6.39 VSH Menu crashes

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Neo Draven, Nov 15, 2011.

Nov 15, 2011

6.39 VSH Menu crashes by Neo Draven at 8:26 PM (2,024 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Neo Draven
    OP

Member Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

United States
    I just updated to CFW 6.39, and before then, I was using the Ultimate VSH Menu plugin. Now, whenever I try to press select, it shows the Ultimate VSH Menu, but when I close it, up pops the 6.39 VSH Menu, which freezes, then crashes my PSP.

I have already tried deleting the vshmenu.prx, I have tried disabling it, I have tried using the Ultimate VSH Menu Installer to uninstall it... everything I can think of.

Does anyone know how to get it back to just the 6.39 VSH Menu?

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Memory Stick --> seplugins --> VSH.txt --> turn off all plugins manually --> Retry

If it doesn't "hang", then turn plugins one by one. Once you find the one that causes freezing, delete it.

EDIT: I just read that you've (most likely) installed it directly onto flash, hmm? Well that's a mind bender, I would've assumed that vshmenu.prx would be updated automatically once you update CFW...

3. Neo Draven
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I think I had actually written it to flash when I went to 5.50 GEN. The other plugins I have are macrofire, cwcheat and pspstates, so it's really rather minimal. Would flashing my Flash1 fix it?

4. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Well, look through your flash for anything unusual. I THINK you should be perfectly capable of just disabling the plugin if it's still there. If you can't locate it... If you have a backup of Flash0 and Flash1, it'd be the time to pull it out. If you don't...

You could try uninstalling CFW altogether and re-installing it "from scratch" first, but keep in mind that you'll have to get rid of cipl flash before you do that, otherwise you'll end up with a Full Brick (provided you used it). As far as I know, CFW installation gets rid of all CFW-related trash.

If nothing else helps though, if you have a Pandora and you have no better idea than go for it - I can't see why not.

EDIT: Hey, I just figured something... shouldn't you be able to enter Recovery Mode to get to the stock VSH by holding the R trigger while turning on the PSP? There you should be able to turn off VSH plugins aswell.

5. Neo Draven
    OP

United States
    Yup. Tried that. I tried editing them with Notepad, I tried disabling all plugins, I tried enabling only the vshmenu.prx, I tried going into the Configuration in Recovery Mode and both Disabling and Enabling the VSH Menu... nothing is working so far.

I'm thinking Pandora is going to be my best option. Luckily I have a couple of batteries I can use. But, I thought that upgrading from 5.50 GEN to 6.39 would do the trick. Yar.

6. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I would've thought the same thing - that's some wicked hard-to-pluck plugin you've got there.

The only "other" option then would be to manually look for the plugin in f0:\kd, removing it, decoding the plugin list file (completely forgot the name, it's googlable though), encoding it again and putting it back to "see what happens". You're going Pandora on this baby anyways.

I'm relatively new to PSP stuff though, so it'd be best if someone more experienced, like Rydian tries to help you out. I'm afraid this is beyond my current knowledge.

7. Neo Draven
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I have the technical prowess to do pretty much everything I need to. I got my first PSP in July of 2005, and it was still on FW 1.5. Never had a single brick, even before there were unbrickers. I just don't want to waste more time on this than I have to.

8. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    You used a seemingly unsupported flash0 modifier/installer for a plugin that isn't compatible on 6.39 and expected things to just work?

Fastest fix is just updating to 6.60 and using 6.60 PRO and the CIPL

9. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    That's not what he did. The plugin is a left-over from his previous CFW, and installing 6.60 won't help in the slightest in his scenario.

10. xist

United Kingdom
    In which case there's a hardware issue as updating from 5.50 with Ult.VSH Menu installed to 6.39 would erase the flash0 modifications.

flash0 is "reset" following a FW update and flash1 is irrelevant in most cases for PSP issues.

11. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Would, but apparently didn't. Unless the OP is lying, which would be rather pointless, the plugin is not located on the Memory Stick. Thus, it has to be in Flash, and that means it's most likely Flash0, since that's where most people put Plugins... and it still boots up.

It doesn't take a Sherlock to assume that the file was simply read/write-protected and the update "spared" it.

Besides, isn't PRO an LCFW now? These only install themselves over the existing OFW, not "flash" the entire chip.

12. realveemon

Member realveemon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Use hellcat to downgrade to a clean version of 5.00 then upgrade to 6.60 followed by a PRO-B10 install with CIPL flash.. Thats what the softmod sticky is for

13. Neo Draven
    OP

United States
    I wasn't asking about how to perform a softmod, realveemon. I had a specific plugin issue, related to a specific firmware. I thought that, perhaps, someone had gone the same route of upgrading that I had, and had run into a similar problem. If you notice, I had mentioned that I was more looking for a less complicated fix, if one were available. Thanks ever so much for your caring and courteous response, though.

Thanks again, Foxi4.

14. xist

United Kingdom
    5.50 PRO? Revelation? 5.50 GEN to 6.39 OFW is a fresh installation, hence clean flash0. In this instance on a fully flashable model there's no real reason not to update to 6.60 and permanently flash PRO with the cIPL.

15. realveemon

Member realveemon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sorry... What i meant by that was others that have problems due to flash0 was similar to your own... because you updated to 6.39 and the ultimate vsh menu was still active led me to believe (like a few others) that your flash0 is not completely clean.. therefore a clean OFW version of 5.00 then upgrade back would of removed all traces of Ultimate VSH...

It wasn't a mis-understanding of the question... Just saying a clean install with a fresh flash0 would solve what you want... The other plugins seem to be fine if its a few.... Just make sure the plugins are the 6.XX compatible

16. Neo Draven
    OP

United States
    You were dead on. Not only did this fix the VSH Menu issue, but THUGR2 is working again, as is my SNES emulator. Thanks!