• Replies 53,797
  • Likes 43

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks I'll take a look for that but I do have one more question. Anytime I try to run fbi it freezes iv tried both 1.4.17 and 1.4.15 both freeze any ideas?
did you inject fbi or install it and a freeze huh . . . not an error but a freeze?

Do you think I should get a New 3ds over the old one?
personally i am a fan of the o3ds because its simpler than n3ds on a cfw n3ds you can only update enunand (emulated nand (system firmware)) to 9.5 and must manually fix things in order to use the eshop (and i have seen two methods of doing this come and work for a while until they are blocked so . . ) while a cfw o3ds can have its emunand fully updated
on the other hand the n3ds is way stronger and plays more and better emulators than o3ds (but if i wanted an emulator i would get an android all i care about is 3ds games . . . that is the reason i wanted a 3ds for 3ds games)
also the n3ds can play n3ds only games (atm there are only 2 available and both are reproductions)

so the choice is yours but personally i dont see any real advantage to getting a n3ds over a o3ds at this point in the game (if you cant tell)

And do you think it's possible that the sky 3ds will be unusable with future updates?
this answer is like a roller coaster
the card itself possibly :unsure: but it has not yet been blocked so i dont think nintendo can or else the likely would have by now, however they have implemented a new AP method in the game saves that the current sky3ds card cant beat however sky3ds has made a new card (orange button)that will work and is upgrade-able so unlike previous sky3ds cards you will not need a new one in 6 months due to another change in saves or the system fw by big 'N' however that (orange button) card was supposed to come out before Christmas but here is the new year and the (reputable) flashcard sellers have refunded cash so . . .

my opinion don't get a sky
all o3ds models and most all 2ds systems if new will be in a good fw for cfw
and i gave you a link to find a good n3dsxl so if you choose a n3ds use that guide as a . . . well a guide . . . lol

Last edited by wormdood,

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I reinstalled ninjhax and it works fine now thanks for the help tho but while I'm here which cfw do you recommend?
RxTools is typically the recommended CFW for O3DS. RxTools or ReiNAND are both good for the N3DS.

Can the Sky3ds+ run trimmed ROMs without an issue?
No. The Sky3DS and Sky3DS+ can only run completely unmodified roms.

I think fw stands for firmware but what does cfw stand for?
Custom Firmware.

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If on CFW, can you play multiplayer normally with a rom?
The kids have some games like mario kart and fantasy life and wondering if I ran the rom we could play together?
Or will I need a sky or GW?

bghjkl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted this on the gateway thread but it's probably better asked here.

I've been using my gateway with my new3ds since it came out. It's on 9.0.0 right now (sys and emunand) and I've only ever used the gateway's software/updates (no other custom firmwares or anything like that) and I'm considering updating it to 9.2 specifically for the amiibo support. Is there a 100% safe way to do that? I've bricked my old3ds before by trying to update via a game rom, and there's nooooooooo way I'm clicking the update dialog and risking updating too far and breaking my compatibility.

I'm seeing some .cia packages that seem to be system updates... are those safe to use? and if so is there a guide? After the gateway release that let me launch into gateway's emunand via opening the ds profile, I sold my copy of cubic ninja, so my other question would be if the update packages would interfere with that..

thanks

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
I posted this on the gateway thread but it's probably better asked here.

I've been using my gateway with my new3ds since it came out. It's on 9.0.0 right now (sys and emunand) and I've only ever used the gateway's software/updates (no other custom firmwares or anything like that) and I'm considering updating it to 9.2 specifically for the amiibo support. Is there a 100% safe way to do that? I've bricked my old3ds before by trying to update via a game rom, and there's nooooooooo way I'm clicking the update dialog and risking updating too far and breaking my compatibility.

I'm seeing some .cia packages that seem to be system updates... are those safe to use? and if so is there a guide? After the gateway release that let me launch into gateway's emunand via opening the ds profile, I sold my copy of cubic ninja, so my other question would be if the update packages would interfere with that..

thanks
you can download system update cia using 3DNUS and update your emunand using these cia
no idea if it could work on sysnand though

bghjkl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can download system update cia using 3DNUS and update your emunand using these cia
no idea if it could work on sysnand though
Thanks, I'm looking at the 3DNUS page right now. I have no reason to update sysnand, only emunand. All I have to do is install the .cia and my emunand will be updated? No formatting or anything like that?

And it won't interfere with the MSET thing or the ds whitelist I installed from gateway v3.2 ?

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, I'm looking at the 3DNUS page right now. I have no reason to update sysnand, only emunand. All I have to do is install the .cia and my emunand will be updated? No formatting or anything like that?

And it won't interfere with the MSET thing or the ds whitelist I installed from gateway v3.2 ?
You can no longer use 3DNUS to download the 9.2 update files, Nintendo removed them from their servers which 3DNUS relied on. You can find the 9.2 update files on "some iso site."

To update sysNAND you MUST use either Pasta CFW or rxTools' devmode (devmode is available on the 2.5.2 and 3.0 beta releases) in combination with SysUpdater. Trying to install the cias in any other way WILL BRICK your 3DS.

To update sysNAND follow these steps:
1. Download the update cias from "some iso site."

2. Create a folder on the root of your 3DS's SD card named "updates" without the quotes.

3. Place all of the update cias inside the "updates" folder.

4. Download SysUpdater and place the SysUpdater cia on the root of your SD card.

5. Boot either Pasta CFW or rxTools' devmode (pasta mode on some of the latest releases). To boot rxTools' devmode hold either the L or R button (button differs depending on version of rxTools) when booting rxTools to open the rxTools menu. Go to advanced options and select to boot devmode. If you boot to sysNAND you have booted devmode successfully.

6. Use the cia installer of your choice to install the SysUpdater cia.

7. Launch SysUpdater and press the A button to update. Once it finishes reboot your 3DS. You should now be on 9.2.0-20! You MUST be in devmode or Pasta CFW to update sysNAND with SysUpdater! Otherwise you will brick your 3DS!

To update emuNAND, download the 9.5.0-23 update cias from "some iso site." I'd reccomend backing up your emuNAND with EmuNAND Tool before doing this.

1. Create a folder on the root of your 3DS's SD card named "updates" without the quotes.

2. Place all of the update cias inside the "updates" folder.

3. Download SysUpdater and place the SysUpdater cia on the root of your SD card.

4. Boot emuNAND and use the cia installer of your choice to install the SysUpdater cia.

5. Launch SysUpdater and press the A button to update. Once it finishes reboot your 3DS. Your emuNAND should now be 9.5.0-23!

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I need help getting a CIA installer on my JP New3DS (running RxTools)

Both NANDS are 9.1.0J (and unlinked) and I can't install FBI.cia on Emunand due to an error.

Source: SOURCE_AM_START_CIA_INSTALL (0x13)
Module: MODULE_NN_OS (0x6)
Level: LEVEL_PERMANENT (0x1b)
Summary: SUMMARY_WRONG_ARGUMENT (0x8)
Description: DESCRIPTION_INVALID_COMMAND (0x2f)

I'm booting into emunand from rxtools, then running hbl. what's going on?

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Both NANDS are 9.1.0J (and unlinked) and I can't install FBI.cia on Emunand due to an error.

The easiest way to get FBI in emunand is to install it in sysnand with PastaCFW and then creating emunand.

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

This is probably your issue:
Q: I'm getting a "DESCRIPTION_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST" / "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_DATABASE" error!
A: This shouldn't happen any more, as FBI takes care of initializing the database files for you. However, if it does, you likely haven't installed anything from eShop or other locations before. You will need to go to the "Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1>/dbs/" directory on your SD card and create empty "title.db" and "import.db" files. Then, go to System Settings -> Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Software on your 3DS and let it repair the database files.

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The easiest way to get FBI in emunand is to install it in sysnand with PastaCFW and then creating emunand.

I tried but then when I went back to sysnand it showed up for half a second then disappeared. I think it was because it was out of region or something.

This is probably your issue:

Uhhh... I tried doing that but it still gave me the same error. It should be working though right?

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried but then when I went back to sysnand it showed up for half a second then disappeared. I think it was because it was out of region or something.

Uhhh... I tried doing that but it still gave me the same error. It should be working though right?
Have you tried installing FBI via FBI injection? Maybe rxTools isn't liking the HBL version for some reason.

bghjkl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can no longer use 3DNUS to download the 9.2 update files, Nintendo removed them from their servers which 3DNUS relied on. You can find the 9.2 update files on "some iso site."

To update sysNAND you MUST use either Pasta CFW or rxTools' devmode (devmode is available on the 2.5.2 and 3.0 beta releases) in combination with SysUpdater. Trying to install the cias in any other way WILL BRICK your 3DS.

To update sysNAND follow these steps:
1. Download the update cias from "some iso site."

2. Create a folder on the root of your 3DS's SD card named "updates" without the quotes.

3. Place all of the update cias inside the "updates" folder.

4. Download SysUpdater and place the SysUpdater cia on the root of your SD card.

5. Boot either Pasta CFW or rxTools' devmode (pasta mode on some of the latest releases). To boot rxTools' devmode hold either the L or R button (button differs depending on version of rxTools) when booting rxTools to open the rxTools menu. Go to advanced options and select to boot devmode. If you boot to sysNAND you have booted devmode successfully.

6. Use the cia installer of your choice to install the SysUpdater cia.

7. Launch SysUpdater and press the A button to update. Once it finishes reboot your 3DS. You should now be on 9.2.0-20! You MUST be in devmode or Pasta CFW to update sysNAND with SysUpdater! Otherwise you will brick your 3DS!

To update emuNAND, download the 9.5.0-23 update cias from "some iso site." I'd reccomend backing up your emuNAND with EmuNAND Tool before doing this.

1. Create a folder on the root of your 3DS's SD card named "updates" without the quotes.

2. Place all of the update cias inside the "updates" folder.

3. Download SysUpdater and place the SysUpdater cia on the root of your SD card.

4. Boot emuNAND and use the cia installer of your choice to install the SysUpdater cia.

5. Launch SysUpdater and press the A button to update. Once it finishes reboot your 3DS. Your emuNAND should now be 9.5.0-23!
thanks for the info but i don't need it on sysnand. only emunand. The update packs i'm finding are a long list of .cia's with instructions to install all with bbm/devmenu. Is this all I have to do? is there any chance of bricking via this method in emunand? And are the update packs for n3ds the same as o3ds because they don't seem to be differentiated

Edited: just saw your second part of the post, I'll follow those instructions if I decide it's worth updating, but the question remains is there any risk of bricking if i follow those instructions in emunand? also is there any reason why you recommend 9.5 instead of 9.2?

Last edited by bghjkl,

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks for the info but i don't need it on sysnand. only emunand. The update packs i'm finding are a long list of .cia's with instructions to install all with bbm/devmenu. Is this all I have to do? is there any chance of bricking via this method in emunand? And are the update packs for n3ds the same as o3ds because they don't seem to be differentiated

Edited: just saw your second part of the post, I'll follow those instructions if I decide it's worth updating, but the question remains is there any risk of bricking if i follow those instructions in emunand? also is there any reason why you recommend 9.5 instead of 9.2?
With emuNAND, there's no risk of bricking the 3DS. You can corrupt your emuNAND, but even that would be unlikely. The reason I recommended 9.5 over 9.2 for emuNAND is that 9.5.0-23 is the latest version that the N3DS's emuNAND can be updated to. Beyond that, emuNAND won't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong