Hacking 4.2e update bootmii still installed

ryu00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi, just a few questions/queries

1. ive only just done the 4.2e update from 3.2e using the soft mod guide, everything seems okay, but from what ive been reading it supposedly wipes bootmii from boot2 and you have to do a reinstall.

im on boot2v2 after the update it appears bootmii is still installed? i can still use it. i ran hackmii again to install the hbc again, and there is the option to install and install bootmii, do i need to run the install again? and if not, out of curiosity do you have to uninstall before you install it again, or can you install again if its already installed?

2. i did a nand backup on 3.2e, do i need to do another nand backup on 4.2e?

3. i installed starfall a few years ago, do i need to uninstall this? can it be left installed? or did it get unintalled auto with the 4.2e?

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) 4.2 was just a 'Beta' release 2 wipe out some hacks!

2) Not if u plan on keeping SM 4.2 as ur main SM then no, but u should if the update u performed is the 1 u want 2 keep then yes u should!!

3) Ya u should just reinstall it (I'm not entirely sure if Starfall was wiped out or not by 4.2)

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ryu00 said:
hi, just a few questions/queries

1. ive only just done the 4.2e update from 3.2e using the soft mod guide, everything seems okay, but from what ive been reading it supposedly wipes bootmii from boot2 and you have to do a reinstall.

im on boot2v2 after the update it appears bootmii is still installed? i can still use it. i ran hackmii again to install the hbc again, and there is the option to install and install bootmii, do i need to run the install again? and if not, out of curiosity do you have to uninstall before you install it again, or can you install again if its already installed?

2. i did a nand backup on 3.2e, do i need to do another nand backup on 4.2e?

3. i installed starfall a few years ago, do i need to uninstall this? can it be left installed? or did it get unintalled auto with the 4.2e?

Don't listen to dnangel - his information is inaccurate.

Here are some better informed answers to your questions:

1. If you used xzxero's guide to softmod your wii, then you manually installed all the 4.2 IOS's and system menu 4.2. Doing the update this way (as opposed to a nintendo official update) avoids the update from boot2v2 to boot2v4. That is why you still have your old boot2v2 and why bootmii is still installed. If you are running the latest version of the hackmii installer, it does have updates for both the HBC and for bootmii, so I would suggest that you update both so that you have the latest versions.

I have no idea why dnangel thinks that system menu 4.2 was a "beta" release.

2. I would recommend that you do a backup of your 4.2e nand so that you can restore in the unlikely event that something goes wrong. I always make a new NAND backup before & after I make any major change to my wii (i.e. system menu update, ios install, etc)

3. Starfall is an old and outdated predecessor to priiloader. When you installed system menu 4.2, the files for starfall were overwritten so it was uninstalled. If you want something similar/better than starfall, install priiloader. The complete softmod guide and xzxero's guide can provide more information on this.

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xfcrowman said:
Don't listen to dnangel - his information is inaccurate.

Here are some better informed answers to your questions:

1. If you used xzxero's guide to softmod your wii, then you manually installed all the 4.2 IOS's and system menu 4.2. Doing the update this way (as opposed to a nintendo official update) avoids the update from boot2v2 to boot2v4. That is why you still have your old boot2v2 and why bootmii is still installed. If you are running the latest version of the hackmii installer, it does have updates for both the HBC and for bootmii, so I would suggest that you update both so that you have the latest versions.

I have no idea why dnangel thinks that system menu 4.2 was a "beta" release.

2. I would recommend that you do a backup of your 4.2e nand so that you can restore in the unlikely event that something goes wrong. I always make a new NAND backup before & after I make any major change to my wii (i.e. system menu update, ios install, etc)

3. Starfall is an old and outdated predecessor to priiloader. When you installed system menu 4.2, the files for starfall were overwritten so it was uninstalled. If you want something similar/better than starfall, install priiloader. The complete softmod guide and xzxero's guide can provide more information on this.
i can second that this info is the accurate one
smile.gif
manually installing the system menu bypasses the boot2 update, which keeps bootmii and is also a lot less likely to brick you.
personally I do a nand backup before any major IOS changes and before installing anything untested. only takes a few minutes and I can just move it to my PC. no reason not to.
and of course priiloader is amazing
biggrin.gif

ryu00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
perfect xfc and bwillb, yes angels answers didnt really address my questions but you have answered them for me.

ive been out of the loop and not touched my wii since all these ios updating, patchmii etc have been released and im a little curious to what all these things are, what order things need to be installed and what can and cannot brick your wii etc

i do have one of the early model wii's and ive installed patchmii to boot2 and hbc from the latest 0.8hackmii installer, is that pretty much brick proof as far as always being able to just replace the nand with one of my backups if something was to go wrong?

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ryu00 said:
perfect xfc and bwillb, yes angels answers didnt really address my questions but you have answered them for me.

ive been out of the loop and not touched my wii since all these ios updating, patchmii etc have been released and im a little curious to what all these things are, what order things need to be installed and what can and cannot brick your wii etc

i do have one of the early model wii's and ive installed patchmii to boot2 and hbc from the latest 0.8hackmii installer, is that pretty much brick proof as far as always being able to just replace the nand with one of my backups if something was to go wrong?

By "patchmii" I think you actually mean bootmii?

You are correct - when bootmii is installed in boot2 it is very difficult (but not impossible) to brick your wii. The reason why bootmii as boot2 protects your wii is because boot2 is loaded before IOS/system menu. Therefore, if you do something to brick your wii (i.e. uninstall the system menu), you can still recover because bootmii loads before IOS/SM. You can either restore a NAND backup, or access the HBC (as long as the IOS it runs off of is still there). The only way to brick with bootmii/boot2 is if you mess up boot2 somehow.

When softmodding any wii, I suggest that the 1st step should always be to use the hackmii installer to install the HBC and bootmii, as you have already done. It seems that you also have at least one nand backup - this is good because it allows you to easily restore your nand back to normal if something goes wrong.

I recommend that you use the complete softmod guide to finish modding your wii. There you can read the details on any apps that can be used to softmod a wii (e.g. dop-mii, trucha bug restorer etc) and you can follow the guide posted there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Karens, inbreds, MAGAs, severely mentally ill and not taking their medications, etc.
    +1
    300 lb toothless women in bikinis. You name it, it's available at Walmart. lolol
    +1
    I do most of my grocery shopping there
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [looks at what you just said, and then looks at you] :O:ohnoes::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
    Most Walmart shoppers don't go to Target because they're too triggered over displays of things they won't be buying anyway.
    +1
    I am not a karen, i am not maga, not severely mentally ill and not on meds, not 300 lbs, not missing all of my teeth, dont wear a bikini. Soooo. okay?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean if saving $2 on milk is saving $2 I'm buying it at Walmart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I go in don't cause a fuss and leave usually no problems
    :unsure::unsure::unsure::O:ohnoes: [goes to take my meds] :shy:
    A million and one things in this world catered to straight men and women. God forbid there's a display for lgbtq merch. How about walking past it if a person is not interested? Uh uh!!! Better watch out for those Satanic rainbows!!! lmao. MAGA crack me up.
    +1
    Right. I save $ getting grocers at walmart. So I continue to go.
    $2 on milk is great, imagine how much is saved when getting an entire cartful... vs the prices at my local ripoff grocery store.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Though I've been going to Aldis more often better lunch meat
    +2
    Is it worth it Gas wise? Length of travel.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    lgbqt products
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got 3 stores all within half a mile and a gas station in that same area so it's worth it
    +1
    LGBTQIA+ Products :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not the gay ride lunch meat :ohnoes:
    Walmart is an 60 mile round trip for me, and yes, I still spend less even after the gas cost. :) I dont go there just for milk. I do 2 big hauls a month, fill the cart up.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay Ride™ at a Walmart near you
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lol GBAtemp mentioned in the latest Bringus Studios video
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    never heard of that developer
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, was my anti hate trolling shitbox messages recorded
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @Sicklyboy, was my anti hate trolling shitbox messages recorded