• Likes 43

Mordin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi,
I've just bought an o3DS with 2.1.0-4E firmware. What do i have to do now to hack it? Do i need to get a game with 11.0.0 (or 11.2.0) firmware and update the system from cart and then follow this guide https://3ds.guide ? Wouldn't it be better to first install arm9loaderhax since im on 2.1 anyway and then update from some game? Do i even need to update after installing arm9? Are then any other options to update system fw without game carts?

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I've just bought an o3DS with 2.1.0-4E firmware. What do i have to do now to hack it? Do i need to get a game with 11.0.0 (or 11.2.0) firmware and update the system from cart and then follow this guide https://3ds.guide ? Wouldn't it be better to first install arm9loaderhax since im on 2.1 anyway and then update from some game? Do i even need to update after installing arm9? Are then any other options to update system fw without game carts?
Just follow the guide. It'll tell you where to go, depending on which firmware your on. But yeah, because your on 2.1, the guide will just take you to installing A9LH.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm about to mod a N3DS that's on 2.1 and has no NAND backup (don't ask - not my fault). I know I must do 9.2 ctrtransfer, but how do I tell which region this console is from? Under the back plate there's no serial sticker like on my N3DS XL so I'm a bit confused.

Mordin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just to be completely sure, following this https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax is the only needed thing for my fw? One more question regarding internet connection. I dont want to get any auto-updates from nintendo, but i cant get into internet settings because i have to connect to a hotspot first. If i connect to the internet, will I get update message immediately?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Just to be completely sure, following this https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax is the only needed thing for my fw? One more question regarding internet connection. I dont want to get any auto-updates from nintendo, but i cant get into internet settings because i have to connect to a hotspot first. If i connect to the internet, will I get update message immediately?

Well you need to follow the guide from the beginning, not from that part but yes if you're on 11.2 or less. Update nag does not matter because the console will not update without your permission. There is literally nothing to fear with "auto-updates" because they don't exist. And A9LH works with 11.3 anyway so updating does not remove CFW.

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm about to mod a N3DS that's on 2.1 and has no NAND backup (don't ask - not my fault). I know I must do 9.2 ctrtransfer, but how do I tell which region this console is from? Under the back plate there's no serial sticker like on my N3DS XL so I'm a bit confused.
I think you can find some hints if you look at the back of the battery

Mordin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well you need to follow the guide from the beginning, not from that part but yes if you're on 11.2 or less. Update nag does not matter because the console will not update without your permission. There is literally nothing to fear with "auto-updates" because they don't exist. And A9LH works with 11.3 anyway so updating does not remove CFW.
Well this is the beginning of the guide for 2.1 or maybe im missing something?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well this is the beginning of the guide for 2.1 or maybe im missing something?

No I just didn't see your post above my own question to this thread. If you're on 2.1 then yes that's what you follow and only that. Once you've installed A9LH you need to restore your system using your NAND backup - but do you have one? Did the console come with one? If not then to my understanding you can update the console straight to 11.3 if you like because it's an o3DS, but if updating doesn't work then follow 9.2 ctrtransfer.

Mordin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No I just didn't see your post above my own question to this thread. If you're on 2.1 then yes that's what you follow and only that. Once you've installed A9LH you need to restore your system using your NAND backup - but do you have one? Did the console come with one? If not then to my understanding you can update the console straight to 11.3 if you like because it's an o3DS, but if updating doesn't work then follow 9.2 ctrtransfer.
It's a factory new console with 2.1.0-4E on board. I dont have any NAND backup (guess it will be created by following the guide?). So i dont even have to get a game cart with 11.2? Will freeshop work on 11.3?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It's a factory new console with 2.1.0-4E on board. I dont have any NAND backup (guess it will be created by following the guide?). So i dont even have to get a game cart with 11.2? Will freeshop work on 11.3?

You know they don't make consoles on 2.1 firmware anymore? Factory new doesn't sound right.

No, a NAND backup would've been created when you downgraded to 2.1 so you had your initial firmware to fall back to. But because you don't have a NAND backup it means that once you've installed A9LH the only thing you CAN do is try to update the system from system settings. Updating from system settings cannot be done on N3DS consoles but yours is O3DS so it should work .. Note - should, because I've read multiple times about users who say they can't update from system settings when they're on 2.1. So if that happens you must do ctrtransfer to 9.2.

Of course freeShop works on 11.3 .. why wouldn't it? FBI works on 11.3 so will all custom apps you install to it as well with FBI. The only exception is Homebrew launcher because the payload does not work with 11.3 but it'll be updated .. eventually .. maybe. Or maybe not .. they say it doesn't look good for O3DS. You don't need HBLauncher anyways tho.

Last edited by Distrance,

Mordin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Umm, yes it is new. It's an old stock. o3ds were sold dirty cheap about 6 months ago and i just got one myself. It's an advantage of living in a country where people don't buy a lot of nintendo products :P. I'm still suspictious of 11.3, I'll probably get a game with 11.0 and install it. Free shop is accesible from older firmwares?

Mordin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I dont wanna break anything so please clarify this to me. I have to:
1 install arm9loader
2 install and configure luma3ds
3 skip section 4 (restoring the system) since I started with stock 2.1 (is it possible to do a backup of 2.1 now, just to be safe?)
4 system update to 11.3 (9.2 ctrtransfer if update doesnt work)
5 inject fbi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBFP_T5XHU