Hardware 3DS R4 Card *Please Help! D=*

Crossfade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I've been looking around all day for an R4 card that works on the 3DS after being scammed (I believe) by R43DS.org. Much to my dismay it's appearing to be near impossible. I stumbled across links that led to this site multiple times and you guys seem pretty informed when it comes to 3DS cards. So I really just need some links to 100% legit sites (Paypal preferred but I guess not required =/ ) that won't take 5+ months to ship your item. I'm sorry if this in the wrong section or if I'm doing everything wrong but I'm entirely exhausted, I've searched over 30 R4 card sites but to no avail. Thank you in advance.

Crossfade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been to Shoptemp.com and they just link to other R4 sellers. I need a site that sells cards firsthand and are known to be legit. I checked out the Ndsicard.com link on the shoptemp banner. I looked them up and got 84% reliability
http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/ndsicard.com
and then another thread on this site saying they're known to be fake
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ndsicard-com-warning-or-suggestion.342529/
:wacko:
These are the difficulties that bother the heck out of me because another thread on here said that all links on shoptemp are safe. I'm sorry I'm so noobish about all this.

Crossfade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thank you so much, I noticed that this site was sponsored by nds-card.com June last year and is that still active? They seem legit but I get mixed reviews when looking them up. When did you buy from them and how long do they take?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I haven't bought from nds-card myself, but lots of people here have.

Most shops will physically ship from China because flash carts are Chinese goods. Any shop that's "in" the US (like realhotstuff) is a shop that imports to the US, and then resells to you. This tends to mean fast shipping, but also tends to mean higher prices.

Crossfade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I noticed that they don't take paypal and I'm a bit hesitant to send my credit card overseas... again. I found a thread where you mentioned this site: http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/home.php?cat=279
Every review I've found says they're great and considering they're US based and about the same price as NDS-Card would you recommend going for this just to err on the side of caution?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Paypal locks the accounts of, and takes the money of, sites that are found to sell flash carts. Paypal can do this because it's not legally a bank, and isn't under the same regulations (so a "bribe" doesn't exist since they're not a government-regulated entity). Because of this, most flash cart shops have stopped taking paypal publicly. Most of them need you to e-mail them for the info and jump through hoops like that.

ANYWAYS, If modchipcentral is still taking paypal it'd be fine for get a DSTwo, it's just they have a limited selection and the only cart they sell that's still suggested is the DSTwo.

Crossfade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, what is a DSTwo? If I want to use the card to play DS, GBA, SNES, NES, and GBC what card would I need? I've seen R4, R4i-Gold, and now DSTwo and I have no idea what the difference between any of them. As long as it can emulate the aforementioned systems I'll be happy.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Wait, what is a DSTwo? If I want to use the card to play DS, GBA, SNES, NES, and GBC what card would I need? I've seen R4, R4i-Gold, and now DSTwo and I have no idea what the difference between any of them. As long as it can emulate the aforementioned systems I'll be happy.
All flash carts do DS games, NES, and GBC.

GBA and SNES however, cannot be emulated 100% due to various technical reasons (the DS has eight year old hardware, and it was outdated hardware the day it came out). Your best bet is the DSTwo because it, unlike all the R4-named flash carts, has an onboard CPU that allows it to do better emulation than the DS itself can do, so it can do SNES and GBA to an extent. But it's not perfect. Many games run below fullspeed, some games don't work at all, etc.

http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get
http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-supercard-dstwo-beginners-guide-how-to-setup-the-dstwo.290190/

If you want emulation, do not get a DS. The DS is weak shit for emulation of anything past NES/GBC. It doesn't matter if it's a DSi or a 3DS, flash carts can only work in DS-mode and only have access to the power of an original DS.

Crossfade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that was a lot of new info, Thanks. Okay, so just to be clear, for best DS emulation I should buy this:
http://www.modchipcentral.com/store...o-w-free-usb-reader-and-usb-charge-cable.html
I want a 3DS mainly because I want to play Pokemon and the new Zelda so I'm looking to stay on this system.
Yes, that's the DSTwo, and here's the latest GBA and SNES emulators for it.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tempgba-ndsgba-revival.343210/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ndssfc-catsfc-revival.339600/

Just out of curiosity, why can't flashcards access the power of the 3ds?
Because the 3DS has not publicly been hacked yet. The only reason flash carts still run on it is because the 3DS can put itself into a backwards-compatibility mode for DS stuff, and DS flash carts are a form of DS stuff, so the 3DS only gives them access to the power of the original 2004-model DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to...