• Views 4,535,767
  • Replies 53,799
  • Likes 43

cloudfe

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You don't use win32diskimager, you format the sd and copy and paste like any other normal SD

Oh. Also, just some advice. I've read that copying one at a time is best, as you may get errors when loading a rom or something if you copy them all at once. Just a head's up.

Ok, thank you both :)

wischmob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
okay, another question from me...

I´m still waiting for my Gateway to arrive so i do not have any practical experience with this. I´ve read through some threads here and there and had an idea. So we all know currently there´s a little problem with emuNAND 7.2 and the access to eShop and System Settings because of some new encryption keys (i think?). I had the thought - maybe stupid, but still - what if one was having a dump of his 4.x sysNAND and a hardware mod so one could update and reflash his sysNAND to his liking? Wouldnt he be able to update his sysNAND to the newest firmware, do whatever he needs to, say download game updates, configuring some stuff in System Settings or something like that? He sure can make another dump of his sysNAND afterwards, but this time with 7.2 firmware.
Now my thought on this matter: Since i do not know how exactly the emuNAND is set up and what kind of format the dumped sysNAND has, i was like "What if one replaces his emuNAND with the freshly dumped 7.2 sysNAND?" This way you could always have access to the settings and eshop and miiverse, albeit with a bit of work to be done beforehand. it would be the perfect workaround until Gateway manages to decrypt the latest encryption keys to give back control over System Settings and eShop.

Now please tell me this is possible... if not, then please tell me that at least it was a nice idea ^^

TL;DR version of my idea:

Dump sysNAND 4.x
Update to sysNAND 7.2
Do stuff
Dump sysNAND 7.2 when stuff is done
Reflash sysNAND 4.x
Somehow replace current emuNAND 7.2 with dumped sysNAND 7.2

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Already done, and works, but not so easy for average users.....just to clarify, eshop etc still won't work once it's set up to emunand, but any updates you downloaded from eshop while your sysnand is set up to 7.2 will still work once you transfer the 7.2 NAND to emunand

wischmob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But still - having the hardware modded USB slot and a Gateway card will enable me to do this? if so, great! Im totally a sub-average user ´cause i didnt have the chance to dive into this yet, but on paper this made me smile.

Thanks for confirmation! Once my gateway arrived and my 3DS XL is modified with the USB slot, i will totally try this.

FaisalS97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If I play some games on a 2GB MicroSD and then later switch to a 16GB MicroSD, will all the save files for my games remain? Or will I have to mess around with some settings?

This is with Card1 games btw, not Card2 (Pokemon X/Y, Animal Crossing:New Leaf).

Kontributor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NOOB ALERT: I got a silly question here. What exactly is a scene dump? I understand that a dump is an act of moving all data from a game cartridge to make a ROM image. So what is a scene dump in general and as opposed to gateway dump? Your noob tolerance is highly appreciated.

Shadowlicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, can I use the MT card to play with a retail game without updating?

Like, going into MT mode, and using a new retail game without force updating to a new version

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Kontributor

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NOOB ALERT: I got a silly question here. What exactly is a scene dump? I understand that a dump is an act of moving all data from a game cartridge to make a ROM image. So what is a scene dump in general and as opposed to gateway dump? Your noob tolerance is highly appreciated.
Scene dumps are ones that are dumped by warez groups (ie. the rom you download is most likely a scene release).
A gateway dump is a game dump that is made through the gateway firmware (Usually refers to personal dumps you make yourself. However, scene dumps may be made with gateway method too)

edit: ninja'd

Kontributor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scene dumps are ones that are dumped by warez groups (ie. the rom you download is most likely a scene release).
A gateway dump is a game dump that is made through the gateway firmware (Usually refers to personal dumps you make yourself. However, scene dumps may be made with gateway method too)

edit: ninja'd

If I want to make my own gateway dump, I would have to have a retail cart and then I would just do a ROM backup from the gateway menu, amirite?

Herobroski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got Resident Evil Revelations retail cart from ebay (it was used). I opened gateway, and I did Backup 3ds Game Cartridge on it. Sometime during the process, it said... "
>>Error! Press A to exit
>>FFFFFFFD
"
What does this mean exactly?
I took out the sd card and put it in the computer. I checked all the files. There were two new files created, one was a .3d0 file and the other was a .3d1 file. The Backup 3ds Game Cartridge did make a backup of it. But Im still confused because it said error midway through the process. The two newly created files just might be "partial" files, which are files that are partially downloaded but were unfinished. So now im scared. idk
Problem was solved. Ignore this message.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you wouldn't suggest using some sort of rom trimming tool? Is there a lack of reliability when it comes to trimmed roms?

Well, Card1 cards work fine with "trim". However "Super Trimming"/"Remove Update Data" usually breaks games. The update data only really is about 30mb, too. So it won't make much of a difference. Card2 games (NAND-saving ones, such as Animal Crossing or Pokemon should never be trimmed. Like at all. Neither regular nor super).

Also, apparently only Gateway supports exFAT from what someone told me.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have a question: I know you can't DL patches for games as the eShop isn't working on emunand, but can you download ROMs that already have the patch applied? Or it is not applied to the ROM itself?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only Mario kart has been released as an updated cartridge, so you can get the rom of that and not need the patch. There are no patched roms of the other games that need updates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...