3DS Virus. Possible?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TehSkull, Oct 29, 2010.

?

Does this sound possible?

1. It may be possible.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, that's impossible.

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Possible, but Nintendo will prevent it.

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
Oct 29, 2010

3DS Virus. Possible? by TehSkull at 10:16 PM (14,711 Views / 0 Likes) 95 replies

1. TehSkull
    OP

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Since the 3DS can get game updates and, presumably, system updates from other 3DS's in the area, could it be possible when and if the 3DS gets hacked for someone to make a virus that spreads from 3DS to 3DS using system updates by simply appearing as 1 system menu ahead? Or do you think Nintendo has thought this through and prevented it?

2. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
  3. ollepoll

Member ollepoll GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Nothing is impossible, Ninty will say 3ds is unhackable, Ninty will block Virus, Ninty will pay for making that feature.

but we will mostly need the 3ds's keys for it which we probaply won't get that easily (we don't even have all of the wii yet)

4. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If someone can hack the encryptions used by the new 'bark mode' I don't think they'll be able to do anything like that... but it really depends... I don't think any code launched could be pure executable (that is, a bit of code that would be able to launch itself).... but that's not to say someone couldn't make a bit of code that could cause an exploit in a game (and indeed, that may be where the first round of exploits needed to run homebrew may come from) when you go to run the transmitted code... so it's not impossible, but it seems like the type of thing that would be easily patched...

An up to date 3DS firmware would more or less guarantee you protection from something like that.

5. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Everything is possible. Though most hacker prefer to write viruses targeting Windows or Mac.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    An unhacked 3DS won't accept unsigned code, it doesn't matter if the sending 3DS will or not.

7. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Heh, people who hack their 3DSs to run unsigned code become targets for viruses. Can't complain to Ninty for them wanting to prevent that which prevents the people from hacking their system.

8. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    yes. If they hack the Nintendo servers well yeah think about that.

9. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Virus =/= Hack

With people with your philosophy, 3DS will be "unhackeable".

10. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    That's the total point of an exploit [​IMG] The streetpass is a possible venue for future exploits so it IS a possibility.

11. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    In this case it's one and the same really, you couldn't execute a malicious programme on a 3DS without first being able to somehow make that 3DS run unsigned code.

12. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I don't really see the point. At all, it could be a good thing for hackers because it could "open" the 3DS a little.

But, like Rydian said, a 3DS will never run unsigned code. It's just like that.

13. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    “There has been a lot of speculation, and I believe there will continue to be a lot of speculation until the speculation ends" - George Walker Bush of New Haven, Connecticut

14. Rowan

Member Rowan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    never say never

15. dark2568

Newcomer dark2568 Newbie

Brazil
    The 3DS is like wii, if wii don´t get virus, the 3DS doesn´t get too.I belive it.

16. Dimensional

Member Dimensional GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If they learned from the Wii, they will have beefed up security in the 3DS. But if someone were to find some way to exploit a hole in that security and obfuscate the code that was used to make that exploit, then there would be a lot that homebrew developers can do.

Right now, all a flash cart needs to run in a certain mode, like DS mode, is the header of a game. That data is what allows a flash cart to run on the DSi so far. It's because the header makes the DSi think it's running a signed Nintendo game, and then suddenly the unsigned code comes in and loads something else.

Right now, this is all just speculation. Nobody really will know if it's possible to make a flash cart that will run on the 3DS because that handheld has yet to be released to the general public.

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @ Dimensional perhaps http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/ is worth a read.

I will second Rydian's response if not for security but for plain lack of desire to brick (corruption checking). If indeed they are going for viral updating (that is transmitted via some form of wireless protocol* and applied without warning) and all we have seen so far is correct said updates could be several megabytes in size (even with a patch format it could get tricky).

*I am curious about power usage.

What I would like to see is a viral (self propogating) hack using short range wireless communications, the closest I have ever seen to such a thing is stuff like the old bluetooth malware (Cabir and the stuff that worked along the same lines).

18. shadowsfm

Newcomer shadowsfm Advanced Member

United States
    i believe the only reason to make a virus for 3ds is to collect credit card information or steal 3ds shopping accounts. anyone that hacks the 3ds won't have that information in their system, because they steal games and people that don't hack it have up-to-date firmware, then there is no point for anyone to make viruses. and there wont be enough people that fall in the gray area to be able to spread the virus

19. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Just like playing games on wifi is a venue for exploits... but has that ever gotten us anything? [​IMG]

I doubt the 3DS will be able to do much when it's in sleep mode. Not nearly as much as it could do when it's fully running.

20. TehSkull
    OP

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    You're not getting what I mean by 1 system menu ahead. Say your 3DS is at version 1.2, and the latest Nintendo version is also 1.2. Your 3DS wouldn't know that the latest version is 1.2 without being connected to Wifi, so all a hacker would need to do is appear as version 1.3 for your 3DS to pick up on that fact and update immediately.

Now, I can already think of ways for Nintendo to kill this possibility, so don't take anything I say as fact, but still.