Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
my two games of which I want to keep the saves are retail, though, not backups.
also my gateway is faulty and it can't read the microsd :P so no backup roms for me.

so, unless there's a way to convert retail games' saves from < 6.x to >= 6.x, I'll have to keep using the gateway to play them, and my two questions remain:

thanks again for the help.
Why do you need Gateway to play them if they are retail cartridges? What are you even using Gateway for?

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why do you need Gateway to play them if they are retail cartridges? What are you even using Gateway for?

well, my gateway used to be fully functional, so I did play some backup roms >_>
now the whole point of keeping to use it is to not lose my retail games' saves. I know I'm missing out on a lot of things by not using the new, better CFW, but really, my saves take priority. I'm ok with this situation.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
well, my gateway used to be fully functional, so I did play some backup roms >_>
now the whole point of keeping to use it is to not lose my retail games' saves. I know I'm missing out on a lot of things by not using the new, better CFW, but really, my saves take priority. I'm ok with this situation.
Just make a backup before you update, and if the saves don't work then you can restore it. You don't even need to do hardly anything in the steps I told you. Simply follow https://3ds.guide to the letter (except add in make a NAND backup before updating your system).

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just make a backup before you update, and if the saves don't work then you can restore it. You don't even need to do hardly anything in the steps I told you. Simply follow https://3ds.guide to the letter (except add in make a NAND backup before updating your system).

but I'm, like, 99.9% sure that they won't work. I have sysnand at version 4.1 and emunand at a version > 6.x, so my saves use the old encryption and they won't work anymore if I update sysnand to > 6.x. I've read this in several places. (and also, I don't want to run the risk of them getting automatically deleted or something, as soon as the console sees they have the wrong encryption).

edit: I found this thread where some people say it's possible to extract retail games' saves with the old encryption and re-import them with the new one once you updated sysnand to > 6.x. maybe I'll look into it.

Last edited by tyons,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
but I'm, like, 99.9% sure that they won't work. I have sysnand at version 4.1 and emunand at a version > 6.x, so my saves use the old encryption and they won't work anymore if I update sysnand to > 6.x. I've read this in several places. (and also, I don't want to run the risk of them getting automatically deleted or something, as soon as the console sees they have the wrong encryption).
I'm pretty sure if you export the saves with JKSM you can import them into any console no matter the firmware.
In any case if you keep NAND backups of both emuNAND and sysNAND you can easily go back to how things are now (except using B9S and Luma instead of Gateway). You could even restore sysNAND and emuNAND, and uninstall B9S, and really go back to how things are now (it wouldn't make a difference though since you're using retail cartridges).
And no files are going to get deleted unless you delete them. If you want, copy your Nintendo 3DS folder to your computer so you can assure yourself of that.
In the end it is up to you, if you want to stay on Gateway with an outdated emuNAND you can, but as you can see, you aren't going to get any help when you have issues because it's no longer a normal setup and people aren't familiar with it and the common problems people can have and their solutions.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm pretty sure if you export the saves with JKSM you can import them into any console no matter the firmware.
In any case if you keep NAND backups of both emuNAND and sysNAND you can easily go back to how things are now (except using B9S and Luma instead of Gateway). You could even restore sysNAND and emuNAND, and uninstall B9S, and really go back to how things are now (it wouldn't make a difference though since you're using retail cartridges).
And no files are going to get deleted unless you delete them. If you want, copy your Nintendo 3DS folder to your computer so you can assure yourself of that.
In the end it is up to you, if you want to stay on Gateway with an outdated emuNAND you can, but as you can see, you aren't going to get any help when you have issues because it's no longer a normal setup and people aren't familiar with it and the common problems people can have and their solutions.

ok, thanks. yeah I thought that JKSM could only export GW saves and not retail games' saves.

btw, how can I install JKSM if my gateway can't read the microsd? you told me to install it by using FBI, which goes on the microsd.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
ok, thanks. yeah I thought that JKSM could only export GW saves and not retail games' saves.

btw, how can I install JKSM if my gateway can't read the microsd? you told me to install it by using FBI, which goes on the microsd.
Use FBI.3ds to install JKSM.cia, if you want to do it while still using Gateway mode. Or you can wait until after you've installed B9S and Luma and you'll have access to FBI from Rosalina.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Use FBI.3ds to install JKSM.cia, if you want to do it while still using Gateway mode. Or you can wait until after you've installed B9S and Luma and you'll have access to FBI from Rosalina.

oh, so I can export and re-import the saves after having installed the new CFW? I guess it makes sense.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

ok, I've completed that guide and installed luma and all the other stuff.
the guide also made me install a .cia called "Checkpoint" that is a save manager. is that one good or do I have to install JKSM instead?

p.s. sorry for the double post but you wouldn't have gotten a notification if I had just modifed the other post >_>

Last edited by tyons,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
ok, I've completed that guide and installed luma and all the other stuff.
the guide also made me install a .cia called "Checkpoint" that is a save manager. is that one good or do I have to install JKSM instead?

p.s. sorry for the double post but you wouldn't have gotten a notification if I had just modifed the other post >_>
Checkpoint is fine, I'm pretty sure it can do everything JKSM does. It only came out recently and I never remember that that's the normal one now, still used to JKSM :-p

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Checkpoint is fine, I'm pretty sure it can do everything JKSM does. It only came out recently and I never remember that that's the normal one now, still used to JKSM :-p

I tried using Checkpoint but it doesn't show the retail game in the grid... I'll try using JKSM. fingers crossed...

Last edited by tyons,

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

JKSM said "error opening save archive" when I chose "cartridge -> save data options".
I tried opening the game (bravely default) to see if it was needed to do once for JKSM to work, and... it didn't tell me anything about corrupted saves, it just shows three empty save slots. did I just erase my save?

nkdx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok so I ended up CTRTransfering my n3DS from usa to eur region. But now I cant play out of region games, only EUR ones. For example I had downloaded the US version of Rythm Heaven Megamix and the EUR version of MK7, now only MK7 works. I had also installed the US version of Flipnote Studio (the original dsi version) and it doesnt load anymore, although all my other ds games do. Any Ideas ?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
JKSM said "error opening save archive" when I chose "cartridge -> save data options".
I tried opening the game (bravely default) to see if it was needed to do once for JKSM to work, and... it didn't tell me anything about corrupted saves, it just shows three empty save slots. did I just erase my save?
I don't know...... restore your SD card backup and see if it comes back, if not also restore your emuNAND backup (to sysNAND), if not then make an emuNAND and restore your sysNAND and emuNAND backups to the appropriate places.

Assuming it comes back, maybe make a thread detailing what happened and hopefully someone who remembers about this stuff will see it and help.

nkdx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok so I ended up CTRTransfering my n3DS from usa to eur region. But now I cant play out of region games, only EUR ones. For example I had downloaded the US version of Rythm Heaven Megamix and the EUR version of MK7, now only MK7 works. I had also installed the US version of Flipnote Studio (the original dsi version) and it doesnt load anymore, although all my other ds games do. Any Ideas ?
Btw im the guy who wanted to play with my brother but had two different region 3DS's

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
I succesfully flashed my R4 GOLD and installed b9s. So that means i can use that flashcard for any 3DS version (Old, New, 2ds, xl, etc) and any software version, right?

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I searched with google and it seems it's okay, but I'll ask it here anyway since the experts are here:

is it 100% ok to use, for the 3ds, a microsd with an sd adapter instead of a normal sd?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I searched with google and it seems it's okay, but I'll ask it here anyway since the experts are here:

is it 100% ok to use, for the 3ds, a microsd with an sd adapter instead of a normal sd?
Yes. The 3ds or any device in general see no difference between adapter + mSD and normally SD.

Reactions: tyons

Nova13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, all. I am not as much as a noob to exploits, but I am a noob to CFW. So, I just got this New 2DS XL to replace my old 3DS XL (2012-2017, it broke...) And I am thinking about installing Sighax to it. I heard it has a high chance of bricking a console, so I was wondering something. If I do not have a hardmod, and I brick my N2DS doing this, can it be unbricked in any way? BTW, it's firmware is 11.4.0-37U

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol