Matt Cese

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skedone said:
latest studys show that the loss of sales amounts to 0.01 % buy the way

QUOTE(choupette @ Oct 8 2008, 04:17 PM) latest studys show that the loss of sales amounts to 99.9 % buy the way

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

Latest studIES show that only 33 percent of people can spell properly, bY the way.
smile.gif

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Matt Cese said:
skedone said:
latest studys show that the loss of sales amounts to 0.01 % buy the way

QUOTE(choupette @ Oct 8 2008, 04:17 PM) latest studys show that the loss of sales amounts to 99.9 % buy the way

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

Latest studIES show that only 33 percent of people can spell properly, bY the way.
smile.gif
is that just on GBATEMP?
tongue.gif

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry i spelt a word wrong how dare i and yes that was a real studies you should try reading once in a wile i can give the source of the studies if you like

some people think they know everything you might want to check my sig and find out where it comes from before we get into this debate

Matt Cese

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skedone said:
sorry i spelt a word wrong how dare i and yes that was a real studies you should try reading once in a wile i can give the source of the studies if you like

some people think they know everything you might want to check my sig and find out where it comes from before we get into this debate

I'm more interested in studies about the 3x drive problem. Do you have any on that?

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Matt Cese said:
skedone said:

I'm more interested in studies about the 3x drive problem. Do you have any on that?
YMMD.

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
marcan said:
MrBubbles said:
tldr; Wanikonko is in the wrong and is obviously a thief from your statements, but you guys are arrogant asses as well.
Actually, I never said Waninkoko stole anything regarding the isoloader. There is a dispute regarding certain patches that popped up in cIOS days after we released PatchMii (in exactly the same way), and he also took some code without realizing it once, then took down that app after I let him know. He's not the type to violate licenses blatantly and steal credit for everything, although there have been a few instances of him "borrowing" some code.

No, the point is that people make it seem like he developed the copy loader from scratch. Like he actually worked on the underlying concepts. The fact is that he just waited until all of the little individual work was done, and then tied it together with a small amount of work. That doesn't make him a thief. Hell, that doesn't make him anything. What it does make is everyone who keeps believing that he does everything clueless. He doesn't. The copy loader is a particularly visible example, but the point is that most of his applications are sugar candy around existing backend functions. WAD Installer doesn't install wads. It does user interaction, and when it decides to install a WAD, it breaks it into its pieces (WAD is a trivial file format) and then passes the data straight to libogc, which passes it to IOS, which then does the actual install. The breakthrough is figuring out how to make those IOS calls - guess who did that. Just because we might have diametrically opposite moral views doesn't mean they don't share the same technical requirements.

My guess is about 70% of the Homebrew Channel code isn't the HBC code itself - it's libogc, lwbt, libfat, and what-have-you. The main difference is that many bits and pieces of those didn't exist before HBC, and we did the necessary reverse engineering and coding to create them - and they are now available to all homebrew. That is our skill - if we don't have something, we can make it from scratch. Waninkoko just uses existing tools, and I can count his contributions to libogc on one hand.

There is this crowd of "wanky boys" that insist on believing that Waninkoko's work is diametrically opposite to that of the "bushing boys". It's not - most of the time, the "bushing boys" developed the tools, which Waninkoko then adapted in ways that the "bushing boys" decided not to.

Ofcourse it is, there are always ALOT of retards who don't know shit about about the whole scene but just see some names about the oader etc.
But it doesn't take away that Waninkoko DID succeeded to tie all bits and pieces together to create the first backup loader. Ofcourse it wasn't ALL his work but he did something to make this work fine.
Maybe, in your eyes, he's doing (some) things wrong etc. and he can't code as good as you can but he didn't wanted to release his loader on this way anyway. (sorry for bit of-quote, but I'm reminding some other things you wrote)

But next to that, I RESPECT all the reverse engineering work that is done. With all the libs. But these are great examples of things where the libs were created for (I believe).
So people can use it for things that can be created with the libs, also user interaction is needed these days for the newbies that can't code and fast accesibility.

marcan said:
QUOTE(Motoko @ Oct 7 2008, 04:20 PM)
isnt it based on Waninkoko's code?
Yes, which is the problem. Waninkoko's approach is the easiest (and basically the only one that he could put together with the existing tools), but it's also not readily "fixable". You'd have to start from scratch to do it right.

You're giving a 'bit' right derections here, but DON'T forget that there are NOT many awesome-skilled coders the scene. Waninkoko is good, way better then almost everybody that owns a Wii, but there are still guys that are better than him (like you I guess + lib teams) but not like there are plenty of good coders who can code it in such a way that it'll be so effecient as it could be.

Because all programmers on that coding level still need to:
  • Be in the Wii-hacking scene.
  • Don't mind piracy
  • Feel like creating a backup loader (Your break)
  • Mind sharing it (Your other break
    tongue.gif
    )
Which seems nearly impossible to create a 'better' backup loader.

PS: Don't mind my english, I'm dutch.
lecture.gif

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
Jesse Sander said:
But it doesn't take away that Waninkoko DID succeeded to tie all bits and pieces together to create the first backup loader. Ofcourse it wasn't ALL his work but he did something to make this work fine.
Sure - and I acknowledge that. Waninkoko is by no means clueless. He isn't any good at reverse engineering or "hacking", but he knows how to code decently.
Jesse Sander said:
Maybe, in your eyes, he's doing (some) things wrong etc. and he can't code as good as you can but he didn't wanted to release his loader on this way anyway. (sorry for bit of-quote, but I'm reminding some other things you wrote)
Well, regarding the loader, the problem is that it's the wrong approach - not that the first release is buggy (I know it's a leaked beta). I've been far more critical about some other code that he's released as a "final" version (such as the first version of that region changer thing) which wasn't just sloppy code - it was also badly documented and outright dangerous.

QUOTE(Jesse Sander @ Oct 9 2008, 12:40 AM)
So people can use it for things that can be created with the libs, also user interaction is needed these days for the newbies that can't code and fast accesibility.
Obviously you need someone to write the user code. I'm not arguing that. All I'm saying is his stuff is mostly user code - he might make things simple for the average user, but those things were possible already via the libs.
Of course, that doesn't cover everything - all he does is not "just" GUIs, as the copy loader does have some code of his own to tie things together - but that code usually amounts to connecting existing pieces in a logical way - let's call it "obvious code" (at least obvious to any decent developer who has read the existing documentation). He also hasn't done zero reverse engineering - a few of his cIOS patches are a good example of some decent work - but it's minimal compared to the amount of reverse engineering work that other people have completed that he is using. He knows enough to just barely get by doing what he does, but only if most of the "thinking" work is already done for him.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
originaly wanin wasnt going to use DVDx, there was other stuff me n him tested, but it got confused and we got really stumped. i told him form the start to use DVDx, back when we were trying hotswap loader thing a month or so back, maybe he'll rewrite the code to not use DVDx in the future, but that would probs need to start from scratch again.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok so, is the code inside the loaders/launcher a copy, or has anything to do with the firmware inside the modchips??
I mean are we (with the launcher installed) actually controling some of the strings from the chip drive or is just forcing to read the patched disc??
just to know where i can start my Pirate-Launcher
tongue.gif

Concerning all the crap above, YES you're all right, it is your f.... Wii and you know what to do with it. It is causing damage to the video game industry (minor like 0.01%, but it's there) and should be existing no lost at all. Nintendo knows all of this and knows their flaws, but so what? isn't fun to f... around with your Wii and try to ruin it so you can buy another?, lol isn't cool to go with your homies (lmfao) and tell them that you're the first of them to run backups on your Wii without a spend a dime on a chip but wasting like 4 days and a half on the internet, and 20 DVD without patch, figuring out how to make this shit works??? ISN'T????

buy the way, the studys tells me to say I want to have fun and be cool among my homies, YEAH...!!!
smile.gif

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ marcan any info please on how to dump the firmware of the drive chip or have i got to get my IR station out and read it direct. like i say have been messing about with ASM now for awhile (admittedly mainly ARM types) would like to have a poke about. what other parts have been dumped so far?

as for any more info on how to over come the 3x as marcan said its possible, or you could get a drive chip lol.

as for is it fun to mess about with stuff HELL yeah i have a Nokia 3310 with a multimeter 6 new games, fading leds, room monitor, plus other things in a hidden menu

drbio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
im a coding noob, but it sounds fairly easy to let the launcher load iso's from hdd instead of dvd medium to bypass the 3x problem?

anyone?

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
maybe you should just read some pages of this thread.

the potential connection point for an hdd to the wii would be the usb ports which are 1.1. what does that tell us? 12mbit/s transfer speed... btw. single speed dvd is 10,8 mbit/s.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
drbio said:
im a coding noob, but it sounds fairly easy ...

generally, this kind of sentence leads to epic fail

and generally, the answer is: if it was easy, it would have been already done

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Jacobeian said:
drbio said:
im a coding noob, but it sounds fairly easy ...
and generally, the answer is: if it was easy, it would have been already done

I saw lots of things too easy but never done... or not done in time... it depends on the choices of the individuals in some cases...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...