'3x' drive speed.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CMac1988, Oct 2, 2008.

Oct 2, 2008

'3x' drive speed. by CMac1988 at 4:00 PM (36,338 Views / 0 Likes) 272 replies

1. CMac1988
    OP

Newcomer CMac1988 Member

United Kingdom
    Just a quick question.

Does anyone know if any groups/individuals are working on a method of getting around the 3x drive speed limitation at soft-mod level?

Thnx

2. Saladman

Newcomer Saladman Advanced Member

United States
    Well, with waninkoko basically chased off the internet, i would guess no.

Congrats to the 'bushing boys' you certainly won.

3. YellowYoYos

Member YellowYoYos GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Like waninkoko is the only dev working on this. We will see more updates someday

4. Saladman

United States
    Well I hope so. Because i still think Wanikoko was by far the best bet.

5. judgedee

Newcomer judgedee Advanced Member

United States
    even if theree was no one would tell you.

6. choupette

Newcomer choupette Advanced Member

France
    if I'm not mistaken, it's a limitation inherent to dvdx, and dvdx is not coded by waninko.

7. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    the only progress is buy a bleeding mod chip, not expensive. might as well instead of the constant waste of discs with patching this that the other, all the fails etc.. better off with a chip, might not be till a good few months till they iron out the wrinkles of the loaders, and even still they might not manage it** up to you.

8. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    exactly, the ignorance on these boards is amazing

I would not hold my breathe if I were you, it is a hardware limitation and there is nothing waninkoko could do about it... other than waiting for one of the "bushing boys", like you said, to (eventually) found a new way around [​IMG]

9. Saladman

United States

You also told us once that waninkoko was incapable of producing a backuploader at all.

Go away 'bushing boy' your team already won

10. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Im sure in the future someone will find a way around it, Especially with WiiGators backup loader, So right now im sure someone is trying to work around it, If you dont want 3x speed, Get a modchip

11. slimpyman

Member slimpyman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    dvdx is sloppy code. it doesnt even play 1/3rd of the dvds i try to play with the "proof of concept" mplayer. go back to the drawing boards. its junk. get a read speed of 5x while youre at it.

12. Jacobeian

Cuba
    lol, dvdx is actually the base of backup loader
    what is limited is the "secret" DVD video mode, nothing more... sadly, thisis actually the ONLY way to read backup DVD on unmodded wii

13. CMac1988
    OP

Newcomer CMac1988 Member

United Kingdom
    When you say nothing Waninkoko could do about, did he ever says anything meaning its impossbile etc. or is it just some people assuming that since he's one of the best coders around and hadn't achieved it, it simply couldnt be done?

Thnx for the info guys. [​IMG]

14. nitrotux

Newcomer nitrotux Advanced Member

United States
    There is no way around the 3x read speed in with the DVD in video mode.

The only other consideration is using a different medium than DVD to load backups from, such as USB or maybe SD.

15. Meowayne

Member Meowayne GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    First of all, Waninkoko is still working on the backup loader. He recently stated that his current version has much, much better compatibility. Still I wouldn't hold my breath for a release, if there ever is one.

Secondly, don't expect a workaround on the 3x drive speed soon. In fact, don't expect one at all, it is neither Waninkokos nor the DVDx's team fault. The reason this backup loader was possible in the first place is that the Wii's disc drive has a mode for reading non-original-Wii discs: DVD-Rs, to be precise. This mode is fixed at 3x speed by the drive's firmware. This mode is used by waninkokos cIOS to start Wii game data from a DVD-R. "Fixing" the problem means finding a way to alter the drive's firmware and it's functioning without a modchip - Which, far as I understand, is impossible.

No, if I were you, I'd keep an eye out for coders to crack Nintendos speed-cap on the USB-ports. The Wii has USB 2.0 ports, which would be fast enough to stream game ISOs to the backup loader. In fact, the speed of USB 2.0 could even decrease loading times. But Nintendo, clever as they are, limit the USB transfer rate to USB 1.1, which is even slower than the 3x DVD-R reading, even though the ports could potentially work faster. From what I've read, getting the console to use full USB 2.0 speed is seen as "more realistic" goal by coders than working around the 3x speed limitation of DVDx.

USB 2.0 would be Nintendo's nightmare, as it would enable the easy, simple and fast booting of game backups from any USB drive (put all your backups on a hdd, plug it into the console and never swap discs again), so I expect it to be difficult. But as far as I know, it is not regarded as impossible.

Edit : Streaming via ethernet cable is also an option that would improve the 3x speed limitations, and should theoretically be possible.

16. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    You state that the ignorance on the boards is amazing and then come out with 'it is a hardware limitation'.

The Hardware naturally reads at 6x speed and its only when using the Wii loader that it drops to 3x , so how can it be a hardware issue if the hardware is designed to read at 6x naturally ?

17. Jacobeian

Cuba
    dvd drive firmware limitation = hardware limitation in my mind

because it can not easily be modified through homebrew software

happy ?

18. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    it is the way the dvdx works that makes it limited to 3X not the loader or the hardware is limited

19. nitrotux

Newcomer nitrotux Advanced Member

United States
    When the DVD firmware identifies a video DVD it sets the maximum read speed to 3x.
    This does not happen for a real Wii disc.

That makes it a hardware limitation.

20. Meowayne

Member Meowayne GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    As far as we know, changing the speed of the drive's DVD-Video mode requires hardware modification, thus, it's a hardware problem.