok, sex with animals, sex dolls characters, pregnant men?
legit there will just be a bug in a video game and people will just go "WAHHHHHHHH TRANS PEOPLE"

Anyways this is actually why I hate games as a service, especially in a game with so many variables like the Sims. Shit breaks waaaaaaaaay too god damn quick, I preferred the older days where there weren't fifty bajillion patches coming out every week to always fuck with your game.

KitChan

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
As an outsider who hasn't played the Sims myself, this sounds like the sort of shenanigans I'd expect to hear in a headline about the Sims.

Sure is nice of EA to surprise drop a Middle Ages expansion ahead of the High School Years expansion.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
That I can make a very, very old and tired joke about what a horrible story Twilight is?

Yeah, I guess I do like the classics. Forgive my lack of personal shame over your lack of a sense of humor.
Granny getting the hots for her grandson is still not quite as bad as bestiality or ephebophiliac necrophilia, which are Bella's two romantic options.

Tell me I am wrong.

Still a better love story than Twilight.

"Mother, you imprinted on my son?"

"That's not quite so bad" - Neo Draven

• Haha
Reactions: CraddaPoosta

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Mother, you imprinted on my son?"

"That's not quite so bad" - Neo Draven
"Sir? You're 200 years old, trying to bang a teenager?"

"That's pretty awful" - Neo Draven

"Down boy! DOWN BOY! GET OFF OF THAT LADY, you, there, the actual WOLF man."

"That's not so swell, either" - Neo Draven

-

"Granny, maybe you should kiss your grandson" - Fixable glitch in a game that will certainly be patched, featuring a horrified grandmother who totally is not about that life.

"That's a lot better than someone who actually wrote a series of novels about an awkward teenaged girl's romantic choice between a man who is older than everyone alive and is technically a walking corpse, or a canine-influenced individual who is LITERALLY a dog person." - Neo Draven

Also, "This is just an old joke. You ruined it. It's ruined now. Please get a sense of humor." - Neo Draven

Cheers

Last edited by CraddaPoosta,

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we have less insecurity and more discussion about the bug? How the hell does something like this even pass QA? I know the sims is huge, but surely they tested marriage with the new sexuality changes??
Insecurity?

I strongly urge you to ignore my posts. Make it easier on yourself.

Projection and attention-seeking on a gaming forum is never a good look, sir. Are you THAT much a fan of Twilight? Which has objectively far more offensive material than a GLITCH that will be fixed?

Or can you just not resist virtue signaling at every opportunity?

Ignore me. Please. Make your life easier.

KitChan

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm more concerned about my fellow Tempers in this thread than the bug.
Screenshot 2022-08-01 163024.png

Tapri

Forum Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we have less insecurity and more discussion about the bug? How the hell does something like this even pass QA? I know the sims is huge, but surely they tested marriage with the new sexuality changes??
Oh sweetheart, this is a goldmine of memes that's going to stick around for a while.

But per request, you'd be surprised at how often things change between development builds and release builds. There's probably a file that didn't get pushed properly with the release that adjusts the AI behavior that was present on the dev build, or their QA team isn't wide enough that it's able to catch bugs like this.

Odds are they're using 3rd party QA teams that focus on submitting a certain number of bugs per day/week regardless of the actual quality assurance testing they're supposed to be doing, so stuff like this may have gotten lost in the mix of internal bug reports.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh sweetheart, this is a goldmine of memes that's going to stick around for a while.

But per request, you'd be surprised at how often things change between development builds and release builds. There's probably a file that didn't get pushed properly with the release that adjusts the AI behavior that was present on the dev build, or their QA team isn't wide enough that it's able to catch bugs like this.

Odds are they're using 3rd party QA teams that focus on submitting a certain number of bugs per day/week regardless of the actual quality assurance testing they're supposed to be doing, so stuff like this may have gotten lost in the mix of internal bug reports.
Oh no it's not the memes I'm talking about, people who were mad about an objectively harmless sexuality and gender identity update are now whining about it over something unrelated to it lmao

But for real, people in QA companies sometimes have bug quotas?? That's like, literally the stupidest fucking shit ever. That's just ASKING for people to look for the most harmless shit and ignore the big stuff.

Tapri

Forum Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no it's not the memes I'm talking about, people who were mad about an objectively harmless sexuality and gender identity update are now whining about it over something unrelated to it lmao

But for real, people in QA companies sometimes have bug quotas?? That's like, literally the stupidest fucking shit ever. That's just ASKING for people to look for the most harmless shit and ignore the big stuff.
Afaik it depends on the company as to the rules set, but there have been some in the past that work that way.

The other thing about it is that even in QA, there are always going to be people who find new and inventive ways to break the game in some fashion. There are people in WoW that intentionally look for this stuff to one shot raid bosses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F