Gaming 3DS or psp2 for the win

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made my main argument way back in this thread, but I find it hilarious everybody is whining about the 3DS price when knowing Sony it is a guarantee that the PSP2 will be a lot more expensive for a lot more unfulfilled promise. Let's not forget the original PSP and PSP Go both launched at $250.

You're playing 3D games, taking 3D pictures, and taking/watching 3D video (eventually) for $250. That's a good deal in my book. Anybody who thought it was going to be 200 or less was pretty delusional.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Can't see how this argument can be valid at all seeing there's absolutely no info on the PSP2 than rumors and speculations. No released features or games or specs for it, just rumors and whispers. It's like asking me if New York City is better than El Dorado. Not really a valid selection of options since El Dorado is a myth.
Yes it is very odd to compare something we know a fair bit about to something that we've only heard abit of rumors of.
Anyway PSP was tried very hard at, but people just aren't intrested in sony handhelds as much as nintendo handhelds.
I think becuase most the sony audience prefer the ps3.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
mysticwaterfall said:
I made my main argument way back in this thread, but I find it hilarious everybody is whining about the 3DS price when knowing Sony it is a guarantee that the PSP2 will be a lot more expensive for a lot more unfulfilled promise. Let's not forget the original PSP and PSP Go both launched at $250.

You're playing 3D games, taking 3D pictures, and taking/watching 3D video (eventually) for $250. That's a good deal in my book. Anybody who thought it was going to be 200 or less was pretty delusional.

I bet on $230 minimum and $250 maximum. But check this, you get some freebies with the system including AR game cards, charging dock, and a 2GB card. In total that should cost at most $20 so it is like you are getting a 3DS for like $230 which is very reasonable
smile.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
Yes it is very odd to compare something we know a fair bit about to something that we've only heard abit of rumors of.
Anyway PSP was tried very hard at, but people just aren't intrested in sony handhelds as much as nintendo handhelds.

The PSP is still an amazing handheld. It may not have the same quantity as the 3DS but by god, it has quality. I'd say people aren't as interested in Sony's handheld(s) as Nintendo, but mind you Nintendo has had a monopoly on the market since forever. All other competitors sunk pretty hard, the PSP was at least decent competition and still has some incredible games for it. My recent resurgence of PSP gaming has really made me believe in how great it is.

As for the whole "PSP2 will be so much money", I doubt it. Sony's a pretty smart company. They definitely made some turnarounds with the PS3 in the forms of the Slim, and the PS3 is more popular than ever. Odds are they'll sell the PSP2 at a lower price than the 3DS, even if they lose money from it. Like they did with the Slim, they'll rely on lower pricing to get people to buy the software. If someone goes to the store and sees a brand new PSP2 on the shelf right near a new 3DS, and sees the PSP2 going for $50 cheaper, they may just nab that PSP2 because it's cheaper. And then they'll buy games for it, and continue buying games. Sony has realized that they won't be able to win the handheld wars without getting a huge edge over Nintendo, that edge being price. Sure, the PSP definitely had a library to compete, but the PSP launched at such a higher price that people would much rather buy the cheaper DS.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
mysticwaterfall said:

I bet on $230 minimum and $250 maximum. But check this, you get some freebies with the system including AR game cards, charging dock, and a 2GB card. In total that should cost at most $20 so it is like you are getting a 3DS for like $230 which is very reasonable
smile.gif

I never thought about it like that!
biggrin.gif

Guild McCommunist said:
QUOTE(FireGrey @ Jan 25 2011, 05:17 AM)

The PSP is still an amazing handheld. It may not have the same quantity as the 3DS but by god, it has quality. I'd say people aren't as interested in Sony's handheld(s) as Nintendo, but mind you Nintendo has had a monopoly on the market since forever. All other competitors sunk pretty hard, the PSP was at least decent competition and still has some incredible games for it. My recent resurgence of PSP gaming has really made me believe in how great it is.

As for the whole "PSP2 will be so much money", I doubt it. Sony's a pretty smart company. They definitely made some turnarounds with the PS3 in the forms of the Slim, and the PS3 is more popular than ever. Odds are they'll sell the PSP2 at a lower price than the 3DS, even if they lose money from it. Like they did with the Slim, they'll rely on lower pricing to get people to buy the software. If someone goes to the store and sees a brand new PSP2 on the shelf right near a new 3DS, and sees the PSP2 going for $50 cheaper, they may just nab that PSP2 because it's cheaper. And then they'll buy games for it, and continue buying games. Sony has realized that they won't be able to win the handheld wars without getting a huge edge over Nintendo, that edge being price. Sure, the PSP definitely had a library to compete, but the PSP launched at such a higher price that people would much rather buy the cheaper DS.
All this is true, but psp2 slim might have to come out first, to drop lower then the 3DS...

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
If someone goes to the store and sees a brand new PSP2 on the shelf right near a new 3DS, and sees the PSP2 going for $50 cheaper, they may just nab that PSP2 because it's cheaper. And then they'll buy games for it, and continue buying games. Sony has realized that they won't be able to win the handheld wars without getting a huge edge over Nintendo, that edge being price. Sure, the PSP definitely had a library to compete, but the PSP launched at such a higher price that people would much rather buy the cheaper DS.

With how spec happy Sony is, coinciding with the rumored features, I think it would be impossible for the psp2 to launch at less then the 3DS without them taking a significant loss on each unit. Sony can eat a small loss, sure, but not that big of one to support a $200 unit at launch.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:
All this is true, but psp2 slim might have to come out first, to drop lower then the 3DS...

I'm pretty sure they'd just drop the pricing of the original PSP2 to make it lower than the 3DS... I don't really get what your point is.
Around that time the 3DS would probably drop lower, the same time it be cheaper to make these things.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
The DS sold very well. So did the PSP. One my have done better, but that doesn't mean 2nd place is the first loser.

There's nothing wrong with a little healthy competition. If there was no competition, then as consumers, we'd sadly get the bad end of the stick.
Normally I would agree with you....but Nintendo went a while with no real competition in the handheld market and they still pushed forward and kept things fresh (although the gba era did last a while)

Still competition is good.....

(I'm suprised I haven't been labeled a fanboy with the things I've been saying on this thread)...which I'm not

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BloodyFlame said:
Dick_Gumshoe said:
its all about the money,pal

Your name... it matches with what you said.

ON-TOPIC: $250 sounds right for the 3DS. It has newer technology, which means more money for parts and more money for labor(?). PSP2 will probably cost just as much, if not more.
It's called roleplay. You should try it sometime.

Also, I have a feeling one of two things will happens. 1. I'll get a PSP2 for Birth by Sleep Vol 2, 2. I'll get a PSP2 about 6 months before a PSP3 is announced. (I just got a PSP in November ;__;)

codmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the PSP2 has 3G,Updated graphics and dual analogs,I will be getting it
Though,The 3DS has Virtual Console and the awesome 3D effect

Tough Choice
unsure.gif

I would say PSP2 because of dual analog games like COD
and because Sony has better online games than Nintendo
And no currently launch title is good
and i say LAUNCH TITLE no OoT and Mario kart 3DS,those will come out in about 3 weeks of the 3DS launch

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Veho said:
BlueStar said:
Technology may improve, the size of human hands and pockets aint gonna change.
Did you see the size of some of those Android phones? They're friggin huge.

Yes, I've got one myself, which means I'm also aware of the problems this causes.

QUOTE said:
The dimensions of the phone are designed to minimise the trade-off of having a massive screen, but it only partly works.

Yes, the thin frame makes it nice to hold in the hand, but in the normal portrait mode it's still nigh on impossible to reach the top of the screen without jiggling the phone around in your hand

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mo...w#ixzz1C2OHM5Hc

So the trade of of having a huge screen (in this case more for showing video) is that it impacts on its usefulness in terms of holding it in one hand and using it as a phone. And that's a review by a big handed American, in the homeland of the DS and PSP ranges, this is something that will be even more pronounced.

QUOTEAnd as for the need for buttons, you could either design the phone to incorporate buttons without adding to the size (the trivial solution being to stick some buttons to the screen. Or an analog stick), or just focus on games that can be played by tilting the phone and tapping the enemies on the head (like Diablo) on a touch screen. Consoles became a massive success despite focusing only on genres that could be played with a gamepad. And later on more genres started trickling in. Part of it might be the bloody-minded willingness of people to play certain games on their system no matter how unsuited or downright bad the control scheme might be. Like FPS games on consoles.

Again, adding controls over the top of the screen covers up some of the viewing area and you're going to have to make some kind of trade off between the size of your phone and the crampedness of your hands. And while people do play all kinds of unsuited games on consoles, it hasn't mean the complete obsolescence of the PC as a gaming platform, which is what we're talking about in terms of there supposedly being 'no successor' to the 3DS and PSP2.

The biggest problem with phones as game platforms is that there's over 9000 operating systems and hardware versions and things, creating way too many incompatible combinations, meaning that, with the notable exception of the iPhone (and not even it is immune to it), any single version of a game has a target market of three people. Phones (or "personal digital pocket phone-PDA-MID-thingy-convergence-devices") will stand a chance once they actually become a single platform, and not "every man for himself".

And this is going to be one of the main problems you have in terms of mobile games. When you buy the 3DS, you know it's going to have a fixed lifespan. Over the course of the life of the console, developers are going to push the machine harder and harder and get more and more impressive games out of it. Five or six year down the line, everyone will switch to the next model. Handsets are coming out at the rate of several a month, all with different specs and games developers need to appeal to a range of people with phones of different ages, at different stages in their contract. This means that when you get your new phone, with xxx operating system, xxx amount of ram, the vast majority of games available to you are simply not going to take advantage of your system, so as not to exclude people on older models. At the same time, when you're coming to the end of your contract, you're going to find the most cutting edge games might be slow and unplayable on your handset.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
BlueStar said:
Again, adding controls over the top of the screen covers up some of the viewing area and you're going to have to make some kind of trade off between the size of your phone and the crampedness of your hands. And while people do play all kinds of unsuited games on consoles, it hasn't mean the complete obsolescence of the PC as a gaming platform, which is what we're talking about in terms of there supposedly being 'no successor' to the 3DS and PSP2.I'm not saying gaming phones will force handheld consoles out of buisiness, I'm saying they are, potentially, a valid gaming platform, especially since a lot of phone and software developers are trying to make them such. And, just like the PC, they can exist alongside handheld consoles, because similar tradeoffs apply. A $500 MID will never replace a $150 handheld console, but if enough people already bought a $500 MID, you might as well make it possible to play games on it.

QUOTE(BlueStar @ Jan 25 2011, 10:38 AM) And this is going to be one of the main problems you have in terms of mobile games. When you buy the 3DS, you know it's going to have a fixed lifespan. Over the course of the life of the console, developers are going to push the machine harder and harder and get more and more impressive games out of it. Five or six year down the line, everyone will switch to the next model. Handsets are coming out at the rate of several a month, all with different specs and games developers need to appeal to a range of people with phones of different ages, at different stages in their contract. This means that when you get your new phone, with xxx operating system, xxx amount of ram, the vast majority of games available to you are simply not going to take advantage of your system, so as not to exclude people on older models. At the same time, when you're coming to the end of your contract, you're going to find the most cutting edge games might be slow and unplayable on your handset.
But that's the same kind of problems the PC faces as a gaming platform. Except the OS thing (and now that smartphones are either Android or iPhones, it's becoming less of a problem). There's different, incompatible hardware, DirectX VS OpenGL, wild amounts of RAM, there's people with obsolete computers, and people with state of the art gaming rigs, and the game companies aren notorious for excluding older models when they develop new titles. Sure, there's the less graphically taxing games, but AAA titles still demand a graphics card less than half a year old and a truckload of RAM, and there's always enough people that have compatible hardware for those games to sell well. Once enough people have smartphones, at any given time enough people will have new smartphones.

On the other hand, most newer phones have graphics hardware that can only be described as "insanely overpowered", even compared to gaming handhelds. Meaning there's a good chance a phone at the end of its contract will still be able to churn out impressive graphics (expanding the target market). If graphics is what you need.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
The main difference with PC gaming is that you can go out at any time and upgrade one aspect of your system, rather than being tied down on a contract and having to use the exact same spec until you're due an upgrade. At the moment I've got an HTC Hero, hardly an old phone, and games like Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds take an absolute age to load and become juddery when there's too much going on.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
BlueStar said:
The main difference with PC gaming is that you can go out at any time and upgrade one aspect of your system, rather than being tied down on a contract and having to use the exact same spec until you're due an upgrade.
True, but I used the PC comparison to show that developers will gladly exclude the portion of population with older hardware and force them to either upgrade or bugger off, and it's still a valid business model once the target market is large enough.
As for the Angry Birds, I would love to place all the blame on HTC and Android (because I really dislike them both), but in this case I'll say that those "catapult stuff at other stuff" games get jittery even on desktop PCs, especially when there's a lot of stuff falling down, and blame the lazy coders for that one
nyanya.gif

Dick_Gumshoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
BloodyFlame said:
Dick_Gumshoe said:
its all about the money,pal

Your name... it matches with what you said.

ON-TOPIC: $250 sounds right for the 3DS. It has newer technology, which means more money for parts and more money for labor(?). PSP2 will probably cost just as much, if not more.
It's called roleplay. You should try it sometime.

Also, I have a feeling one of two things will happens. 1. I'll get a PSP2 for Birth by Sleep Vol 2, 2. I'll get a PSP2 about 6 months before a PSP3 is announced. (I just got a PSP in November ;__;)

same with me, i just got my psp a year ago, n i got a nds in november, n i dont want to buy a new handheld ,coz i dont have much time to playin much game beyond my busy day in work.

Roxasorg13

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
HEY MATES
IM A NINTENDO FAN..yeah ...but lets think this way...

PSP WAS ALWAYS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN DS......WHAT WOULD YA SAY IF IT COSTS..400$, and the price isnt all...the titles...3ds titles are..a little..shitty.. but the titles we saw before like mgs3, OOT, KID IKARUS, KINGDOM HEARTS ETCETERA ETCETERA...

i think 3ds is in the right way...just the price and the launch titles...but in general spects...its better..why? cuz for me..the important thing is the satisfaction..not the graphics or power...example??:
PHOENIX WRIGHT...PROFESSOR LAYTON...THE NEW GHOST TRICK...

BUT HERE OUR OPINNIION DOESNT MATTER..WE ALL HAVE DIFERENTS TOUGHTS

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Roxasorg13 said:
HEY MATES
IM A NINTENDO FAN..yeah ...but lets think this way...

PSP WAS ALWAYS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN DS......WHAT WOULD YA SAY IF IT COSTS..400$, and the price isnt all...the titles...3ds titles are..a little..shitty.. but the titles we saw before like mgs3, OOT, KID IKARUS, KINGDOM HEARTS ETCETERA ETCETERA...

i think 3ds is in the right way...just the price and the launch titles...but in general spects...its better..why? cuz for me..the important thing is the satisfaction..not the graphics or power...example??:
PHOENIX WRIGHT...PROFESSOR LAYTON...THE NEW GHOST TRICK...

BUT HERE OUR OPINNIION DOESNT MATTER..WE ALL HAVE DIFERENTS TOUGHTS

must you shout with caps!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.