RELEASE 90DNS: DNS server for blocking all Nintendo Servers

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by AveSatanas, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    Hm.. I am selfhosting my own DNS solution and my connection test fails. Not entirely sure if it should fail or not with 90dns.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

2. Clockdryve

Clockdryve Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2019
    United States
    I'm reading that 90DNS will not work with HBG from a few sources (and the "shop" Tinfoil Software download site says not compatible) - but I've been using it for couple months anytime I choose. 6.2.0 AutoRCM 0.8.5 Hekate Payload. **My connection test also fails** I was questioning IF able to "self test" with the 90DNS but we were not on same situation cause I misrepresented correct "SHOP" ideas.

Maybe it's just the Newest Software and Switch Firmware Updates that are not compatible 90DNS with hbg/shop. Only thing I can figure.

Last edited by Clockdryve, Jun 2, 2019
  3. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    Due to how /hbg/shop, startgate etc work they have some issues with 90dns.

4. Haaris

Haaris Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Im using incognito now its working

5. MyconMama

MyconMama Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Would just like to confirm for the vitriolic doubters in the thread that 90DNS has been adequate to protect my Switch from accessing Ninty's servers and getting a ban for the last 10 months. I just made an EmuMMC from my dirty CFW SysNAND with many installed NSPs, which I had used extensively online with homebrew with only 90DNS for protection, and upon restoring my clean RawNAND to SysNAND and booting OFW normally I was able to access the eShop and play online unrestricted. FWIW prior to RawNAND backup and after restoring it, I had also used 90DNS on my OFW SysNAND, and this did not attract Ninty's attention and get me a ban, despite it probably being logged.

Many thanks to AveSatanas for her amazing work. <3

Last edited by MyconMama, Jul 10, 2019
    metaljay, Bst22322, SaffronXL and 4 others like this.
  6. Important Posts Poll about public statistics
    AveSatanas
    OP

AveSatanas GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2018
    United States
    Hello! I created a twitter poll related to 90dns, please check it out.

Note: More information is in the twitter thread, if you're going to screenshot something, screenshot the whole thread, not just this post or the top tweet.

Link:

shchmue, Jonhy and hippy dave like this.
  7. tivanh

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Unless its secret squirrel business, please explain for the non laymen, what prevents the interactions and why was it needed to be implemented into the code.

You dont need to be a astrolevel to grasp the reasoning behind methods, just the intricate details in the method.

This smells of don't use this, just trust me bias, just like other great projects including incognito suffered because the community loved its developer ada over an open piracy author who did incognito.

We are not here for your opinion or moral sway. Correct unbias fact on the scene is what most want.

Like flagged prodinf editing, we dont need to be incapacitated by justice warriors. Let each man choose how he uses the tool you initiated.

Last edited by tivanh, Jul 13, 2019
  8. tivanh

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    We cant let man have the wheel cause some might want to build tanks with them....

9. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    ...crikey.

It's been discussed, maybe in this thread, it's not a secret. If you use the 90DNS server based in Europe, and connect to a Google drive (like the various DZ incarnations do), then Google thinks you're connecting from Europe and gives you a European server. If you're in the US or wherever else, this might give you slower download speeds than connecting without 90DNS.

There's apparently a 90DNS server hosted by someone else in the US, or you can host your own locally for your own private use.

SaffronXL and Adran_Marit like this.
  10. Adran_Marit

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    One of the issues I have talked to Blawar/Vertigo about is DZ/tinfoil/Lithium grabs the title images from Nintendo, given 90dns blocks servers it creates an error of getting the images. There might be more I don't know about.

also the 90dns server I host is from Oceania

hippy dave likes this.
  11. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Oh cool my bad. And good info.

12. Adran_Marit

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    your info on it connecting to eur may be true as well, I'm not sure on that. Also not sure where ave hosts the primary lol

13. gizmomelb

gizmomelb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 13, 2006
    Australia
    yeah it would be good if NUT server (which also grabs the images from Nintendo) could serve the images to Tinfoil / Lithium

14. SlickG

SlickG Newbie

Newcomer
    Tuesday
    Germany
    Is there any chance to get the let's sing mic app to work with the switch on cfw? i hoped that it*ll work with 90dns, but still the app does not recognize my switch (beeing connected to the same wifi network).