CMac1988

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MeowMix said:
FGOD said:
if it would be that simple it would already been done...

Im just saying we may as well try it out, if not then its a DVDX Problem. All we can do then is make a new DVDX but we need to find the exploit, so decompilation?

Im no programmer, but dont you think it'd be easier for a dev to create a similiar program for this specific purpose. Plus dont think the original creators (Bushing etc.) of DVDX would be pretty happy if there program was decompiled and re-written to support backups (or most likely piracy). All we need is a reason for more people to have second thoughts about coding for the Wii, cause there work was compromised and used for a purpose that it was not intended for. There probably already pissed that someone has already found a way to use it for this reason.

MeowMix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CMac1988 said:
MeowMix said:
FGOD said:
if it would be that simple it would already been done...

Im just saying we may as well try it out, if not then its a DVDX Problem. All we can do then is make a new DVDX but we need to find the exploit, so decompilation?

Im no programmer, but dont you think it'd be easier for a dev to create a similiar program for this specific purpose. Plus dont thin the original creators (Bushing etc.) of DVDX would be pretty happy if there program was decompiled and re-written to support backups (or most likely piracy). All we need is a reason for more people to have second thoughts about coding for the Wii, cause there work was compromised and used for a purpose that it was not intended for. They probably already pissed that someone has already found a way to use it for this reason.

what difference does it really make they reverse engeerneered the firmware which is highly illegal, i couldnt give 2 cruds about bushing and crew. if not decompilation then we gotto reverse engerneer and find the exploit and we can make our own dvdlib. or you could decompile theres, and write it completely ur way but include the bug.

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
just a dumb question about the wii ethernet adapter.

has any1 tried to perform some speed test somehow using the WII ethernet adapter?

couse something comes to my mind

1) USB are 2.0 -> limited to 1.1
2) ethernet adapter is? 100mbit?

but

- ethernet adapter is plugged in via USB

so

- how can a 100 mbit adapter run full speed if it's bridged by the USB wich is limited to 1.1?

two possibilities

- ethernet adapter is 10mbit (not 100mbit)
- ethernet adapters is able to unlock the USB speed somehow to be able to run full-speed.

but i think the first option is the more realistic one, since the ethernet adapter for the wii was not intended for file transfers but only for online gaming where WIFI is not available.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
djtaz said:
teq said:
+ 3x speed is not a limitation, but a default for the Wii drive. The speed is variable from 3x to 6x and can be set via software.

Are you saying that if the software set the register that controls the speed that the specific software would work at 6 speed ?

again, no... what determine the MAXIMAL speed is the mode the DVD drive has been set

-if you are in normal DVD mode, speed is 3x-6x but disc must be authentified
-if you are in DVD video mode, speed is limited to 3X but all DVD with "DVD-Video" booktype can be read

You can not play with hardware "registers" via software, they are not directly accessible
The only thing you can do is what has been authorized by the firmware, i.e "configuring" the DVD mode by sending the specific DVD commands
that's all that is known actually

and no, the firmware is not modifiable by software, think at it as a one-way door
the only thing taht can be done is patching the DVD chip work memory using some kinf of debug pin, via a modchip that means

hope that's more clear

CMac1988

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MeowMix said:
what difference does it really make they reverse engeerneered the firmware which is highly illegal, i couldnt give 2 cruds about bushing and crew. if not decompilation then we gotto reverse engerneer and find the exploit and we can make our own dvdlib. or you could decompile theres, and write it completely ur way but include the bug.

True but then we end up with a whole seen up in arms, running around with pitchforks and shouting obscentites just for the hell of it. Look at tehskeen when the original backup launcher was leaked 'GULP'.

I agree with you, in that we do (and by we i mean capable dev's lol) need to try and find a way to make this work, and exploit it for the purpose of running backups. I aint all for piracy but for a console which already has a phenomenal install base, the worst that could happen is that small gaming developers cease making crap games for the Wii, and the others step up and make games that are actually worth buying.

Also dont forget that were still basing this all on the assumption that DVDX may have been restricted to allow full access, and that its possible we can use it to achieve 6x.

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CMac1988 said:
Also dont forget that were still basing this all on the assumption that DVDX may have been restricted to allow full access
That assumption is baseless. DVDX is only a stub that -- by setting one(!) bit that was previously unknown -- turns on the dvd mode that has always been in the Wii's hardware and software. Any restrictions for this mode are designed by Nintendo and have always been there. No need for conspiracy theories here.

ciper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is so full of fail my head is hurting.
Jacobeian said:
-if you are in normal DVD mode, speed is 3x-6x but disc must be authentified
-if you are in DVD video mode, speed is limited to 3X but all DVD with "DVD-Video" booktype can be read
This man speaks the truth. Love the word "authentified" btw LOL

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it does sound like the usb2 root would be an easier way to go to get a high speed working game , and storing all the iso's on an external drive would seem like a great idea anyway to be honest.

ciper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
it does sound like the usb2 root would be an easier way to go to get a high speed working game , and storing all the iso's on an external drive would seem like a great idea anyway to be honest.
I agree. It's also already technically possible and I've played Wii games from an attached hard drive.

Look here http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=104505

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
I do believe your about to receive,

I got to say I think this thread is going to fry the living day lights out of some of the people reading this topic, lol
, from a couple of questions on the ahem backup loaders)
there's been nothing but ranting, sounds like a full blown out essay of arguments, who's right who's wrong, i suggest leave the programmers that are trying to alter the loaders to do there work, if they want to release it they will, you will know about it some way or another, otherwise like I said, with the current 2 backup loaders, either PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

(USB is the only easier way without a mod chip) i must admit, oh well, suppose those which are crying may as well go get a chip.

nitrotux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
+ 3x speed is not a limitation, but a default for the Wii drive. The speed is variable from 3x to 6x and can be set via software.
+ Neither DVDx, nor the Custom DIP set the register that controls the drive speed, thus it remains default.
+ The Wii DVD drive does not have writable firmware.

The 3x speed is a limitation of the DVD drive firmware, as it sets this speed as the maximum when you are dealing with the DVD video mode.

The Wii DVD drive firmware is writable, ie by sending the debug commands. However, the Wii system hardware blocks this specific type of command from leaving and entering the DVD drive.

nitrotux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
CMac1988 said:
lol, techinically its a bit of both. djtaz is right in saying that it is a software limitation, as anything that is coded (in this case the firmware) is regarded software. Albeit this piece of software is what is causing the limitation itslef, and the firmware is needed in order for the hardware to work, tus citing it as also being a hardware issue...
Im still adament that this is a software issue.

You could theoretically extract the update files (firmware) from the Newest Nintendo Game from your region and obviously someone who knows what they are doing , would be able to examine the firmware update.
If they know the system well they would be able to manipulate this firmware to remove the speed block on the dvd drive, then re-create the update files and flash them manually with the WAD installer.

Its all possible in theory , and firmware is software that limits the hardware , but it is still a software issue that can in theory be overcome.

The "firmware" you are talking about, attached to the update partition of a game, simply contains system files such as IOS, channels, etc but it is not related to the DVD firmware at all.

"its all possible in theory" ? Please get your theory straight first.

nitrotux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CMac1988 said:
So what were now getting at, is that it is more than likely possible to get the software to run the drive read speed at 6x, but that bushing, and his group may have kept a lid on it to try and prevent piracy?

No, don't be so paranoid.

CMac1988

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nitrotux said:
CMac1988 said:
So what were now getting at, is that it is more than likely possible to get the software to run the drive read speed at 6x, but that bushing, and his group may have kept a lid on it to try and prevent piracy?

No, don't be so paranoid.

Paranoia? How can I be paranoid, that doesn't make any sense? Paranoia derives from worry created by fear and/or anxiety, and what is there to be worried about. I was just wondering and simply expanded on what someone else said before me. Just found their post interesting.

biggrin.gif

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nitrotux said:
teq said:
+ Neither DVDx, nor the Custom DIP set the register that controls the drive speed, thus it remains default.
+ The Wii DVD drive does not have writable firmware.

The 3x speed is a limitation of the DVD drive firmware, as it sets this speed as the maximum when you are dealing with the DVD video mode.

The Wii DVD drive firmware is writable, ie by sending the debug commands. However, the Wii system hardware blocks this specific type of command from leaving and entering the DVD drive.

I don't really see how your explanation varies in any way from what I said... you've simply restated everything.

It's understandable that the drive would only operate at 3x while reading DVD video, since that's the speed at which all DVD players read. Furthermore, the ROM isn't writable in a sense that we could modify it and have the change persist within software.

Everyone who paid notice to "reverse engineering DVDx" should be shot, as the project is open source.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
ciper said:
djtaz said:
I agree. It's also already technically possible and I've played Wii games from an attached hard drive.

Look here http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=104505

I bet the one on that link has a hard drive connected instead of a DVD drive so it uses the port the DVD drive usually occupies inside the Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple