Hardware 3DS wireless turning itself on/off, switch does nothing

Wist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bit of a problem, people of GBAtemp. I was visiting some family members in...a faraway place, and I traveled there by plane. I'm not sure if that part's important, but whatever. Know how you're made to shut off all devices in case they interfere with the aircraft, which never actually happens and never will? Well, I had done so with my 3DS XL shortly after taking off. When the announcer said it was alright to turn devices back on when we were in the air, I did so, and switched my wireless off per requiem.

All went well, kept playing Animal Crossing, and after a few hours, the announcer told us to once again turn the devices off. Once again, I did so. After landing and safely coming to a complete stop, I grabbed my 3DS from my pocket and turned it on, and flicked the power switch to maybe get some streetpass tags. The 3DS turned on, and nothing happened. The light stayed off. I tried again, and still nothing happened. I decided it might have been a little bug, and I reset the device. The same problem occurred.

I decided to give up and just go to my relative's house. A little while after, I was playing more Animal Crossing (one does not simply get enough Animal Crossing) when I noticed the wireless light go on. I didn't touch it, it turned on by itself, and connected to the internet. I then proceeded to play online with a few of my friends, and after being in game for a while, the wireless suddenly turned itself off again.

So I'm really not sure what's going on. I haven't dropped the device, it's suffered no damage, except for minor cosmetic wear from normal use, and I haven't tried modding it.
I'm 9 years late but I have this issue too. I had my 3ds for 10 years but this has never happened before. It randomly started happening since yesterday and idk how to fix it. I'm hoping it fixes on its own like it did for you.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm 9 years late but I have this issue too. I had my 3ds for 10 years but this has never happened before. It randomly started happening since yesterday and idk how to fix it. I'm hoping it fixes on its own like it did for you.
If you are able to run homebrew there is a homebrew app that will toggle Wifi on and off in case you have a broken switch.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are able to run homebrew there is a homebrew app that will toggle Wifi on and off in case you have a broken switch.
He doesn't need any homebrew app to turn ON Wireless Connections..
Oh, my 3ds isn't modded but thank you for your reply! I think I might have to get it repaired as it's still not fixed.
Installing cfw won't magically fix your issue (a hardware issue), which is the WiFi chip in your case. But you're free to do it if you want..
What you should do regarding the WiFi chip, is opening the 3DS and re-seating it, just taking it off and plugging it back could fix it.
If doesn't, you might need to find a replacement. Or the WiFi led is broken, though not sure if it allows the Wireless Connections to be ON and work normally, and just the led itself that's off..

Reactions: zxr750j

Wist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again, I just successfully modded my 3ds! Btw what’s the name of the app? I’m a bit new to this sorry.
Edit: nvm I figured it out! But it still keeps automatically switching itself :( I’ll still prolly have to get it repaired, thank you tho!

Last edited by Wist,

Wist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Installing cfw won't magically fix your issue (a hardware issue), which is the WiFi chip in your case. But you're free to do it if you want..
What you should do regarding the WiFi chip, is opening the 3DS and re-seating it, just taking it off and plugging it back could fix it.
If doesn't, you might need to find a replacement. Or the WiFi led is broken, though not sure if it allows the Wireless Connections to be ON and work normally, and just the led itself that's off..
Ah do you have a video of someone demonstrating this? Sorry about the hassle, I’ve never done this before aha

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Allow me to correct your reading error. If the cause is a BROKEN TOGGLE SWITCH, which is the exact case for my son's OLD 3DS, then there is a HOMEBREW app that you can use to bypass a BROKEN TOGGLE SWITCH. If it's a 2DS or a NEW 3DS then this can already be accomplished through the system menu since it's baked in, however for OLD 3DS and OLD 3DS XL you have to physically use a switch to turn it on or use a homebrew app.

OP managed to hack his 3DS and turn it back on momentarily. Now if it was a completely dead WIFI module the 3DS wouldn't boot to the home menu at all and would instead display an error code, there might be a loose sensor in the lid somewhere or the chip might need to be reseated. OP can read a similar thread about it here. Quote from last post:

The only time I've had the Wifi drop was shutting the lid.

Sounds to me like a loose connection inside your machine, then.

For the OP, here's a video of an old guy reseating the card on YouTube.

Last edited by raging_chaos,
Reactions: Wist

Wist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Allow me to correct your reading error. If the cause is a BROKEN TOGGLE SWITCH, which is the exact case for my son's OLD 3DS, then there is a HOMEBREW app that you can use to bypass a BROKEN TOGGLE SWITCH. If it's a 2DS or a NEW 3DS then this can already be accomplished through the system menu since it's baked in, however for OLD 3DS and OLD 3DS XL you have to physically use a switch to turn it on or use a homebrew app.

OP managed to hack his 3DS and turn it back on momentarily. Now if it was a completely dead WIFI module the 3DS wouldn't boot to the home menu at all and would instead display an error code, there might be a loose sensor in the lid somewhere or the chip might need to be reseated. OP can read a similar thread about it here. Quote from last post:

For the OP, here's a video of an old guy reseating the card on YouTube.
Ayee thats awesome, thanks for the video!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1