amtt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there,

I currently run a small manga scanlation (Fan translation) group and we were somewhat interested in doing 3ds Games also. At the moment just looking for requests as well as people who can handle everything but the translation since we will be doing that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I probably should link http://gbatemp.net/threads/densetsus-translation-toolbox.311523/ at this point as it will probably come up and "part of a scanlation group" means very little -- there are some folks doing great work in the fansub/scanlation community but there are also those not doing so well. Equally translating for ROM hacking comes with its own set of quirks, nothing insurmountable (mainly character limits and the usual oddities associated with game language) but something you might not be used to.

3ds ROM hacking is a bit early stage compared to older consoles and give or take this weekend's events the demand for such things is not necessarily the highest -- up until this weekend the public only way to run hacked games was to have a 3ds on an old firmware. This has kind of changed now but it might be a while before things level out. Such things are fine though (I have worked on any number of projects that someone and maybe a few of their mates will ever get a kick out of) but it does also mean you will be lacking tools to make your life easier -- disassemblers, knowledge of the formats, emulators you can* debug with... as well as people knowledgeable about the system** -- though it is similar to the GBA and DS, both of which are extensively hacked, it is still different enough that you will be breaking new ground half the time and 3dbrew is good but it is no http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm

*there is a commercial game booting emulator now, and when it comes to ROM hacking you do not need a fast emulator as much as one that works.

**most of it knowledge and theory is there/known already, it just needs someone to run the numbers and write the applied version of it.

It is always nice to see new translators and despite what I said above someone still has to be the first one to blaze a trail, personally I would prefer to do it on a system with a respectable game library but to each their own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning