Hardware 3ds xl scratches on IR port

mk123a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got a new 3DS XL and right out of the box, noticed there were minor scuff marks on the IR port. It seems the whole unit is extremely durable and scratch resistant except for the the black IR port - that thing scratches incredibly easily. Anyone knows how a really horrible scuff Ir port would affect the usage of accesories that use it, like say the upcoming circle pad pro xl?? Would the scratches interfere with the IR communication due to distortion of light waves? Just look at your IR port and see how easily it scratches and scuffs.

actually ppl who have an original 3ds and circle pad pro can answer this too...does anyone with a really scuffed ir port been having any issues where the circle pad pro gives them errors due to transmission problems>?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I can see a very few minor scratches (under certain light) on my original 3DS but that's it. Then again, I've been fairly careful with it (not saying you haven't :P).

mk123a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
when you look at it under direct light you can see lots of hair scratches. The ir lens on my original 3ds is more durable compared to the xl's as that one only as a very few scratches and its been in and out of my pockets, bag, etc. What also annoys me is that the port is slight indented inwards, so all the grease and dirt collects around the edges of it. Unlike the original 3ds where the port was basically flush with the system. Damn these scratches and grease marks, its annoying whenever i see it. I hope it doesnt affect the ir transreciever from working properly.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt it will affect performance but just to be on the same side, if I were you I'd cut a neat little rectangle out of sellotape and place that over it.

mk123a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sounds like a good idea, but to think that nintendo would not notice how easy it is to scuff the lens especially for a device which you can slide in and out of your pockets. I was cleaning the the ir port with a clean microfiber cloth and it still left hairline scratches. I doubt though that the port will be used for anything else besides the circle pad pro xl. Reminds me of the gbc's old IR port..was that used for anything at all?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
IR is pretty forgiving. a few scratches on the IR filter won't do much in terms of functionality. As long as the IR LED behind the filter is still functioning, it will still work.

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the IR beam is able to be viewed out of the system everything is fine , its very hard for scratches to distort the frequency of the IR light

mk123a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
good to know, will apply some cellophane tape over in either case because the dirt, grease and further scratching would annoy me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30