3G Vita provider lock?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by codezer0, Dec 1, 2012.

1. codezer0
    OP

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Okay, so... I know that at least here in the states, the 'preferred' 3G data provider for the Vita is none other than AT&T. And while I can't exactly say that I have very bright experiences with AT&T, I am curious about the 3G model.

In part, I know it takes a SIM to work, so I have to wonder... what exactly would be stopping me from using a SIM from say, StraightTalk, or SIMple mobile or some similar with the Vita, and getting online that way? I'm wondering how locked down that portion of the Vita is... I know with the first iPhones, it was to the point that you couldn't even use a SIM from another AT&T smartphone on the iPhone, and had to have its own iPhone-specific SIM to work, until that got unlocked.

So, I suppose what I'm asking is... can the 3G+Wifi vita be used with another provider's SIM card?

2. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Apparently the US and Japan versions of the PSVita are region locked. If you want a 3G version, your options seem to be importing :(

3. codezer0
    OP

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    And given how well I know sony, that means I couldn't use any US Vita games, either.

I was just thinking that it was probably just a matter of putting the appropriate sim for a different network and going with that. The 3G model used has been going for some significant price cuts at gamestop (of all the places, right?)... cheaper than even the Wifi-only model. However, I've had enough bad experiences with AT&T to write a book about it, and would not care to give them even one red cent as long as I can help it.

4. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    The games are region free regardless of the console region or sim card. It's just the 3G side that's a bummer. Apparently AT&T could unlock it, but I've yet to hear a successful try for that.