Hacking 6.2.0 Key Generation could (POSSIBLY) be UNCRACKABLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st... i thought the xploit thru the cpu that was discoverd last year was unpatchable (unless hardware revision).
and now everything is blocked?

2nd... i didnt see sciresM mentioned that its "possibly UNCRAKABLE". He only says he's impressed with the new security measures, maybe its hard for devs to crack it, but its not "possibly UNCRAKABLE".
From what I understand: The Switch has a security coprocessor (TSEC) which until now has been pretty much unused by Nintendo. Now Nintendo is using the TSEC to handle key generation. We have access to the main CPU, and can forever run our own code without touching the Switch OS. However to run CFW and pirate games, we need to be able to get the master keys, which is no longer possible until a vulnerability is found in the coprocessor / the code it runs.

SageIsSerious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand: The Switch has a security coprocessor (TSEC) which until now has been pretty much unused by Nintendo. Now Nintendo is using the TSEC to handle key generation. We have access to the main CPU, and can forever run our own code without touching the Switch OS. However to run CFW and pirate games, we need to be able to get the master keys, which is no longer possible until a vulnerability is found in the coprocessor / the code it runs.

The TSEC was being used for other things like AES, now it has an added role of handling the decryption keys internally.

palantine

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can downgrade to a previous firmware using RCM but you must have boot0/boot1/Nand and biskeys. It may be possible to downgrade to a lower firmware if you didn't make backups but this would require creating a custom donor nand image.

It may be possible to take the console specific values from your updated 6.2 nand, pull those out and combine them with someone else's 6.0 image. No guarantees though.

Reactions: The_Green_Nerd

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Smash won't include 6.2.0. The game has gone gold a while ago, which means production has been well underway before 6.2.0 released, so it's impossible for it to come with it or require it. Hell, even Pokemon doesn't require 6.0.0 or 6.1.0, it requires 5.1.0.

As for 2019 games, I am 100% certain 6.2.0 will be cracked long before the first game releases. Unfortunately for Nintendo, pirates having hardware access means there is nothing long term they can do.

Hoping you're right and they don't intentionally make it a requirement. I can wait for every other game after smash and don't think we'll see another notable title for a while until April-June time. I assumed it was intentional for Smash to ruin it for pirates. You're probably right though... I hope...

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are u sure everything is the Xbox One hacked yet.

And if the wait is 5 years then by then people will move on lol

Xbox One is still a console that makes new games. I still think it'll get cracked eventually. Some say there's not as much interest from the hacking community in cracking XB1 because you can get practically every game on PC. Not sure if I buy that completely, but I could see it taking resources away from trying to hack it.

I don't move on from consoles ever (unless they become backwards compatible). But other than your opinion and the OPs there's nothing officially saying this is unhackable. Hard to hack, yes. Some said the same thing on many of the 3ds firmwares and they were wrong.

Last edited by ,

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how feasible is an actual switch cfw? i wonder if theres a way to ignore the TSEC again and more less tell the OS the old keys are new keys.

Frank1905

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You simply need to remember not to put your Switch on sleep mode accidentally while you are playing...

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

Aniblaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sounds like this is unhackable. Oh well it was good while it lasted.
I thought the same. People on this subforum talk pretty big with 'it will only be a couple of days to crack, tops', but what they're essentially saying is 'it will only be a couple of days until a couple of developers exploit the processor developed by NVidia, explicitely for security purposes, in the spare time that they have'. What hubris you guys. The RCM exploit might have been a fault they overlooked, but if you think this will be fixed in a couple of days, you are dreaming. NVidia developed that processing unit specifically for security. You think an exploit for something like that will just happen in a couple of days? Userland exploits are far more likely right now.

Reactions: ZachyCatGames
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @Sonic Angel Knight :bortz2: