• Views 4,526,422
  • Replies 53,797
  • Likes 43

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I successfully got my n3DS XL modded (thanks!) and now I'd like to get an Old 3DS XL (USA - 9.2.0 on sysnand) modded as well.
Thing is, I already set up rxtools on it a year ago. At least, I think it was a year ago since everything on the SD card points to Oct 2015.
Unfortunately, I can't remember which guide I followed. The only things I'm certain of are 1) it required the old Gateway browser exploit 2) messing about with various .bin files 3) nothing was updated since the initial mod - this includes FBI, any sort of homebrew launcher, sysnand, emunand, or rxtools. I don't think any downgrading was involved.

As I said, I'd like to move the Old 3DS from a sysnand/emunand rxtools set up to A9HL/Luma. I know there is a guide here for that, but it specifically avoids A9HL, which I want. I'm not entirely sure if I should follow Plailect's guide as if this were a fresh, unhacked 3DS or not.
My main concerns are:
- What old hacks installed could conflict with the guide. Specifically, old versions of themehax and menuhax or anything else that could have been installed.
- The Emunand wasn't used too often and things like Mii/Streetpass/NNID were never set up, so about the only thing needed to backup are game saves. I'm more concerned about the sysnand (saves/NNID/Mii data) being transferred, if possible.
- Since there was no downgrading, I don't think Decrypt9 was needed. But I'd like to make sure I don't run into issues here.
- I can't remember if I linked the sysnand and emunand, so I'd like to know if there are any issues there
- There are a few dsiware games installed which I know can cause potential issues (but it should be fine if I format before, right?)

That's about it. I'm assuming it's fine to follow the guide as is and that any old hacks will simply be safely overwritten or updated, but I can't find any readily available information about this so I'd just like to make sure.

Last edited by SomeKindOfUsername,

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So according to Plailect's guide Basehax is only installable on US copies of OR/AS? Why is that? (I have a European retail copy of Omega Ruby)

TheDeathryder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know y'all probably get asked this a lot, but I keep getting myself confused trying to figure out exactly what I need to do to get NTR CFW running so that I can record 3ds gameplay.

I know that I need the new model 3ds, and that I need a SD card, but I'm unsure of the exact process I need to go through to install NTR. Can anyone link me to, or give me a very straight forward rundown of the exact process I have to go through to make this work? I've never modified a 3ds before.

robin96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hello! I need some help running EMUNAND9 on sysNAND 9.2.0-20U.

When I launched it the screen goes red then black and that's it.
Did I do something wrong? I have the latest version of EMUNAND9.

I'm trying to switch SD cards, and I want to format the new SD card for emuNAND transfer.
I can't create an image file and then restore to the new SD card because the new SD card is smaller than the previous one.

Thank you!

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know y'all probably get asked this a lot, but I keep getting myself confused trying to figure out exactly what I need to do to get NTR CFW running so that I can record 3ds gameplay.

I know that I need the new model 3ds, and that I need a SD card, but I'm unsure of the exact process I need to go through to install NTR. Can anyone link me to, or give me a very straight forward rundown of the exact process I have to go through to make this work? I've never modified a 3ds before.
To install NTR, you need a system with custom firmware (CFW), which you obviously don't have since you've never modded your 3DS before. If you're on 11.0 or 11.1, you need to either get a hardmod on your system or find another system with CFW in order to do the DSiware downgrade method. Those are your only two options. If you're on 10.7 or below, use a Homebrew entrypoint to downgrade to 9.2 so that you can set up CFW, preferably Luma3DS.
Hello! I need some help running EMUNAND9 on sysNAND 9.2.0-20U.

When I launched it the screen goes red then black and that's it.
Did I do something wrong? I have the latest version of EMUNAND9.

I'm trying to switch SD cards, and I want to format the new SD card for emuNAND transfer.
I can't create an image file and then restore to the new SD card because the new SD card is smaller than the previous one.

Thank you!
Did you have a failed downgrade to 9.2 by any chance? If you did, redo the downgrade and then try to open EmuNAND9.

robin96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
To install NTR, you need a system with custom firmware (CFW), which you obviously don't have since you've never modded your 3DS before. If you're on 11.0 or 11.1, you need to either get a hardmod on your system or find another system with CFW in order to do the DSiware downgrade method. Those are your only two options. If you're on 10.7 or below, use a Homebrew entrypoint to downgrade to 9.2 so that you can set up CFW, preferably Luma3DS.

Did you have a failed downgrade to 9.2 by any chance? If you did, redo the downgrade and then try to open EmuNAND9.

No I started from a vanilla 9.2 and not only EMUNAND9, I also can't open minipasta nor can I install menuhax.

I am running a luma3ds sysNAND 9.2.0-20U right now.

***Sorry I messed up this post***

Last edited by robin96,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. I followed everything on Plailect's guide until the very end of part 3.
Then you have to launch EmuNAND9 as a Luma3DS payload. Download the latest release of EmuNAND9, place the .bin file in your luma/payloads folder, rename it to x_EmuNAND9.bin, put your SD card back into your system, then press the X button and then the Power button to launch EmuNAND9 at boot.

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe you could try booting Emunand9 at boot with a payload? By puting it in the payload folder in the Luma folder after renaming the bin for it X_Emunand9.bin? (Ninja'd)

Last edited by Amapola62,

robin96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Then you have to launch EmuNAND9 as a Luma3DS payload. Download the latest release of EmuNAND9, place the .bin file in your luma/payloads folder, rename it to x_EmuNAND9.bin, put your SD card back into your system, then press the X button and then the Power button to launch EmuNAND9 at boot.
Maybe you could try booting Emunand9 at boot with a payload? By puting it in the payload folder in the Luma folder after renaming the bin for it X_Emunand9.bin? (Ninja'd)
YES!! Thank you both so much!!!
I've been struggling for the past 3 hours and now finally!

Thank you!

McWhiters9511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iv'e downgraded plenty of 3ds' plenty of times and know nearly all the errors you can get with them. I did my first downgrade in January when the 10.3 downgrade came out and was pretty familiar with downgrading after that but I am running into some troubles again. A few days ago i completed the dsiwarehax exploit and the system is on 10.4 showing 11.1. the whole process was successful. I had even checked with 3dSident for confirmation. I have now tried the original sysUpdater, SafeSysUpdater and PlaiSysUpdater and I either get a blank black screen on the original sysUpdater or this error message on the other two http://imgur.com/a/dHgNR I have never seen this error before and have to idea what to do to fix my situation, Does anyone have an idea?

dan0f3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HI All,

I hope someone can help me.

I have bought an Original Gateway Flashcard (with White and Blue card) way back then without realizing that it didn't work with the New 3DS XL.

So I left it for a while, and then played some retail games like Smash Bros. Etc

So now I want to get back to it and it seems gateway works with N3DS Now, but the guide seems complicated and I'm not sure if I need to update my N3ds first or buy orcarinia of time?

What I want to do with my N3DS:
- Play Retail games that I bought (like pokemon X Y or upcoming Sun / moon, mario kart. Etc)
- Play "backup";) Games, if you know what I mean
- If Possible, ability to Play Online
- Optional: Cheat in some games, mostly single player:D

I have a N3DS XL with version 9.2.0-20E

So here are my following questions:
1.) How do I install Gateway onto the system? Do I need to buy orcarina or cubic ninja? Is there a safe step to step guide?

2.) Would buying a Sky3ds+ be easier to accomplish what I want to do as stated above?

3.) do I need to update? I heard not to update and should downgrade instead?

I don't really want to install CFW on top of the system, because I might want to still buy retail games .etc

Thanks and sorry for the long read! :ha:

I dont' want to install to the CFW

I hate it when I ask a question and very clearly state what I DO NOT want and am told about it anyway... so i will answer your actual questions AND tell you stuff you specifically asked not to hear :grog:

Firstly I have done a lot before I did the custom firmware, First I wanted a flashcart to play DS games (edit: on my n3ds) the way the old ones did and even use the same save games if possible. I did my research and the people here helped point me in the right direction. The DS solution I ended up with is priceless to me and I use it all the time (more here if you are interested in in the flashcart). Still works with the most recent official. For my 3DS games, I used Sky3DS+ and it worked great. Expensive as f***, but worked for every game on on all official firmware (even today). You can use any game based exploit (OOT Cubic, etc) as Sky3DS is as basically seen as an official game. Online play is a no-go unles you buy a powersaves and pull a header out of a retail game and instert it into anygame you will ever go online with). Thats about as complicated as the CFW though. So that is what I would recommend if you were like me and absolutely refused to hack your shiz and needed the same solution as the old 100% fail-safe DS flashcarts with osmenu/AKAIO firmware from the good'ol days.

Now I have to say why I would DEFINITELY not do this. (here is the part I recommend what you already stated you did not want to do:lol:) You are on the best firmware version for the N3DS that you can be for following the step-by-step to A9HL + LUMA3DS. Starting at 9.2 you get to skip the most dangerous and frustrating step. This Plailect guide link is the end all for everything you want to accomplish. The guide seems so daunting if you have no clue what the instructions mean, but with this guide you really can be a layman and just follow it to the letter (asking questions in this thread anytime during the process). What you get for it? Runnning everything you asked from the official fully updated firmware after the hack is done. Real cart, backups, online play, eshop, freeshop, updates, DLC, ability to dump games, convert them etc. All that without any extra steps once the guide completes. Just did it myself and you can read my own posts here in this thread, fully surprised that I was actually done.

If you go with a flashcart solution... you will end up playing a game that updates your firmware past 9.2. Then you will have a VERY tough time downgrading. And if you get past 10.7... may as well give on the holy grail solution.

Good luck and ask anything regardless of the direction you go. This community is the best I know of online and someone will probably know how to help.

Edit: fixed some stuff that didn't make sense. F*** the rest, its fine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Last edited by dan0f3,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Iv'e downgraded plenty of 3ds' plenty of times and know nearly all the errors you can get with them. I did my first downgrade in January when the 10.3 downgrade came out and was pretty familiar with downgrading after that but I am running into some troubles again. A few days ago i completed the dsiwarehax exploit and the system is on 10.4 showing 11.1. the whole process was successful. I had even checked with 3dSident for confirmation. I have now tried the original sysUpdater, SafeSysUpdater and PlaiSysUpdater and I either get a blank black screen on the original sysUpdater or this error message on the other two http://imgur.com/a/dHgNR I have never seen this error before and have to idea what to do to fix my situation, Does anyone have an idea?
Did you follow exactly the guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Downgrade

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
ONLY use the sysdowngrader that is on the guide.
Instead of using Ninja, use Ocarina (with hax for the ver11.1 installed on a hacked console or with powersave)
With Ninja, you have to scan 15 QR codes, which make it very easy to miss/fail one.

As per guide instructions, if failed, try again, and if it still fail, try again...

After, you downgrade you can check if you have a clean 9.2 with this program from @zoogie in Homebrew:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/potenti...after-downgrading.410075/page-10#post-6006406

Mismatched or missing titles is bad, extra titles is OK.

Last edited by cravas,

jts2111

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to this and am having trouble getting the CFW working.
I was originally on 10.4 and downgraded with SysUpdater to 9.2 twice, with the second time not installing anything. I got browserhax working and set up an emunand with emunand9. I also set up CTRBootManager. I got to here easily. I then injected FBI to H/S. This went well. However, when I tried to install CakesFW, it went through with the installation (I turned on all plugins and autoboot) and I tried to launch the CFW. It went to a blank screen for five minutes. I rebooted the console and tried again. CakesFW would not load. Homebrew Launcher worked fine, but Emunand9 and Decrypt9WIP would not load. I do not know why this is happening. Any help available?

angelo22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it okay to swap the stock microSD card with a 64GB before the first boot? I assumed it was, but the stock card contains some info... do I need to copy them over the new one,I guess?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9aRPpmidM