ROM Hack 3DS Windows Explorer extension

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, you're not the only one with this problem.
EDIT: found the solution, apparently it was thanks to Photoshop messing up with the filename extension in the registry causing this problem since as some of you might know, 3DS is a filename extension for some Photoshop files. To fix this problem, go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

And try to find 3ds (it should be at the top). Click on it. Once done, proceed to check the OpenWithList And the OpenWithProgids menus for all strings related to Photoshop, then proceed to delete them. If you have a problem during this step, just look at 3dz, and compare it with 3ds. Both should have the same strings and keys.

The registry entries for 3ds and 3dz are exactly the same for some reason

c80n

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The registry entries for 3ds and 3dz are exactly the same for some reason
Do your 3ds files display as if they were a generic picture file?
Because if that's not the case then you don't share the same problem as me.

AUTOMATIC1111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
c80n: so can you clarify, in the end, were there edits to .3ds files caused by my program? I do not write anything to streams provided to me by explorer, so the way I see it is very unlikely that my program can mess up ROMs.
Also strange that editing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts would fix any problem with the extension. This is the node dealing with opening files -- my program is not involved with that, it generates thumbnails and properties, through different interfaces.

Kurt117: Yes, you can. The format of files is trivial, just open .txt files in a text editor.

c80n

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
c80n: so can you clarify, in the end, were there edits to .3ds files caused by my program? I do not write anything to streams provided to me by explorer, so the way I see it is very unlikely that my program can mess up ROMs.
Also strange that editing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts would fix any problem with the extension. This is the node dealing with opening files -- my program is not involved with that, it generates thumbnails and properties, through different interfaces.

Kurt117: Yes, you can. The format of files is trivial, just open .txt files in a text editor.
It's an issue generated by Photoshop that happens only when your program ran, that made all the 3ds files look like generic picture files and made them unable to launch. Photoshop associated all the 3ds files as its own, thus whenever your program tried to generate thumbnails, it somehow messed up all the 3DS roms because (I assume) Photoshop tried to generate a different thumbnail. All of this despite taking the necessary actions to get rid of Photoshop associating the file as its own It's not a fault of your program nor Photoshop's faults, it's the fault of Windows and their atrocious system of associating files with programs. It gets incredibly messy and the only fix I found was by editing the registry.
Your program does not make any edit to the respective registry as far as I'm aware.
They're displayed as a blank file
Try double clicking them and see if Windows wants to select a default program to launch these files. Just to make sure, check Windows file association. If the .3ds file extension says unknown application, then it's not a problem with Windows associating files. If it's blank or says something else, then the problem is from another source.

AUTOMATIC1111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
hackotedelaplaqu: Yep.
filfat: I wish I could, but it's not possible yet.
c80n: Well, once more, my program does not open files. The list of programs that edit 3ds files should not in any way involve my extension.

Reactions: filfat

c80n

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
c80n: Well, once more, my program does not open files. The list of programs that edit 3ds files should not in any way involve my extension.
The problem is the generated thumbnail, not opening the files themselves. If other programs generate thumbnails for the 3ds files, your program will not display thumbnails correctly. Photoshop is one of those programs.

AUTOMATIC1111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
c80n:
Check the HKCR/.3ds/(Default) then. It should have the file "3dsfile" value, same as HKCR/.3dz/(Default) nearby.
HKCR/3dsfile/ShellEx/IconHander/(Default) should be {FC548317-B187-4404-B7EC-FA9EE87EFE84}, which is the GUID for my class, but since the icons for 3dz files display properly, it probably is already.

KennyMckormick

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AUTOMATIC1111, I've installed 1.2 and the .3dz icons show perfectly. However, my .3ds icons still do not show.

I think this is because my .3ds files are set to be opened with 3dsexplorer. Could you fix this?

c80n

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
c80n:
Check the HKCR/.3ds/(Default) then. It should have the file "3dsfile" value, same as HKCR/.3dz/(Default) nearby.
HKCR/3dsfile/ShellEx/IconHander/(Default) should be {FC548317-B187-4404-B7EC-FA9EE87EFE84}, which is the GUID for my class, but since the icons for 3dz files display properly, it probably is already.
3ds icons already show properly, but thanks anyway for the help. And thanks for the tool, as I said, it is incredibly useful.

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Windows 8, using CLASSIC START MENU app. Explorer.exe crashes as soon as I open any folder containing 3ds files

cinhomartins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you very much for this!! A must have for the obsessive collectors!

Absolutely lovely.

My comic books show up with thumbnails like this too. I love this.

Hey Purple Shyguy... could you share the name of that program too? That would make two nice additions for the day...
Thanks guys!

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you very much for this!! A must have for the obsessive collectors!

Hey Purple Shyguy... could you share the name of that program too? That would make two nice additions for the day...
Thanks guys!

Its 'CDisplayEX' program, its the best comic reader. The latest version shows comic covers in the .cbr file thumbnail.

I just hadn't updated it in years lol then when I did suddenly all my files had comic art!

Reactions: cinhomartins

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...