Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reaper527

reaper527 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    it's all relative. i don't have any doubts that current mid to high end gaming machines could emulate an x360. that being said, it's a moot point since there isn't any emulator available at all, nevermind something stable and efficiently written. the problem with emulating the x360 isn't the limitations of current hardware.

2. spotanjo3

spotanjo3 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal

It was dated in Dec 2012...

Source:

ps3hax.net

3. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    You'd be surprised

4. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    That was false, the person reporting it pulled it out of their ass, the author said no such thing in any source or link or anything I've been able to find.

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    On top of the fact there is very little publicly available documentation on the 3DS

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Cubi™ Devilishly good looking

Antarctica
    No and all of them on youtube are fake as well.

At this rate it would be a better idea to buy a 3DS (or 2DS) and either buy the games or use a Gateway 3DS, because there doesn't look like there's a 3DS emulator anytime in the near future.
    Dems the breaks.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    I beg to differ, to be honest. There's definitely more of it out there than in most cases and I can't see why the system couldn't be emulated in the very forseeable future. The specs definitely aren't a problem - what it's going to take now is research and dedication. It's not going to be full speed right off the bat, by no means, but I can imagine projects popping up within a couple of years. ;)

the_randomizer likes this.
  8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States

Oh sorry, I was probably thinking of the N64 documentation :rofl2:

9. Kakkoii

Kakkoii Old fart

Canada
    That shows a lack of understanding about CPU architecture and how it has advanced since the 360 came out. The highest end current i7 CPU can barely do a quarter of the FLOPS the 360 CPU can do. CPUs have stagnated over the past 6 years, they haven't had any major breakthroughs that have led to a significant performance increase, just relying on die shrinks (and the FINFET process that helped a tiny bit). Sure, maybe in 20 years we might be able to run a 360/PS3 emulator, only if we manage to get carbon nano-tube processors working in full scale or manage to get quantum computers working in a realistic setting.

Also, emulation is an exponential problem. The performance ratio you need exponentially rises with each generation of console.

And as has been mentioned, the GPU in the original Xbox was a custom designed ASIC between MS and Nvidia. While the Xbox One and PS4 are using a standard consumer GPU and CPU, nothing unique about them that would need to be taken into account and emulated. (Plus, since both consoles are using the same CPU and similar GPU, that's two emulator scenes working on the same problems) Hell, the Xbox One will even be using DirectX11.2 and a branch of Windows 8 built specifically for the console. If you check out CXBC's website, it's only the GPU and custom sound chip Nvidia made that are holding them back. They were able to get direct execution of the x86 instructions working and conversion of the Xbox game format to a windows executable.
    http://www.caustik.com/cxbx/progress.htm

A few retail games are actually playable even.

10. MrAnalysis

MrAnalysis Member
    Banned

Just buy the games and consoles and get a capture card if you want to play on the big screen.

11. kyogre123
    This message by kyogre123 has been removed from public view by Costello, Oct 10, 2013, Reason: If you are being serious, GTFO. If not, this is really not the place to be making such posts. Use th.
    Oct 10, 2013
  12. MrAnalysis
    This message by MrAnalysis has been removed from public view by Costello, Oct 10, 2013, Reason: reply to deleted post.
    Oct 10, 2013
  13. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Mexico
    Did the mod really went all apeshit because of my post?

14. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Brazil
    The title is a bit misleading ...It could attract some uninformed people that will want some download links..

15. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Bangladesh
    The price will go up, we can't run out unless we stopped planting it.
    More demand = higher price = same amount of product

@OnTopic
    3DS emulation is far out right now... especially considering the Gateway team might have the decapping funds.

16. Osha

Osha Weh

France
    I believe DS and 3DS capture cards create latency because the video isn't processed quickly enough on the PC, so unless you can deal with it, it's not really a good idea.

17. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Mexico
    I believe it is the capture card the one processing the video. When I used that homebrew that allowed playing the PSP while watching the screen on a computer, it always run smoothly even though my PC lacks a good video processor.

18. kaputnik

kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

Speaking of that, the original Xbox was basically a Pentium III/Celeron, with a somewhat modified Geforce 2 chipset, running a stripped down version of the Win2k kernel, if I remember the details right. You'd think it would be relatively easy to emulate it, and still there's only a few pretty primitive emulators out there.

Sure, it might be a question of lacking interest, but I still find it pretty curious, especially since there are highly developed emulators of the other consoles from that generation.

19. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

United States
    This thread needs an immediate nuke. Homebrew isn't really available yet for the 3DS. So how in the world would one expect an emulator to be built? One needs to run code and such to debug the console and find out how it works and runs games. Until there's widespread homebrew on the 3DS. DO NOT EVER expect there to be a emulator!

20. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

United States
    /thread

21. Kakkoii

Kakkoii Old fart

Canada
    Read my second reply in this thread...

22. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

United States
    [​IMG]

seems legit

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - emulator,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.