3DS stripped screw

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by CXNELP, Jul 15, 2017.

1. CXNELP
    OP

CXNELP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    Any good methods for removing a stripped screw from a 3ds? it's the last one and it's really pissing me off
    [​IMG]

Last edited by CXNELP, Jul 15, 2017
  2. SkyQueen

SkyQueen Arch3DS Developer || B0MBrHax

Apr 23, 2016
    Japan
    Seteguya-ku, Tokyo, Japan
    Break it? :o

3. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Drumal sanding wheel

4. jupitteer

jupitteer GBAtemp Lurker

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Inkopolis
    wide rubber band over the screw

linuxares likes this.
  5. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    There really isnt an easy way once it is stripped. Using a larger screwdriver helps, as well as a rubber band for added grip(not the best method). If you can access the sides of the screw needle nose pliers work amazing(i used this method for almost all stripped screws.) Simply grip the screw and turn it with the pliers

6. CXNELP
    OP

CXNELP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States

Here's a pic of the screw, it's in the top corner
    http://imgur.com/a/3HJqO

It's an internal screw so im not sure how i would get the rubberband all the way in there

Last edited by CXNELP, Jul 15, 2017
  7. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    That really only leaves the choice of a rubber band or larger screw driver

8. CXNELP
    OP

CXNELP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    how would i get a rubber band all the way in there though?

9. HugaTheFox

HugaTheFox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 11, 2017
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Cut it up... still pretty hard tho.

10. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    If you can get one, try a screw extractor bit, considering where the screw is located, it's your best option.

11. CXNELP
    OP

CXNELP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    you sure a drill is the safest option for a tiny screw in a handheld system?

12. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    You're options are very limited considering where the screw is. If you go very slowly it could work. If you'd rather not there are a plethora of other options suggested in this thread

13. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Try anything BUT breaking it, I had a stripped screw in my n3DS XL and I had to break to plastic.
    Needless to say, I got the screw out oh yeah I did, but the plastic broke off my touch screen's connector and almost sliced the touchscreen ribbon cable.

14. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    With just the right/enough speed and pressure is safe to use a screw extracting bit, considering the size and location of it. You won't be trying to drill all of it, only a little to allow the extracting bit to work.

Check some videos on YT, would give you an idea of how it can be done. Just remember, use only the necessary speed/pressure.

That location reduces your options a lot.

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There are a few ways.
    You could drill out the screw head, but getting the remaining part out afterwards might be a pain. At least you'd get the thing open though.
    There's also the famous trick of melting a pen and sticking it onto the screw, so it solidifies around the contours of the screw, but I don't know how well that will work on such a small screw, I've never tried it because it sounds like there's a lot of ways it can go wrong and even if it works you might end up with melted plastic remains around the screw hole that you can't get rid of. Plus burning plastic fumes are toxic.
    A screw extractor is probably a better option, they are designed for the purpose after all so if you're careful you should be able to get it out without damaging the 3DS (much)
    There are likely some other ways to jimmy rig it but a screw extractor is probably your best bet since it's designed for the purpose.
    Also, the link is broken, you linked to the imgur page instead of linking to the image.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jul 15, 2017
  16. Kevinpuerta

Kevinpuerta GBAtemp Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    A small hex screw driver

17. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Addict

Aug 5, 2007
    Depending on how bad the screw is stripped. You might be able to use a flat head screwdriver.

Also a method is to take a hammer and a screwdriver (NOT RECOMMENDED!!!) and hit it with decent moderation. Then you got new groves and the screwdriver should be stuck to the screw, so it's just to screw it out.