Homebrew 3DShell - Multi-purpose File Manager for the 3DS

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhhhh, I see, makes sense. Hopefully someday there might be a way to fix the code to make it work on devices that it normally wouldn't work for. Could it possibly be a RAM usage issue?

I'm not entirely sure. I haven't looked into it. Other trusted developers on discord warned me about that issue so I never bothered fiddling around with it. Perhaps, I'll take a look when I get some free time.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a while but I've come to share some bad news and some good news. Going to start with the bad so we can end in a good note.

Well the bad news is that 3DShell is coming to an end. I don't really use my 3DS much if at all these days anymore. In-fact I don't even remember where it is. I feel like this program had a good run, although I felt like I could've done more with it, I have other priorities right now (work, other projects). Another thing is the audio loading functionality is getting stripped. I faced some difficulties after overhauling the audio decoder functions and I'm not motivated enough to spend time working on it anymore. Plus there's another homebrew out there called Limeplayer which seems to be better maintained for audio playback.

The good news is, I'm going to wrap it up with one final update. There's a few things I want to clean up like FS, image loading, maybe FTP etc. I'm also going to be disabling the nightly updates after this. If any issues are introduced with the new upcoming release I'll be happy to maintain or publish hotfixes.

Anyways I hope everyone's doing well, especially with what's going on around the world. Take care and stay safe, I'll post more updates on the new release as I make more progress.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DShell v5.0.0 BETA 1

I know I'm very late on this however I came to know that previous versions introduced a nasty bug when using the multiple file select option. If the user selects the parent folder and proceeds to delete, you can possibly wipe/format your entire SD card (since it will delete everything in the parent folder ".."). I know I could have simply wrote a patch that checked for this and prevent it from happening, but I wasn't happy with the state of 3DShell's codebase hence why I decided to re-write it in c++. Do note that the re-write is currently tagged as "BETA" because it's still missing some important features such as FTP, audio playback(probably will be entirely removed), and archive support. Also there won't be any .CIA binaries bundled anymore. There's also some slight UI changes mostly aimed towards a better user friendly experience. Also there is no touch functionality apart from touching the menu buttons (like home, options, settings icons). Most if not all of these features will slowly be re-implemented and bought up with minor updates which you can update through the app itself.

e9I3sBc.png

Change-log + Download: https://github.com/joel16/3DShell/releases/tag/v5.0.0

Last edited by Joel16,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please don't get rid of audio file playback, it's the best MP3/FLAC player on the 3DS.
Well the only reason I thought about dropping it was because there is another music playing application called limeplayer3ds (also ctrmus) which focuses purely on audio playback.

Why won't there be more .CIAs as of this release? I'm not demanding anything or being a dick of course, just asking
No worries, and it's because back in the day .3dsx files didn't have certain permission to access some services. (.CIA's did) That's not really the case anymore since some luma3ds/hbloader update. IIRC there's also a way to have your .3dsx app replace an app icon on the screen of something of that sort. But yeah anyways, CIA isn't exactly 'officialy' supported by devkitPro either hence my decision to remove .CIA support for now. If most of the community still wants CIA support I can look into bringing it back in the future.

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
@Joel16 I was the one that flagged that nasty bug many moons ago. I had lost hope that it would ever be fixed. I certainly never thought you’d return and completely rebuild the shell from scratch. The beta is excellent. The doubling of the number of visible files is a great QOL improvement.

Reactions: Joel16

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well the only reason I thought about dropping it was because there is another music playing application called limeplayer3ds (also ctrmus) which focuses purely on audio playback.

No worries, and it's because back in the day .3dsx files didn't have certain permission to access some services. (.CIA's did) That's not really the case anymore since some luma3ds/hbloader update. IIRC there's also a way to have your .3dsx app replace an app icon on the screen of something of that sort. But yeah anyways, CIA isn't exactly 'officialy' supported by devkitPro either hence my decision to remove .CIA support for now. If most of the community still wants CIA support I can look into bringing it back in the future.

Thank you so much for your work! If given a choice i would love a .CIA release... but that could just be me... anyway, thank you for your contribution.

Lv44ES_Burner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, I'm so damn happy to see this release! I'd been using 3DShell since Version 2.0.0 or so and this damn bug you spoke of where it'd just wipe the SD card completely had me so damn stymied last night and this morning! I lost every damn thing on my 3DS's SD card twice and had to copy back over one of my hourly backups!

You are such a damn lifesaver. Props to you!

EDIT: I will append this with a remark: Like others, I prefer having access to the .CIA option for the app, as I tend to only use the .3dsx version of 3DShell or any other homebrew as an emergency if I have to. Having it on my home menu makes me feel much more confident in accessing it on a regular basis to transfer files back and forth. As such, the .CIA option for installation and updating as well as the FTP option are vital to me, moreso than using insecure Samba sharing.

Last edited by Lv44ES_Burner,
Reactions: fmkid and Joel16

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, I'm so damn happy to see this release! I'd been using 3DShell since Version 2.0.0 or so and this damn bug you spoke of where it'd just wipe the SD card completely had me so damn stymied last night and this morning! I lost every damn thing on my 3DS's SD card twice and had to copy back over one of my hourly backups!

You are such a damn lifesaver. Props to you!

EDIT: I will append this with a remark: Like others, I prefer having access to the .CIA option for the app, as I tend to only use the .3dsx version of 3DShell or any other homebrew as an emergency if I have to. Having it on my home menu makes me feel much more confident in accessing it on a regular basis to transfer files back and forth. As such, the .CIA option for installation and updating as well as the FTP option are vital to me, moreso than using insecure Samba sharing.

It's nice to see that people still care for this little project. No worries, CIA is definitely in for next release and I am currently slowly working on getting FTP back up. So hopefully that along with some minor fixes should be in soon.

Geth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, i'm a big fan of your app. Thank you for taking the time to create and maintain it. If you have a system set up for donations anywhere I would love to buy you a cup of coffee.

I was noticing a strange issue. 3DShell crashes if I try to open a directory containing more than 158 themes. It was specific and odd, so I thought you might want to know. Can post the dump if needed.

Also you mentioned a way to somehow get 3dsx files to open from the main menu, I was investigating and all I could find are these 2 tools. (Sorry can't post links yet)

3dsx launcher loader
cxitool

I can get neither of them to produce a functional CIA however. The first one I think is outdated for current System Version. The second i'm probably just dumb. But i saw someone mention that devkit needed to ok a CIA build (which i don't honestly understand, don't know what/who devkit is) but I thought I would make sure that it is even possible to make a CIA from the current 3DSX file. Or if you had another tool in mind I didn't see and im completely barking up the wrong tree. Sorry if I didn't google enough and this is all a waste of time. But thank you for wasting a little to read this.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, i'm a big fan of your app. Thank you for taking the time to create and maintain it. If you have a system set up for donations anywhere I would love to buy you a cup of coffee.

I was noticing a strange issue. 3DShell crashes if I try to open a directory containing more than 158 themes. It was specific and odd, so I thought you might want to know. Can post the dump if needed.

Also you mentioned a way to somehow get 3dsx files to open from the main menu, I was investigating and all I could find are these 2 tools. (Sorry can't post links yet)

3dsx launcher loader
cxitool

I can get neither of them to produce a functional CIA however. The first one I think is outdated for current System Version. The second i'm probably just dumb. But i saw someone mention that devkit needed to ok a CIA build (which i don't honestly understand, don't know what/who devkit is) but I thought I would make sure that it is even possible to make a CIA from the current 3DSX file. Or if you had another tool in mind I didn't see and im completely barking up the wrong tree. Sorry if I didn't google enough and this is all a waste of time. But thank you for wasting a little to read this.

Yes if you can attach the dump I can try to analyze and see where its failing. If you turn developer options on and try to open that themes folder it might also leave behind in the logs as well. Also I'm not sure how exactly the 3dsx can be opened from main menu, it involved something with Luma's Rosalina and the new hbmenu. I think this is the option "By default, the title used to boot boot.3dsx is hblauncher_loader, but this can be changed at any time (Miscellaneous options > Switch the hb. title to the current app). Simply launch any title, use that option, close the title ; the next time you launch that title, it will run boot.3dsx." from: https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/wiki/Rosalina

However I wouldn't worry about that too much as CIA support will be back with the next update. Also there is a donation link under my github releases if you feel generous enough to do so.

Reactions: jelbo

Geth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry meant to get back to you faster after your speedy reply. Here's the dump and I enabled developer, but the only thing I could find was an empty debug.log.

(Less Important)
That's clever, I never thought about replacing boot.3dsx with other .3dsx. It works, although it makes the homebrew launcher angry until I swap it back lol.

Attachments

• crash_dump_00000000.7z
    634 bytes · Views: 158
Last edited by Geth,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DShell v5.1.0

New release with a couple more fixes and enhancements bundled with a CIA release. Just the FTP feature that's left (and maybe audio playback, still not sure about that one) and I think I can let this rest. Also just a reminder you can update through the app itself, however since CIA support got re-introduced you will have to manually install that for now if you plan to use CIA.

7Y0k05Y.png

3DShell's Image Viewer - Image Properties

Change-log + Download: https://github.com/joel16/3DShell/releases/tag/v5.1.0

Last edited by Joel16,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans