jespertje

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a wiikey and I did set my disc read speed (via the config disc) to 3x and games load almost as fast as when I set it to 6x speed. So the speed should not matter that much. It must be something else.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jespertje said:
I have a wiikey and I did set my disc read speed (via the config disc) to 3x and games load almost as fast as when I set it to 6x speed. So the speed should not matter that much. It must be something else.

must be, eh?

well I'd think a very fractional amount of time you can contribute to the fact that software is being read out of software mode, but I dont know the ins and outs of that. it wouldnt be much difference.

also, loads time actually arent that bad across the board, its more stuttering movies, or flat-out freezes than anything. I think some people dont know how long it really takes some originals to load this and that. you notice more cuz you heard the load times were bad.

neoalucard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jespertje said:

You say that the games load almost as fast at 3x when forced with wiikey but are the pre-rendered videos stuttering?

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
when you wii is modded it reads at 6 speed - the wiikey has the option to reduce it to 3 if you want - its part of the programming put into the wiikey to set the read speed to 6. Its not in the software version and as yet its not possible to do it that way

doslu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i read that in the readme of new Mplayerv0.06

-v0.06 (10/03/08):
-huge speedup on USB devices (thanks to rodries and Hermes)

very gooooooood

neoalucard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the stuttering isn't caused by the 3x reading speed then it means that the ONLY real problem besides compatibility could be addressed in a future update. I could care less about the long loading times so I just hope somone can figure this out.

Also, I never watched any dvd's on the wii but I guess they play well no? How are pre-rendrered videos any different? Why would they need to run at 6x to run well? Maybe if the backup loader wasn't dependant on DVDx like waninkoko's final version was supposed to be all would be well. (I know it would still need to use the "hidden" DVD Video mode but maybe a proprietary solution would help)

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay let's think about this the new ps2 softmod esr authenticates the disc as a dvdvideo so it unlocks
the drive mechacon then esr reads the game partition of the disc in dvdvideo mode at full speed
loading and running the game with no slowdown now there has to be a similarity here 99% of dvd
players are alike so this has to be possible to code the launcher after dvdmode init on the wii to
use the launchers code to load the disc at the correct speed.......

This is just my two cent's I have been modding consoles for a while and know how alot of these
hacks work so maybe If someone can contact ffgriever the author of the selfbooting ps2 esr
and send him the elf or dol maybe he can figure out how to fix our speed issues what do you
say guys. Huh not a bad idea to have a few bright heads on this project........

Look at it like this

waninkoko's loader leak
wiigator got it display correct video modes on all tv's and better compatiblity so I here
ffgriever could alter/code a bit more on the launcher to get the correct read speed
when thats done we need another master dev to clean the bugs on non-working games
and then we'll have a safe softmod for wii...... thnx 4 listening I love VIDEO GAMES keeps
me out of trouble

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
but the drive of the ps2 doesn't have a hardware side drivespeed limit like the wii dvd drive. so much for your 99%. the wii hardware limits the reading speed to 3x in dvd-video mode and actually that should be fast enough. the reason i think it should be fast enough is that the wiikey modchip has an option to limit the drive speed to 3x with standard copies and originals and there are no loading issues, as far as i know. there are still other problems within the loader code which are causing the slow loading times.

ZarathustraX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Meowayne said:
First of all, Waninkoko is still working on the backup loader. He recently stated that his current version has much, much better compatibility. Still I wouldn't hold my breath for a release, if there ever is one.

Secondly, don't expect a workaround on the 3x drive speed soon. In fact, don't expect one at all, it is neither Waninkokos nor the DVDx's team fault. The reason this backup loader was possible in the first place is that the Wii's disc drive has a mode for reading non-original-Wii discs: DVD-Rs, to be precise. This mode is fixed at 3x speed by the drive's firmware. This mode is used by waninkokos cIOS to start Wii game data from a DVD-R. "Fixing" the problem means finding a way to alter the drive's firmware and it's functioning without a modchip - Which, far as I understand, is impossible.

No, if I were you, I'd keep an eye out for coders to crack Nintendos speed-cap on the USB-ports. The Wii has USB 2.0 ports, which would be fast enough to stream game ISOs to the backup loader. In fact, the speed of USB 2.0 could even decrease loading times. But Nintendo, clever as they are, limit the USB transfer rate to USB 1.1, which is even slower than the 3x DVD-R reading, even though the ports could potentially work faster. From what I've read, getting the console to use full USB 2.0 speed is seen as "more realistic" goal by coders than working around the 3x speed limitation of DVDx.

USB 2.0 would be Nintendo's nightmare, as it would enable the easy, simple and fast booting of game backups from any USB drive (put all your backups on a hdd, plug it into the console and never swap discs again), so I expect it to be difficult. But as far as I know, it is not regarded as impossible.

Edit : Streaming via ethernet cable is also an option that would improve the 3x speed limitations, and should theoretically be possible.

Very informative post. Cheers.

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screemer said:
but the drive of the ps2 doesn't have a hardware side drivespeed limit like the wii dvd drive. so much for your 99%. the wii hardware limits the reading speed to 3x in dvd-video mode and actually that should be fast enough. the reason i think it should be fast enough is that the wiikey modchip has an option to limit the drive speed to 3x with standard copies and originals and there are no loading issues, as far as i know. there are still other problems within the loader code which are causing the slow loading times.

hey thnx for explaining that about the hardware side and such well let's just wait and see what happens now
fingers crossed XD......

Jinkolite

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Screemer said:

Anyone think it might be the Patcher that we run through before we burn it ? Just a thought.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
for my understandings its the decoding of the data which is right now done by the loader itself, so software implemented, but it should and could be done by the wii hardware. as far as i know starlet is responsible for the data decoding and the ways to do that is documented. but i am no coder but i am sure that there are already some ppl working on that. please tell me if i am wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back